CHL Approval odds with Disorderly Conduct

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Iceaxle618

CHL Approval odds with Disorderly Conduct

Post by Iceaxle618 »

Okay, So this question has probably been asked before, but it's hard to find answers most specific to my situation.

In 2013 my boyfriend and I were drinking and got into a fight and the police were called. We were both arrested on Domestic Violence charges. Once in court, the charged was reduced to a Disorderly conduct persisting 2917.11(A), I had to go take an alcohol assessment, where the counselor determined I didn't have a problem, I paid my fines and the case was closed. I went about my life and never thought about it again. I don't know if it matters but I am also no longer with the boyfriend.

Now I am trying to get my CHL. I haven't applied yet, but am wondering if this case will effect my odds of being approved. I never had the cased expunged or sealed. I've seen, read and heard all kinds of different things so I wanted to ask on this form.

I've read that I wont get approved if I was charged with ORC 2917.11(A)(1), however, on my case information there is no numbers following the letter (A). It just reads:

2917.11(A)
Reduction

Do you think because it doesn't have the number (1) following the letter (A) that it wont be considered a violent crime, or linked to the DV arrest? Or is automatically linked to the DV and I'll get denied because of that arrest? Would sealing it help approval odds?

I know, really I should just apply and see what happens and go from there, but I appreciate any, comments, advice or insight anyone can offer. Thanks
bsctov

Re: CHL Approval odds with Disorderly Conduct

Post by bsctov »

Generally if the subsection is not listed properly or is incomplete (as in your case) the FBI will treat it as if you were simply convicted of the entire statue including the one that has an element of violence. I'd be more concerned about being in possession of firearms/ammunition while under federal disability instead of ccw approval.

You can call a lawyer and see if they could amend the subsection to a non disqualifying one, and that would fix things. Or, you could attempt to have the conviction set aside (virtually impossible)