My 1st and 2nd

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

My 1st and 2nd

Post by Gramps »

Setting at the tracks waiting on a train and get rear ended a little while ago while heading home.

Got out to see what had happened and and older lady said "I am sorry, my foot slipped off the gas" No big deal, no damage to my truck. She ran the ball hitch into her radiator, was stuck and leaking antifreeze some. Later I was able to pull the pin from the receiver and inch forward so the insert would come out of the receiver.

Called the city Police who came pretty quick. Cruiser pulled up, officer walked over and I told him I have an Ohio license to carry a concealed firearm and have a loaded handgun in my truck and handed him my drivers license and CHL.

He asked me to leave the firearm in the truck and walked away to his cruiser.

A few minutes later he came back and said it was County jurisdiction and we would have to wait for a Deputy and handed my my CHl.

Soon a Deputy pulled up and talked to City policeman a few and then came over to where I was standing an at that time I notified him also handing him my CHL. He looked at it and handed it right back and said thank you. (I think he was told by the city LEO)

No tickets, no hassles, just hoping the lady gets her car fixed. Nice lady.

This all comes after working at another Deputy's home this morning. I asked him what he thought about CHL and he quickly replied he thinks they are great and would like to see more. :D
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
A_F

Re: My 1st and 2nd

Post by A_F »

in some states leaving your hitch in when not pulling anything can get you a fine. insurance industry lobbied for that one.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

A_F wrote:in some states leaving your hitch in when not pulling anything can get you a fine. insurance industry lobbied for that one.
Hope Ohio ain't one of em!
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Agree. Mine has been in so long that it is "welded' to the receiver tube. aka rusted. It is in there solid and is NOT coming out.
Gramps wrote:
A_F wrote:in some states leaving your hitch in when not pulling anything can get you a fine. insurance industry lobbied for that one.
Hope Ohio ain't one of em!
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

My brief googling says there is not law in Ohio that requires the ball to be removed when not towing.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Bianchi? wrote:My brief googling says there is not law in Ohio that requires the ball to be removed when not towing.
A drive up and down the streets tells me that, even if there were, no one seems to care.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
502ci
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 502ci »

I used to leave mine in as I tow on the weekends but I walked into it once and when you walk into solid steel that does not move...well you know how bad that hurts. So now I pull it out every time.
I could only imagine if a stranger walks into someone's hitch while they were parked in a lot somewhere, they would damage the person's truck or wait for them to return to it. :shock:
Nothing to see here...move along.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Or they could just show even the slightest bit of common sense and not walk so close to someone else's vehicle. :mrgreen: The mirrors on my truck stick out further than my hitch does but I am not about to start removing those so idiots don't walk into them.

I can certainly sympathize with the pain of walking into a receiver though. Have managed to do it a time or two on my own truck. Never managed to do so on other peoples trucks though. :wink:
502ci wrote:I used to leave mine in as I tow on the weekends but I walked into it once and when you walk into solid steel that does not move...well you know how bad that hurts. So now I pull it out every time.
I could only imagine if a stranger walks into someone's hitch while they were parked in a lot somewhere, they would damage the person's truck or wait for them to return to it. :shock:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

sodbuster95 wrote:
Bianchi? wrote:My brief googling says there is not law in Ohio that requires the ball to be removed when not towing.
A drive up and down the streets tells me that, even if there were, no one seems to care.
Also true for turning on lights when it's raining - law was passed years ago, but probably half the drivers do this, and no one has ever been ticketed that I heard.
sawco

Post by sawco »

Had a discussion with a LEO about that one not long ago. The law states that lights are on when wipers are on, not when it's raining.
If you are required to have a background check to buy a gun, then, for the love of God, you should be required to have one to become President.
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

sawco wrote:Had a discussion with a LEO about that one not long ago. The law states that lights are on when wipers are on, not when it's raining.
I was about to ask if using the windshield washer requires lights. It does not.
4513.03 Time for lighted lights on motor vehicles.

(A) Every vehicle, other than a motorized bicycle, operated upon a street or highway within this state shall display lighted lights and illuminating devices as required by sections 4513.04 to 4513.37 of the Revised Code during all of the following times:

(1) The time from sunset to sunrise;

(2) At any other time when, due to insufficient natural light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons, vehicles, and substantial objects on the highway are not discernible at a distance of one thousand feet ahead;

(3) At any time when the windshield wipers of the vehicle are in use because of precipitation on the windshield.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4513.03" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've had consistently good results with ether.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Bianchi? wrote: ...
(3) At any time when the windshield wipers of the vehicle are in use because of precipitation on the windshield.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4513.03" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hmm.

Since the flashing of headlights and sounding of the horn have been deemed 'free speech', and freedom of speech includes the right to not speak, doesn't that mean that using my wipers in the rain without headlights is Constitutionally protected?

:wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Bianchi? wrote: ...
Hmm.

Since the flashing of headlights and sounding of the horn have been deemed 'free speech', and freedom of speech includes the right to not speak, doesn't that mean that using my wipers in the rain without headlights is Constitutionally protected?

:wink:
Does free speech only extend to daylight hours? What about nighttime? :wink: