New Ohio Iaws

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

New Ohio Iaws

Post by charliej47 »

I am a contractor that works at some of the Ohio schools. As I understand it, I can now leave my weapon locked in my car when I go to the schools and park in the school parking lot. Is this correct? :shock:
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: New Ohio Iaws

Post by Javelin Man »

You are correct, it must be inside the vehicle and locked in its own compartment, beit a glove compartment, lockable tool box, special lock box, etc.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Javelin Man wrote:You are correct, it must be inside the vehicle and locked in its own compartment, beit a glove compartment, lockable tool box, special lock box, etc.
The separate locking compartment isn't required for storage in a school parking lot, just lock the car.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

JustaShooter wrote:The separate locking compartment isn't required for storage in a school parking lot, just lock the car.
Except that it may be if one is on the property in an employment capacity.

Simply locking your car is good enough to avoid being charged with possession of a firearm on school grounds. But if you're parking for work-related reasons and wish to keep your job, notwithstanding company/employer/landowner policy, then the procedure is as Javelin Man stated.

There's at least four different procedures concerning securing one's firearm in a private vehicle depending on the type of property and reason for being there. Thanks OGA.
gilly32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gilly32 »

djthomas wrote: at least four different procedures concerning securing one's firearm in a private vehicle depending on the type of property and reason for being there. Thanks OGA.
djthomas-Can you detail those for us that find deciphering the ORC a bit challenging?
"The right to keep and bear arms is rooted in both self-defense and insurance against government’s propensity toward tyranny. The right pre-existed the Constitution. Thus, the Second Amendment is not its source. The right to keep and bear arms is natural and inalienable; the Second Amendment protects it, and Congress has no legitimate power to restrict it." - Senator John Cornyn (R., Tex.), as reported in the National Review on July 4, 2016

Burma Shave
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

gilly32 wrote:Can you detail those for us that find deciphering the ORC a bit challenging?
I posted that a while back, but it probably stands to be refreshed now that 3/21 has come. I'll preface this by saying I'm not a lawyer.

Premises Type
  • The parking garage at the state capitol building or the parking garage at the Riffe center for government and the arts in Columbus - Question A
  • K-12 School - Question B
  • College/University - Question D
  • BCI - Status Unclear
  • Other Property - Question G
Question A: Did you violate division (A), (B), (C), (D), or (E) of 2923.16 or any other provision of the Revised Code (like say, maybe the traffic code) in getting there?
Yes - Sorry, no storage for you.
No - Storage Option 1

Question B: Do you work there?
Yes - Question C
No - Storage Option 2

Question C: Does your employer have a policy prohibiting you from possessing weapons in your vehicle?
Yes - Storage Option 5
No - Storage Option 2

Question D: Do you work there or are you a student?
Yes - Question E
No - Storage Option 3

Question E: Does the college or university have a policy prohibiting you from possessing weapons in your vehicle?
Yes - Question H
No - Question F

Question F: Has the college or university granted you permission to carry a concealed handgun on the premises?
Yes - Storage Option 4
No - Storage Option 3

Question G: If you work there, is there a policy prohibiting you from having weapons in your vehicle?
Yes - Question H
No or Don't Work There- Storage Option 4

Question H: Is your vehicle is in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be?
Yes - Storage Option 5 if it is not a college or university or Storage Option 6 if it is
No - Sorry, no storage for you.

Storage Option 1:
The vehicle must remain locked at all times. No explicit allowance is made for entering/exiting the vehicle but that right is probably inferred.

Storage Option 2:
Keep it in your vehicle. The vehicle may be unlocked while you are in it. If you exit the vehicle you must lock it. Again, no explicit allowance made for reentering but it can probably be inferred.

Storage Option 3:
The vehicle must remain locked at all times. The handgun must remain in your vehicle unless you are in the process of putting it in your vehicle. Again, no explicit allowance made for reentering but it can probably be inferred.

Storage Option 4:
Keep it in your vehicle but otherwise let good judgment be your guide. If it is a college or university that has granted you carry permission then you should also abide by any rules they impose on that authorization.

Storage Option 5:
Keep it in your vehicle. The vehicle may be unlocked while you are in it, otherwise each firearm and all ammunition must be locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container.

Storage Option 6:
The vehicle must remain locked and the firearm must remain in the vehicle. When you are not in the vehicle each firearm and all ammunition must be locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

djthomas wrote:
gilly32 wrote:Can you detail those for us that find deciphering the ORC a bit challenging?
I posted that a while back, but it probably stands to be refreshed now that 3/21 has come. I'll preface this by saying I'm not a lawyer.

Premises Type
  • The parking garage at the state capitol building or the parking garage at the Riffe center for government and the arts in Columbus - Question A
  • BCI - Status Unclear
Question A: Did you violate division (A), (B), (C), (D), or (E) of 2923.16 or any other provision of the Revised Code (like say, maybe the traffic code) in getting there?
No - Storage Option 1

Yes - Question C
No - Storage Option 2

Question C: Does your employer have a policy prohibiting you from possessing weapons in your vehicle?
Yes - Storage Option 5
No - Storage Option 2

Yes - Question E
No - Storage Option 3

Question E: Does the college or university have a policy prohibiting you from possessing weapons in your vehicle?
Yes - Question H
No - Question F

Question F: Has the college or university granted you permission to carry a concealed handgun on the premises?
Yes - Storage Option 4
No - Storage Option 3

Question G: If you work there, is there a policy prohibiting you from having weapons in your vehicle?
Yes - Question H

Question H: Is your vehicle is in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be?
Yes - Storage Option 5 if it is not a college or university or Storage Option 6 if it is

Storage Option 1:
The vehicle must remain locked at all times. No explicit allowance is made for entering/exiting the vehicle but that right is probably inferred.

Storage Option 2:
Keep it in your vehicle. The vehicle may be unlocked while you are in it. If you exit the vehicle you must lock it. Again, no explicit allowance made for reentering but it can probably be inferred.

Storage Option 3:
The vehicle must remain locked at all times. The handgun must remain in your vehicle unless you are in the process of putting it in your vehicle. Again, no explicit allowance made for reentering but it can probably be inferred.

Storage Option 4:
Keep it in your vehicle but otherwise let good judgment be your guide. If it is a college or university that has granted you carry permission then you should also abide by any rules they impose on that authorization.

Storage Option 5:
Keep it in your vehicle. The vehicle may be unlocked while you are in it, otherwise each firearm and all ammunition must be locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container.

Storage Option 6:
The vehicle must remain locked and the firearm must remain in the vehicle. When you are not in the vehicle each firearm and all ammunition must be locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container.
Someone needs to take this to the OGA and see if they can answer these and then ask if that is really what they intended?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

techguy85 wrote:
djthomas wrote:

Premises Type
  • BCI - Status Unclear
No - Storage Option 1

Yes - Question C
No - Storage Option 2

Yes - Storage Option 5
No - Storage Option 2

Yes - Question E
No - Storage Option 3

Yes - Question H
No - Question F

Yes - Storage Option 4
No - Storage Option 3

Yes - Question H

Storage Option 1:

Storage Option 2:

Storage Option 3:

Storage Option 4:

Storage Option 5:

Storage Option 6:
Someone needs to take this to the OGA and see if they can answer these and then ask if that is really what they intended?
Don't go talk to them without a stack of campaign finance cash. Unless you can make them relate personally because their family or political friends could get snared by the wording, I doubt they'd care.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

So basically option 6 is the option that legally covers all potential situations where car storage is legal.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

M-Quigley wrote:So basically option 6 is the option that legally covers all potential situations where car storage is legal.
2004 called. It wants its stupid car carry laws back.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

djthomas wrote:

Premises Type
  • BCI - Status Unclear
No - Storage Option 1

Yes - Question C
No - Storage Option 2

Yes - Storage Option 5
No - Storage Option 2

Yes - Question E
No - Storage Option 3

Yes - Question H
No - Question F

Yes - Storage Option 4
No - Storage Option 3

Yes - Question H

Storage Option 1:

Storage Option 2:

Storage Option 3:

Storage Option 4:

Storage Option 5:

Storage Option 6:

Thank you for figuring this out and writing it up
I will be pointing legislators this way when discussing the fix
You've created a good tool for us to use
Thank you again
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

True enough, Chuck. Here's hoping djthomas's breakdown opens some eyes and minds at the Statehouse.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

The sad thing is I'm not convinced that I'm 100% correct. Equally sad is that even Illinois has adopted a single procedure for storing a firearm in a personal vehicle regardless of the type of premises. It is a bit weird if you want to exit your vehicle to put it in the trunk but at least it is uniform.
Qfac

Post by Qfac »

(A) A business entity, property owner, or public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person who has been issued a valid concealed handgun license from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition when both of the following conditions are met: (1) Each firearm and all of the ammunition remains inside the person's privately owned motor vehicle while the person is physically present inside the motor vehicle, or each firearm and all of the ammunition is locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container within or on the person's privately owned motor vehicle;

Yes - Storage Option 5
No - Storage Option 2

Question 1 - would these not be the same now that an employer can not have a policy, so the answer would always be No (not any more) and the storage option would now always be 5 on any employers property.

Question 2 - Wouldn't the passenger compartment of your vehicle be considered an "other enclosed compartment" once locked and one has exited the vehicle?
NRA Endowment Life Member

"Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Qfac wrote:(A) A business entity, property owner, or public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person who has been issued a valid concealed handgun license from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition when both of the following conditions are met: (1) Each firearm and all of the ammunition remains inside the person's privately owned motor vehicle while the person is physically present inside the motor vehicle, or each firearm and all of the ammunition is locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container within or on the person's privately owned motor vehicle;

Yes - Storage Option 5
No - Storage Option 2

Question 1 - would these not be the same now that an employer can not have a policy, so the answer would always be No (not any more) and the storage option would now always be 5 on any employers property.

Question 2 - Wouldn't the passenger compartment of your vehicle be considered an "other enclosed compartment" once locked and one has exited the vehicle?
1: Since the law also says that the exception only applies to those with a CHL who are properly storing the firearm and ammunition, there can still be a policy that applies to everyone else. Any new policy has to exempt persons with a CHL that store it properly, and whenever the policy is updated it must likewise include such an exemption, and regardless, it cannot be enforced. And the exemption can be as simple as "company xyz prohibits firearms on its property including buildings, parking lots and company vehicles, unless otherwise permitted by state or local law". So, the way I understand it, the answer could still be "Yes".

2: Not the way I understand it. Since the law specifies the locked container must be "within or on" the vehicle, I believe that requires a separate locked container.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!