Ross County - upcoming renewal

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Ross County - upcoming renewal

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Earlier this year, I contacted the Ross County Sheriff's Office because of an additional form they were requiring CHL applicants to fill out.

The form asked questions about an applicant's mental health history and medication use. This form was NOT authorized by Ohio law and the Sheriff's office did NOT inform applicants that filling out the form was voluntary.

When I asked for a copy of a BLANK FORM, which should have been provided as an open record under Ohio law, my request was refused TWICE by the deputy that runs the CHL desk.

To his credit, Sheriff Lavender corrected the situation. This form (I am told) is no longer used.

Now for part 2...

Ross county is one of those that wants to see your original training certificate if you are renewing from a different county. As many of you know, this is NOT a requirement under Ohio law.

I spoke with the deputy last week and told her that this wasn't required. She replied that "...some other Sheriffs may have accepted credentials that we wouldn't have..." as the reason for requiring the certificate.

While getting to pick and choose is not something the Sheriff is authorized to do under Ohio law, they ARE supposed to verify a few items regarding the competency certificate...except for a renewal. There is NO requirement for ANY competency certificate as part of a renewal, under Ohio law.

On a topic that bothers me on a personal level, the deputy in question is still requiring that an applicant certify TO HER that one has read the CHL manual. I say "still" because I pointed this out to her during our last encounter. As this particular certification is part of the actual application, there is NO requirement that an applicant certify anything TO HER (say it with me) under Ohio law.

Why am I writing this TL;DR worthy missive now? Simple...

I live in an adjoining county. I have PURPOSELY allowed my Ohio CHL to expire. I will be renewing in Ross county, with the deputy in question.

All I am looking for is for the Sheriff (and deputies) to follow the law, just like they demand of us.

If those that are elected and hired to enforce the law DO NOT KNOW or DO NOT FOLLOW the laws, I will politely advise them so that corrections can be made. I have informed the deputy without success. I will attempt to contact the Sheriff on Monday, or at least leave a voicemail, advising him of my concerns. Hopefully, things will go smoothly at my renewal appointment.

As an open carrier, it won't really affect me if they decide to..."be thorough"...and stretch my renewal out the full 45 days.

Wish me luck? :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
dowop

Re: Ross County - upcoming renewal

Post by dowop »

I wish you luck & give you a lot of credit for all you do!
docachna

Post by docachna »

Document, document, document. If they can give you the runaround, and call you a liar, they will.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

docachna wrote:Document, document, document. If they can give you the runaround, and call you a liar, they will.
Bear in mind, everyone, that Ohio is a "one party knowledge" state where it comes to recording conversations.
That means that ONLY you need to be aware that YOU are using a voice recorder during all conversations in which you are a party.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Go get 'em, and good luck MWSY!
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:As an open carrier, it won't really affect me if they decide to..."be thorough"...and stretch my renewal out the full 45 days.
Other than the inconvenience of unloading and properly storing before entering a motor vehicle of course. (I know you know this MWSY, that's more for the casual reader who may not be aware.)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

JustaShooter wrote:Go get 'em, and good luck MWSY!
Yes. Thanks for your dedication to the cause!
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

For being a pain in their.....uh....thorn in their side, they'll probably take the full 45 days on purpose, too.

"We'll show him"
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Good luck. Also thank you for your service to our cause.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

If needed I can bring mustard for any bologna sandwiches served to MWSY during incarceration at the Ross County jail.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Brian D. wrote:If needed I can bring mustard for any bologna sandwiches served to MWSY during incarceration at the Ross County jail.
Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?
MyWifeSaidYes
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Brian D. wrote:If needed I can bring mustard for any bologna sandwiches served to MWSY during incarceration at the Ross County jail.
Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?
Grey Poupon? That stuff's made in New York City :shock: !!!!
Give em' Hell Pike!!!