SB 199 and active duty military age 20

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

searay268

SB 199 and active duty military age 20

Post by searay268 »

My son attends the United States Naval Academy. All midshipmen are active duty military. He noticed an NRA notice about SB 199 going into effect and was wondering if he can carry. I think the age minimum of 21 still applies so the answer would be no, but I thought I'd ask you kind folks.

Thanks
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: SB 199 and active duty military age 20

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

The NRA's summary leaves out an important qualification. Here's what the law actually says:
Divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section do not apply to the sale or furnishing of a handgun
to an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States who has received firearms
training that meets or exceeds the training requirements described in division (G)(1) of section
2923.125 of the Revised Code
Emphasis mine.

Has your son received handgun training? Does he have a certificate documenting it?
searay268

Post by searay268 »

He has qualified on both rifle and handgun but I don't know about documentation.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Several parts of the new law have devils in the details.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

As an active duty member of the military, he can both carry and purchase handguns (from private individuals, not FFLs) in Ohio *if* he meets the training requirement, even though he is not yet 21.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
searay268

Post by searay268 »

Thank you all for the information.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:The NRA's summary leaves out an important qualification...
Has your son received handgun training? Does he have a certificate documenting it?
Taking it a step further, does the military training provide "... to each person who takes the course, class, or program the web site address at which the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters may be found." ? Because that's the first part of division (G)(1) of section 2923.125.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

djthomas wrote:
Taking it a step further, does the military training provide "... to each person who takes the course, class, or program the web site address at which the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters may be found." ? Because that's the first part of division (G)(1) of section 2923.125.
I was going to mention that but after re-reading decided it doesn't apply. It says the active duty member must have received training that meets or exceeds the training requirements in 2923.125(G)(1). So it's specifically calling out the parts of (G)(1) that are training requirements, which states "... Each such course, class, or program described in one of those divisions shall include at least eight hours of training in the safe handling and use of a firearm that shall include training, provided as described in division (G)(3) of this section, on all of the following:" .

Since 2923.125(G)(1) specifically calls out the training requirements ( sub-parts (a)-(e) ) I think it's fairly clear that's what's being referred to. It might need to include the mandatory 8 hrs, but that could go either way and is unlikely to matter. Not all the training requirements specifically mention handgun training ( (G)(1)(d) specifically says "gun handling training" not "handgun handling training") so anyone who's completed basic will meet the time requirement.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
djthomas wrote:
I was going to mention that but after re-reading decided it doesn't apply. It says the active duty member must have received training that meets or exceeds the training requirements in 2923.125(G)(1). So it's specifically calling out the parts of (G)(1) that are training requirements, which states "... Each such course, class, or program described in one of those divisions shall include at least eight hours of training in the safe handling and use of a firearm that shall include training, provided as described in division (G)(3) of this section, on all of the following:" .

Since 2923.125(G)(1) specifically calls out the training requirements ( sub-parts (a)-(e) ) I think it's fairly clear that's what's being referred to. It might need to include the mandatory 8 hrs, but that could go either way and is unlikely to matter. Not all the training requirements specifically mention handgun training ( (G)(1)(d) specifically says "gun handling training" not "handgun handling training") so anyone who's completed basic will meet the time requirement.
I agree - and was getting ready to post much the same thing. Doesn't change the issue with documentation, and as I have recently found out, even the ID requirement is problematic since as I have been told you can no longer tell from the ID if the person carrying it is active duty or not...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!