leaving gun in car

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OhioPaints

Re: leaving gun in car

Post by OhioPaints »

He could put the gun in the trunk and take the keys with him.

OR... he could just go to Kentucky to conduct his business where it has been legal to have a loaded firearm in the glovebox since long before CCW became legal. Isn't it amazing how the Kentucky legislature has so much more respect for their law abiding citizens than the Ohio legislature?
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:Had a friend bring this up. He has Ohio CHL, his wife doesn't. They run errands, shop, etc together. Mostly he gets out of vehicle to go in the stores, wife stays in vehicle. He admitted to leaving gun behind in the console, loaded, sometimes. We went over his options:

1) Wife could get CHL
2) Wife could go into the stores instead of him
3) He could take gun with him each time*
4) He could unload /legally secure gun errand by errand*
5) He could keep gun holstered on himself while driving, and suck up being uncomfortable
6) He could keep doing like now and roll dice with the legal system every day.

* Numbers 3 and 4 above involve WAY too much needless handling of a firearm in a confined space in my opinion.

There may be more options than what I rattled off, but those seemed like enough to choose from.
I like 1,2,3, and 5 as a combination. And he's not rolling the dice for himself.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Brian D. wrote:Had a friend bring this up. He has Ohio CHL, his wife doesn't. They run errands, shop, etc together. Mostly he gets out of vehicle to go in the stores, wife stays in vehicle. He admitted to leaving gun behind in the console, loaded, sometimes. We went over his options:

1) Wife could get CHL
5) He could keep gun holstered on himself while driving, and suck up being uncomfortable

* Numbers 3 and 4 above involve WAY too much needless handling of a firearm in a confined space in my opinion.

There may be more options than what I rattled off, but those seemed like enough to choose from.

Question for the legal eagles: What law is actually being broken here? Is there a law that says you can't leave a pistol in a car with another person in there?
Or is it a judgemental question of whether or not the person left in the car is actually in possesion of the gun, even though they may not know about it?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Chuck wrote:

1) Wife could get CHL

Question for the legal eagles: What law is actually being broken here? Is there a law that says you can't leave a pistol in a car with another person in there?
Or is it a judgemental question of whether or not the person left in the car is actually in possesion of the gun, even though they may not know about it?
Improper handling. Person in car has no CHL. Loaded gun in car. Problem is to convince court that she had no knowledge or access to gun. Courts frown on that.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Does it happen often?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Chuck wrote:Does it happen often?
Not sure, but i remember a few cases back when concealed carry was first legalized, usually when someone left a gun in the glove box and a family member was stopped for a traffic offense and went to get the insurance and registration out of the glove box. It was one of the primary reasons my wife decided to get a license as she didn't like the idea of me taking a leak at a tree at rest stops so she wouldn't have to stand outside the car. She also got tired of having to go get me coffee at some of the rest stops where the coffee machines were inside a building. Those problems have since been legislatively resolved, but many others (such as those of Brian's friend) remain. The danger is not to Brian's friend, at least not directly, but to his wife. However, I bet if she got busted, he would rue the day.
-- Mike

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

We all live in different circumstances. Mostly I'm out and about by myself in my own vehicle. Gun can go in console when keeping it on my hip during longer drives might be uncomfortable. No passenger(s) muzzled when stowing or retrieving pistol. But still, all negligent discharges occur while a gun is being handled, I minimize such situations and am EXTREMELY careful each time.

Worse case scenario for me is valet parking, something I've always hated anyway, since getting my driver's license in 1978. On the rare occasion that's the only parking option, the gun definitely comes with me. After CHL but before carry in class D liquor establishments became lawful, I absolutely wouldn't put myself in those circumstances.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Scoutmaster

Post by Scoutmaster »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Scoutmaster wrote:Unload, including the chamber, secure the gun, take the ammo with you.
In Ohio, there is no legal requirement to take the ammo with you. It can be left in the car if stored as mentioned in earlier posts.

This is important in case the CPZ (Criminal Protection Zone) you're entering may not allow you to carry ammo, even though you are without a firearm.
I did not suggest nor did I mean to imply that this was a legal requirement. I was merely offering another suggestion to the OP that he might be comfortable with.
Since ammo is not a 'dangerous ordinance' I have no concern of the CPZ's reaction to an item they will never see and which is not illegal to carry.
I would personally love to spend another 30 replies educating you about the racist history of gun control, what an assault weapon is, the finer points of the law, or the varying lethality of different weapons. But I doubt you're interested. For some reason the statist side of this argument seems to think ignorance is strength. RookCastle
Each positive interaction helps to create a new normal. Tweed Ring
Cause of death: terminal failure of the victim selection process. Bobk
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Scoutmaster wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Scoutmaster wrote:Unload, including the chamber, secure the gun, take the ammo with you.
In Ohio, there is no legal requirement to take the ammo with you. It can be left in the car if stored as mentioned in earlier posts.

This is important in case the CPZ (Criminal Protection Zone) you're entering may not allow you to carry ammo, even though you are without a firearm.
I did not suggest nor did I mean to imply that this was a legal requirement. I was merely offering another suggestion to the OP that he might be comfortable with.
Since ammo is not a 'dangerous ordinance' I have no concern of the CPZ's reaction to an item they will never see and which is not illegal to carry.
Try walking into a courthouse with a loaded mag.
-- Mike

Scoutmaster

Post by Scoutmaster »

If I did what law would I be breaking?
I would personally love to spend another 30 replies educating you about the racist history of gun control, what an assault weapon is, the finer points of the law, or the varying lethality of different weapons. But I doubt you're interested. For some reason the statist side of this argument seems to think ignorance is strength. RookCastle
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Scoutmaster wrote:If I did what law would I be breaking?
None, but you won't get in.
-- Mike

glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

schmieg wrote:
None, but you won't get in.
Oh..he'll get in just fine...but his magazine will get held up at the checkpoint. :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Scoutmaster

Post by Scoutmaster »

schmieg wrote:
None, ...

That's what I thought. I inferred from your comments that I would be in some kind of trouble. Policy is not law and of no concern to me.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

You may or may not be in trouble. Getting out of it will depend on where you are and how much you are willing to spend. Don't count on the law to protect you until your case comes up in court.

And, if they do confiscate your mag to let you in, you may have trouble getting it and the ammo back.
-- Mike

Buckeyedoc

Post by Buckeyedoc »

docachna wrote:He did not specify that these stops would be within Ohio.

If he is going out of state, the situation complicates.
Exactly. If you are going to different states, please make sure you check their laws regarding transport of firearms. Sometimes different states require the ammo and gun be completely separated and in different parts of the vehicle.