Traffic Stop while Carrying Question

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Re: Traffic Stop while Carrying Question

Post by M-Quigley »

junglebob wrote:Anyone else have a LEO take their handgun during an interaction with the LEO?
Not since Ohio enacted licensed carry.
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

junglebob wrote:Anyone else have a LEO take their handgun during an interaction with the LEO?
I've had to inform ~6 times since I've had my, permit, er license, er CHL, er CWP, er OLTCH - you know, that thing that allows me to carry a concealed weapon.

It's always been a non-issue. They just smiled and said "thanks". One said "thanks for following Ohio law". However, I will also point out, I've never had to inform in Lakewood, Cleveland, etc.
Cloudwraith
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cloudwraith »

WayneB wrote:
I've had to inform ~6 times since I've had my, permit, er license, er CHL, er CWP, er OLTCH - you know, that thing that allows me to carry a concealed handgun.

It's always been a non-issue. They just smiled and said "thanks". One said "thanks for following Ohio law". However, I will also point out, I've never had to inform in Lakewood, Cleveland, etc.
Fixed :)
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
RichN

Post by RichN »

junglebob wrote:In my reply to Justashooter about having a loaded handgun in your vehicle when you have an Ohio CPL, I didn't mention that there is no DUTY TO INFORM in Illinois, unless asked. I read some of the "duty to inform horror stories" here. If you want to inform, hand your Ohio CPL license to the LEO with your DL.
That DOES NOT meet Ohio's requirement of informing immediately. I think that may even be how one of our worse failure to inform cases ever came about.

Practice the following phrase. 'Officer, I have a concealed carry license and I am currently armed." Say this at your first opportunity. If the officer tries to say more than two words to you, then cut him or her off if you have to, but make sure that is said as early as possible, and definitely before you answer any other questions. And yes, I know it is a "Concealed Handgun License" in Ohio, but I figure the generic form is clear enough and can be used by both those carrying in Ohio on and out of state license and also by me when I travel to other states.

My personal opinion is that you never want to use the word "gun" when talking to cops. That is an alarm word for cops, and there may be a partner that picks up on that word and assumes it came from his partner as a warning.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Both hubby and I have. Mine was locked in my purse when purses still had to be locked. It was nighttime, no streetlights. The very green officer was shaking so bad that I had a firearm, he almost broke my little key. I unlocked it for him, and he snatched the firearm out of the purse quickly. The worst part was that he ordered me out of the van, and put my purse on a guardrail post. I thought he was going to send my purse to the bottom of the gully. And I was barefoot in the car, so I was standing barefoot in all that gravelly stuff on the side of the road. Hubby called the PD within a day or two of the stop, and talked to the chief, because he believed that it was dangerous to have me outside of the car on a two lane road, and the officer handling an unknown firearm. Chief had already had a conversation with the green officer, and promised hubby that would never happen again.

I was not there for hubby's, but I think he was taken out of the car and patted down. He carries a 1911, and was worried the officer would be unsafe, but that officer seemed to know that platform. I think Ted was worried the officer would think the safety is a decocker.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I did. Afterwards the officer handed it back with the magazine detatched and one loose round he had cleared from the barrel. He said they'd prefer I didn't reload the weapon until they or I had parted ways.

Guess what I immediately did 8)
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
ApexShootingTactics

Post by ApexShootingTactics »

I have been a full time LEO for 15 years, I was already on the job when Ohio started the CHL law. Prior to that I was stationed in Virginia for 2 years while in the Marine Corps and had my CHL there. So I have some experience.

As a LEO here in Ohio I have had thousands (guessing but I know it is a lot) of interactions with CHL holders, the vast majority were very simple interactions during crash investigations, traffic stops and as witnesses/complainants/victims/suspects in a criminal investigation. I count on one hand how many times I have taken a CHL weapon from them and all of those people were obvious criminal suspects and all of them ended up arrested. My point being, those firearms I took were from a very small percentage.

Outside of my experience all of the other LEOs I have spoken with over the years, none of them talk about taking the CHL firearms during those simple interactions. I am not saying it doesn't happen but it is a rarity. Most LEOs share a similar mindset as me, CHL holders are vetted and unless they are acting outside of the norm than why is it needed? Lastly, the more we handle an unfamiliar firearm the greater the likelihood of a negligent discharge.
-Andrew

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. -Benjamin Franklin
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

ApexShootingTactics wrote:I have been a full time LEO for 15 years, I was already on the job when Ohio started the CHL law. Prior to that I was stationed in Virginia for 2 years while in the Marine Corps and had my CHL there. So I have some experience.

As a LEO here in Ohio I have had thousands (guessing but I know it is a lot) of interactions with CHL holders, the vast majority were very simple interactions during crash investigations, traffic stops and as witnesses/complainants/victims/suspects in a criminal investigation. I count on one hand how many times I have taken a CHL weapon from them and all of those people were obvious criminal suspects and all of them ended up arrested. My point being, those firearms I took were from a very small percentage.

Outside of my experience all of the other LEOs I have spoken with over the years, none of them talk about taking the CHL firearms during those simple interactions. I am not saying it doesn't happen but it is a rarity. Most LEOs share a similar mindset as me, CHL holders are vetted and unless they are acting outside of the norm than why is it needed? Lastly, the more we handle an unfamiliar firearm the greater the likelihood of a negligent discharge.
A valuable source of input on this subject. Thank you for that.
Notasmiff

Post by Notasmiff »

I won't say what city, but my wife [18yrs and not married] has not gotten her CHL yet and was driving our veh. registered in my name.
Was pulled over and the LEO actually told her he stops vehicle registered to a CHL holder when they are not driving just to see if I may have left my gun in the car or something :twisted: :twisted: Nothing happened, but I was steamed and had her check with the dept. the next day.
They claimed to have no record of the stop !!!! YEAH RIGHT !!