Wife looking for holster suggestions

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

searay268

Wife looking for holster suggestions

Post by searay268 »

My wife recently received her CCW and is looking for suggestions for a holster. She often wears dresses and clothing that aren't "tight" but they are form fitting so not baggy either. She wants a holster that isn't going to be obvious by just looking at her and she would prefer something that is higher than her waist.

Thank you
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Wife looking for holster suggestions

Post by sd790 »

The flashbang holster is somewhat popular. It depends on certain physical attributes to be concealable. They can be found at amazon for low prices these days.
The ladies in my life have unfortunately resorted to purse carry when they are dressed in form-fitting clothing. Setting up the purse properly and frequently practice is critical for this to be even a mediocre option.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Regarding the flashbang holster, I know two women who have tried it. They both have the same bra size I think. You don't have to have large size breasts for concealment. The younger one with the flat stomach loves it, the one that doesn't have a flat stomach didn't like it. It was okay for her until she sat down, then her stomach flipped it to a horizontal like position, and she had to manually push it back down flat when she stood up.

My wife uses a gun purse with a holster that you draw from horizontally from the side. That way she can put other stuff in the top and it doesn't get mixed in all together. The strap is also cut resistant. She also uses a velcro belly band at times, and when wearing a belt, a pink Bulldog brand gun carrier that looks like a cell phone holder. The disadvantage to those is

A: it only works with 380 or below autos, and

B: it has holes in the bottom, so you can push it out with your fingers as you open the flap, for a faster draw. The technique turns out to be very fast IF you practice it, but pretty slow and awkward if you don't.

She also has a pocket holster for the winter time for her coat, which works really well.
searay268

Post by searay268 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't see the flashbang holster as an option, just don't think she'll like it. She doesn't like taking her purse into work with her so I doubt that's an option either. We'll have to keep checking.
pediem
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by pediem »

I use the IWB kydex holsters for a couple of my handguns. They fit well and stay in place.

http://thewellarmedwoman.com/in-the-waistband-by-twaw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

When you said
she would prefer something that is higher than her waist.
the only two options I can think of at this moment is either the belly band, (which can technically be worn above the waist) or those undershirt things with a side holster sewn in.
rainmaker
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rainmaker »

Might have your wife look at Kathy Jackson's The Cornered Cat website. She talks about such things there, and has a lot of info on how-to-do and options to look at.
Steve
NRA member (long, long time)
NMLRA member (even longer)
OFCC member, BFA member
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Maybe another option?

http://frontsightpress.com/2016/02/band-of-druthers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^ What I really like about this particular write-up is that it's a setup that's truly been pressure-cooked in a training class that's a known-quantity in the industry.

I know men who wear "belly band" holsters higher than their waist for concealment reasons. Just be aware that hardware maintenance can be more intensive due to sweat and seepage from antiperspirant use.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
searay268

Post by searay268 »

Thank you all for the suggestions. I really appreciate it.