Knife Carry Laws in Ohio

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Knife Carry Laws in Ohio

Post by JustaShooter »

jeep45238 wrote:And why any knife I do carry is a folder that I actually do use in a utilitarian sense. If I can't articulate how the knife is used as a tool, and only a tool, I don't carry it. Too many grey areas in the law and no standard knife law in Ohio.
Exactly so - and why I carry a Benchmade Triage. Given the features I can easily articulate why I carry it as a tool I use daily and why I want to have it "just in case" (but *not* for self defense). The blade shape probably also helps for that as well.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I carry a benchmade 530 - has a spear point, which makes it easy to have precise control for delecate cutting tasks, a thin blade to easily open mail without damaging the contents, a lock that prevents it from accidnetly closing on me/allows me to safely close it one handed while my other hand holds said thing that's been cut, thin enough to prevent it from accidnetly opening while taking out of pocket, light enough/small enough to not be a nuissance, long enough to get leverage for tough-to-get-to strappings, and a shape/flat belly that allows for easy sharpening to my stupidly high standards.

What I'm cutting changes the context of the above features, but the features are the same regardless.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

When I was in fire/EMS, carried whatever knife I felt like. Almost always a folder, some were spring assist opening. That meant they were able to be quickly grasped and deployed with one hand. They have become ubiquitous among first responders, and really much of the general population, because of utility and ease of use. Plus, they don't jangle around loose in a pocket and wear a hole in the lining. I see the tell-tale pocket clips so often, it's unimaginable that more than a tiny percentage of police officers focus in on them with the idea of using it as the sole "reason" to interact with someone.

I'm not going to change up my knife carry choices because of retirement--unless a better kind of cutting implement comes along.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

My favorite bottle opener that includes a knife!
https://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-Crate ... nife&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Not very many states have knife law preemption, there are a handful, but Ohio isn't one of them.
Quite a few Ohio cities have laws that make 2 1/2" blade length Max. the limit.
Definition of Concealed
In 1929, in Porello v. State, the Supreme Court of Ohio found that concealed “on or about his person” meant that the weapon was kept in close proximity so as to be convenient and within immediate reach. In State v. Pettit, in 1969 the Court was asked to define ‘concealed’ and decided used the definition given by the Court of Appeals of Maryland, in Shipley v. State. The Shipley Court said that a weapon was concealed so situated as not to be discernible by ordinary observation by those near enough to see it if it were not concealed. It specified that absolute invisibility was not required, stating that ordinary observation did not extend to an unusually careful, thorough, or detailed search.
some further reading..
http://www.knifeup.com/ohio-knife-laws/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knife Laws from handgunlaw.us
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

otf Knife laws
http://ravencresttactical.com/otf-knife-laws/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really surprised Knife Rights no longer seems to have the state laws listed, only their Legal Blande app is available for $1.99 to view the laws. bummer this used to be the go-to organization to get this info.

Remember information on the Internet is worth only as much as you paid for it..
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Haven't looked lately but I don't think many states have a preemption law that negates individual municipal statutes. So putting together a legal guide would be quite onerous. Even worse to study such a thing for travel purposes.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Brian D. wrote:Haven't looked lately but I don't think many states have a preemption law that negates individual municipal statutes. So putting together a legal guide would be quite onerous. Even worse to study such a thing for travel purposes.
https://kniferights.org/?s=preemption" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas, Oklahoma, Utah, New Hampshire, and Arizona have Knife preemption in place so 5 out of 50 states. still doesn't mean the states knife laws are any good.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson