Medina County Upcoming Renewal

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djhobbes

Medina County Upcoming Renewal

Post by djhobbes »

After a long discussion with another co-worker last night who just obtained his permit, I decided to dig mine out and refresh my memory of when it expires and found I will need to renew this summer.

I headed over to the Medina County Sheriff's website to see what was what and download the application to read through it. I was a little concerned with what I found.

I seem to recall at one point that providing a Social Security Number was optional. The form (http://www.medinasheriff.com/pdf%20Docs ... enewal.pdf) provided on Medina's website appears to have the word "optional" whited out or obscured. I checked the Ohio AG's website and the field for SSN is indeed listed as optional.

What are thoughts on this? Can they independently require a SSN? Do I run the risk of denial by refusing to provide my SSN? Is it worth the argument?
"It is easy to be brave from a safe distance." -AESOP
djthomas

Re: Medina County Upcoming Renewal

Post by djthomas »

With all due respect, what are you afraid of? When they run your background check your SSN is going to be plastered all over every LEADS and BCI report they get back, even if they don't use it to initiate the check. In fact, they'll probably fill it in for you if you leave it blank. The application is not a public record and they're going to get it anyway, so from a security perspective I don't see the big deal.

On the other hand if it's more about taking a principled stand against the man, well, more power to you. It's not the hill I'd choose to die on but carry on. :D
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Print one from the AG site, fill it out, leave the SSN blank, and highlight the word "optional".

From what I remember of similar discussions here in the past, the Sheriff can't change such things and make up requirements out of the blue.

Only issue might be, as when buying a firearm, if there is someone with a similar name or other identifying info and they are prohibited, if there is any confusion between the two it might cause you problems. But with the fingerprints and other info it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

As for if it is worth the argument... Only you can make that call. Personally, I'd do as stated above.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Notasmiff

Post by Notasmiff »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you go to another adjoining Co.like when first getting permit ?
I went to Wayne and the do appt. every 15 min
I think leaving SS out just slows the background check a bit.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Notasmiff wrote:I think leaving SS out just slows the background check a bit.
Agreed. Why make it difficult for them and for yourself? When I apply or renew I try to be as helpful as I can...so I get my license processed quickly and smoothly. Being a Richard almost always results in delays.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Why reward bad behavior? Using the CORRECT and LEGAL form is hardly being a Richard.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

Pop said we can schedule renewal online and that MC is backed up until like July.
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
Notasmiff

Post by Notasmiff »

I'm still curious if you have to go to the same County as issued for a renewal ?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Notasmiff wrote:I'm still curious if you have to go to the same County as issued for a renewal ?
No, you can renew in your current county of residence, or any county that shares a border with your current county of residence. Those choices may or may not include the county that issued your license...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
sawco

Post by sawco »

I live in Cuyahoga county. I got my initial license from Medina county, my first renewal from Cuyahoga county and my most recent renewal from Lake county. The determining factor each time was the earliest available appointment.
If you are required to have a background check to buy a gun, then, for the love of God, you should be required to have one to become President.
carbine357

Post by carbine357 »

go to wayne county
very pro gun. if u go mid week on an appointment u will probably leave with ur ccw i hand

cCt Doug Hunter is 1 of the best pro gun officers around
also a world class pistol shooter per ken hackathorn
quit to raise a family
no 1 here even close. if u are u will know him from the 80's.

carbine 357