leaving gun in car

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

cyy

leaving gun in car

Post by cyy »

I plan to be with my father in a few days and we will be driving and making several stops. I have a ccw license although he does not. One or more stops that I need to make are no gun zones, my father will be waiting in the car. Can I leave my gun (loaded) in the car while he waits. Would I need to lock it up each time or would I be able to place it in a glove box or center console.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: leaving gun in car

Post by schmieg »

You can't leave the gun in the car with your father if he has access to it. If you have a trunk, I would suggest unloading it and placing it there or locking it in the glove box and not leaving him with a key to those areas. Otherwise, take a range bag or other container with you, unload the gun and place it and the ammunition in separate sections of the bag where each section closes with a snap, clasp, velcro or something similar.

It's a PITA, but that is the wisdom imparted by our legislators.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

schmieg wrote:...but that is the wisdom imparted by our legislators.
Did you laugh out loud when you wrote that part? :evil:
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
docachna

Post by docachna »

He did not specify that these stops would be within Ohio.

If he is going out of state, the situation complicates.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Buy a one gun locking security container that can be locked to the seat frame with a cable and lock. Keep the key on your person.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

deanimator wrote:Buy a one gun locking security container that can be locked to the seat frame with a cable and lock. Keep the key on your person.
That still falls afoul of ORC 2923.16 (C)
(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:
It must be unloaded for it to be in the motor vehicle if there is an unlicensed person in the vehicle. I know, it makes no sense that this section doesn't include the "in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger" language that is included in section (B), and it may be that a given LEO won't split that particular hair, but I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to risk it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
cyy

Post by cyy »

Thanks for the replys. We will be in Ohio, It is getting harder for him to get around so I am helping him take care of his errands. I do have a locking case with the Cable it has a combination lock I thought about either putting that under my seat or in the truck but was not sure if I had to separate the ammo or if I can lock it while it is loaded. It is kinda a pita although we will be going to some questionable areas and this is kinda the reason to have a ccw. If I put the gun in the trunk and lock the case would I need to still separate the ammo and if so can I put that inside the car like in the center console
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Stryker74 wrote:
schmieg wrote:...but that is the wisdom imparted by our legislators.
Did you laugh out loud when you wrote that part? :evil:
No, because the impact is really not that funny.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

cyy wrote:Thanks for the replys. We will be in Ohio, It is getting harder for him to get around so I am helping him take care of his errands. I do have a locking case with the Cable it has a combination lock I thought about either putting that under my seat or in the truck but was not sure if I had to separate the ammo or if I can lock it while it is loaded. It is kinda a pita although we will be going to some questionable areas and this is kinda the reason to have a ccw. If I put the gun in the trunk and lock the case would I need to still separate the ammo and if so can I put that inside the car like in the center console
Justashooter posted part of 2923.16(C). Here is the rest of it:
(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:
(1) In a closed package, box, or case;
(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;
The ammo must be in a separate container that closes with a latch or clasp etc.
-- Mike

cyy

Post by cyy »

Thanks again for the replys. Would I need to empty the magazine or can I place the loaded magazine in a separate container?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Loaded magazines in a separate enclosure that closes with a latch, clasp, velcro, zipper, etc. are OK
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Scoutmaster

Post by Scoutmaster »

Unload, including the chamber, secure the gun, take the ammo with you.
I would personally love to spend another 30 replies educating you about the racist history of gun control, what an assault weapon is, the finer points of the law, or the varying lethality of different weapons. But I doubt you're interested. For some reason the statist side of this argument seems to think ignorance is strength. RookCastle
Each positive interaction helps to create a new normal. Tweed Ring
Cause of death: terminal failure of the victim selection process. Bobk
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Scoutmaster wrote:Unload, including the chamber, secure the gun, take the ammo with you.
In Ohio, there is no legal requirement to take the ammo with you. It can be left in the car if stored as mentioned in earlier posts.

This is important in case the CPZ (Criminal Protection Zone) you're entering may not allow you to carry ammo, even though you are without a firearm.
MyWifeSaidYes
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Scoutmaster wrote:Unload, including the chamber, secure the gun, take the ammo with you.
In Ohio, there is no legal requirement to take the ammo with you. It can be left in the car if stored as mentioned in earlier posts.

This is important in case the CPZ (Criminal Protection Zone) you're entering may not allow you to carry ammo, even though you are without a firearm.
Most Sheriff stations are that way - important to remember when you renew.
-- Mike

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Had a friend bring this up. He has Ohio CHL, his wife doesn't. They run errands, shop, etc together. Mostly he gets out of vehicle to go in the stores, wife stays in vehicle. He admitted to leaving gun behind in the console, loaded, sometimes. We went over his options:

1) Wife could get CHL
2) Wife could go into the stores instead of him
3) He could take gun with him each time*
4) He could unload /legally secure gun errand by errand*
5) He could keep gun holstered on himself while driving, and suck up being uncomfortable
6) He could keep doing like now and roll dice with the legal system every day.

* Numbers 3 and 4 above involve WAY too much needless handling of a firearm in a confined space in my opinion.

There may be more options than what I rattled off, but those seemed like enough to choose from.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.