Conceal Carry Reciprocity

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TTTDawg

Conceal Carry Reciprocity

Post by TTTDawg »

Hi all. Newly registered to the forums although i've followed them for quite a while. I've had my CCW permit since 2007.

Question that is probably answered on the boards somewhere. My wife and I travel to and from Ohio to South Carolina twice a year but to avoid a mistake in other states I always, at the last rest area in Ohio going down, unload my magazine and store the weapon and mags seperate from the ammunition. Coming back I always rewind and load and CC at the 1st rest area in Ohio .

I know that we have reciprocity with the states we travel thru but just wanna know, in the most simplest terms, how to travel/carry thru, notify, etc thru the following states.

West Virginia
Virginia
North Caro
South Caro

Your more than welcome to start off with: "just do this, bonehead". :D
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Conceal Carry Reciprocity

Post by JustaShooter »

Welcome to the OFCC forums!

Being aware of, and complying with, state laws for states that you visit is a very good idea. Being of the "teach a man to fish" mindset, I'll offer the following:

Probably the best resource for finding out such things is http://www.handgunlaw.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - just click on the state you are interested in and you will be presented with a PDF summarizing their firearms laws. You'll have to scroll past a bunch of information about applying for a license, etc., but you'll eventually see things like "Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?" “NO” and "Must Inform Officer Immediately on Contact By Law?" “NO", etc.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cloudwraith »

I use a an app on my phone called CCW. It updates rapidly and stays on top of law changes for all 50 states. Easy to pull up, tap a state and see what's what. Also, you can put in all of your state permits (if you have multiple) and you will get a map of the U.S. showing every state you are legal to carry in. I use android but I'm assuming there is a version for iOS as well.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I check Handgunlaw.us before going into unfamiliar states just to see if there is anything weird or unusual I need to know about. Other than that I don't worry too much about it. Concealed means concealed. especially in unfamiliar territory. Of course I try to avoid the anti states. Those are mostly the states we don't have reciprocity with anyway.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Notasmiff

Post by Notasmiff »

I believe Va is a problem, since last year.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Cloudwraith wrote:I use a an app on my phone called CCW.
The one titled "CCW - Concealed Carry 50 State" by Workman Consulting for $1.99?
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Notasmiff wrote:I believe Va is a problem, since last year.
Not any longer, it was corrected within a month of them dropping reciprocity with OH.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cloudwraith »

rimfireOH wrote:
Cloudwraith wrote:I use a an app on my phone called CCW.
The one titled "CCW - Concealed Carry 50 State" by Workman Consulting for $1.99?

That is the one.
TTTDawg

Post by TTTDawg »

Tks to all the replies.

Just wanna be as correct as possible whilst traveling thru
MS-13-ville, etc.
TTTDawg

Post by TTTDawg »

Cloudwraith wrote:I use a an app on my phone called CCW. It updates rapidly and stays on top of law changes for all 50 states. Easy to pull up, tap a state and see what's what. Also, you can put in all of your state permits (if you have multiple) and you will get a map of the U.S. showing every state you are legal to carry in. I use android but I'm assuming there is a version for iOS as well.
Tks. Nice app. Android here as well.
Paid the $1.99 and voila!
Still playing around with it. Lotta good stuff but fairly easy to use.
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cloudwraith »

TTTDawg wrote:
Cloudwraith wrote:I use a an app on my phone called CCW. It updates rapidly and stays on top of law changes for all 50 states. Easy to pull up, tap a state and see what's what. Also, you can put in all of your state permits (if you have multiple) and you will get a map of the U.S. showing every state you are legal to carry in. I use android but I'm assuming there is a version for iOS as well.
Tks. Nice app. Android here as well.
Paid the $1.99 and voila!
Still playing around with it. Lotta good stuff but fairly easy to use.
Nice, glad I could help. I like the fact that each state has links to their specific legislation so you can read them for yourself without having to spend a ton of time with Google.
StiltzM109R

Post by StiltzM109R »

The CCW app is great. I have it on my Android. I had to use it last week when I got pulled over in North Carolina for speeding. I had to check for Duty to Inform while pulling over. LOL North Carolina is a Inform state. State Trooper was very cool. I told him I have an Ohio Permit and was armed and he made nothing of it. Said "yeah, ok." Was honest with him that I was speeding and he came back with a written warning said thanks for being honest and let me go.
Grumpyolddog

Post by Grumpyolddog »

I frequently travel to SC and can assure you that Ohio currently has reciprocity with all of the states you mentioned.
ppfd

Post by ppfd »

You are good to go here in WV. No need to unload, no duty to inform, though I would as a courtesy.
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

According to the description; it was last updated on 1/3/17, so the at least the Ohio nPart is out of date..
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...