New Ohio Iaws

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djthomas

Re: New Ohio Iaws

Post by djthomas »

JustaShooter wrote:Since the law specifies the locked container must be "within or on" the vehicle, I believe that requires a separate locked container.
Just to show how little thought goes into these laws... It would be perfectly acceptable to drive onto company property with a pistol rolling around in a clear $5 tackle box with a $1.99 lock in the back of your pickup truck out in the open for anyone to see and take. And yet, it would not be OK to put the gun in that same box (but without the lock) inside your vehicle, buried under a pile of blankets with the vehicle door locked.
Last edited by djthomas on Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

For the record - I tried this law out today! :)

We had a morning meeting at school, and before and after I had errands to run.

Disarmed, locked the firearm away inside the locked car, did our business, reverse the process before leaving for the errands.

Not perfect, but progress. :)
junglebob

Post by junglebob »

djthomas wrote:The sad thing is I'm not convinced that I'm 100% correct. Equally sad is that even Illinois has adopted a single procedure for stora firearm in a personal vehicle regardless of the type of premises. It is a bit weird if you want to exit your vehicle to put it in the trunk but at least it is uniform.
djthomas, Thanks for saying something nice about Illinios. In Illinois with a CCL you can store your loaded handgun in a locked vehicle or in a locked case, console or console, if you don't lock the vehicle. This would apply to Ohio folks with a CCL as well. I think the part about storing your handgun in the trunk only applies to Illinois folks, as they say out of staters can't step out of their vehicle with a loaded handgun. You are allowed to have it anywhere in the vehicle though.
Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason
Dixon

Post by Dixon »

Question about this. If a school campus is posted (sign near entrance of parking lot declaring campus a drug and weapon free zone), does that supersede the new law or no?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Dixon wrote:Question about this. If a school campus is posted (sign near entrance of parking lot declaring campus a drug and weapon free zone), does that supersede the new law or no?
No. Those signs should be discarded in favor of ones that are in compliance with the new law. But like other parts of the ORC dealing with firearms, there are not enforcement "teeth" to go after the schools with.

Just west of Vance's in Columbus, I recall seeing bullet holes in one of those signs a few years ago. Really effective huh?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:
Dixon wrote:Question about this. If a school campus is posted (sign near entrance of parking lot declaring campus a drug and weapon free zone), does that supersede the new law or no?
No. Those signs should be discarded in favor of ones that are in compliance with the new law. But like other parts of the ORC dealing with firearms, there are not enforcement "teeth" to go after the schools with.
How would you change them to be in compliance? Current signage law still requires those signs to be placed where they are, with that wording. Also, all that had changed is you can have the gun locked in your vehicle - which, with more restrictions, was already the case.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

JustaShooter wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
How would you change them to be in compliance? Current signage law still requires those signs to be placed where they are, with that wording. Also, all that had changed is you can have the gun locked in your vehicle - which, with more restrictions, was already the case.
Also one has to remember most of the gun and drug free signs are from Federal law. Remember, GFSZA only has an exception for those with a CHL from the state the school is in. No CHL = sign applies.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.