SB 199 issue at work

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: SB 199 issue at work

Post by qmti »

Seems to me General Mills wants to compile a list of employees that do not agree with their policies for future retaliation. I would call this a form of discrimination. I don't see how they can specify that the gun needs to be unloaded (big safety issue) and have a secondary lock-up within the vehicle that is locked up.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Maybe someone should contact Derek Debrosse at....

http://ohiogunlawyer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

qmti wrote:Seems to me General Mills wants to compile a list of employees that do not agree with their policies for future retaliation. I would call this a form of discrimination. I don't see how they can specify that the gun needs to be unloaded (big safety issue)
I agree it is a safety issue, but nothing in the new law prevents employers from enacting and enforcing rules like this.
qmti wrote:and have a secondary lock-up within the vehicle that is locked up.
That is actually required by the new law:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.1210v1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(A) A business entity, property owner, or public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person who has been issued a valid concealed handgun license from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition when both of the following conditions are met:

(1) Each firearm and all of the ammunition remains inside the person's privately owned motor vehicle while the person is physically present inside the motor vehicle, or each firearm and all of the ammunition is locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container within or on the person's privately owned motor vehicle;

(2) The vehicle is in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be.
(Emphasis mine)

So to be protected under the law, the firearm and ammunition can be locked in the trunk, or locked in a glove box or locked in another enclosed compartment or locked in a container within (or on) the vehicle.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
gilly32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gilly32 »

So to be protected under the law, the firearm and ammunition can be locked in the trunk, or locked in a glove box or locked in another enclosed compartment or locked in a container within (or on) the vehicle.

Just to verify, it is not a requirement under the law for the firearm to be unloaded? That is just what is being stipulated by General Mills?
"The right to keep and bear arms is rooted in both self-defense and insurance against government’s propensity toward tyranny. The right pre-existed the Constitution. Thus, the Second Amendment is not its source. The right to keep and bear arms is natural and inalienable; the Second Amendment protects it, and Congress has no legitimate power to restrict it." - Senator John Cornyn (R., Tex.), as reported in the National Review on July 4, 2016

Burma Shave
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I'll go ahead and say it, GENERAL MILLS GETS NO MORE OF MY BUSINESS until they stop meddling in their indentured servan... er excuse me, employee's business.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go to GMs website now and look at a complete list of their products, and formulate a letter to their misguided HR dep't. Something along the lines of, if due to their policy they desire to know about employees CHL to manufacture company products, does GM in their heart also want the customer to disclose same in order to purchase said products (hence the letter), nexus, etc.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Good luck.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

gilly32 wrote:

Just to verify, it is not a requirement under the law for the firearm to be unloaded? That is just what is being stipulated by General Mills?
That is correct, it is their own requirement. And, since it does not "prohibit or have the effect of prohibiting a person who has been issued a valid concealed handgun license from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition", I think it is permissible under the new law.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

pirateguy191 wrote:Maybe someone should contact Derek Debrosse at....

http://ohiogunlawyer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I did that yesterday, in general reference to SB 199, describing problems people here and BFA forums have reported. Told him one of his videos might be in order.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

WhyNot wrote:I'll go ahead and say it, GENERAL MILLS GETS NO MORE OF MY BUSINESS until they stop meddling in their indentured servan... er excuse me, employee's business.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go to GMs website now and look at a complete list of their products, and formulate a letter to their misguided HR dep't. Something along the lines of, if due to their policy they desire to know about employees CHL to manufacture company products, does GM in their heart also want the customer to disclose same in order to purchase said products (hence the letter), nexus, etc.
I know it feels good but if everyone took this attitude there would soon be a whole lot of unemployed former GM employees. Unintended consequences. Just sayin'.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

JustaShooter wrote:
qmti wrote:Seems to me General Mills wants to compile a list of employees that do not agree with their policies for future retaliation. I would call this a form of discrimination. I don't see how they can specify that the gun needs to be unloaded (big safety issue)
I agree it is a safety issue, but nothing in the new law prevents employers from enacting and enforcing rules like this.
qmti wrote:and have a secondary lock-up within the vehicle that is locked up.
That is actually required by the new law:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.1210v1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(A) A business entity, property owner, or public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person who has been issued a valid concealed handgun license from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition when both of the following conditions are met:

(1) Each firearm and all of the ammunition remains inside the person's privately owned motor vehicle while the person is physically present inside the motor vehicle, or each firearm and all of the ammunition is locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container within or on the person's privately owned motor vehicle;

(2) The vehicle is in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be.
(Emphasis mine)

Thanks for the clarification about the secondary lock-up. Since unloading is a requirement by GM would a revolver be safer to unload then working a slide on a pistol?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

qmti wrote:
Thanks for the clarification about the secondary lock-up. Since unloading is a requirement by GM would a revolver be safer to unload then working a slide on a pistol?
Yes, in one aspect for sure: Re-chambering the same round several times in an auto loader shortens it and raises its pressure. But with either type of handgun just follow all standard handling precautions and it shouldn't matter.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

I would not play this game with these people or any company. Don't ask don't tell, don't sign forms, store firearm in locked car. :wink:
Black Rifles Matter
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

WestonDon wrote:
WhyNot wrote:I'll go ahead and say it, GENERAL MILLS GETS NO MORE OF MY BUSINESS until they stop meddling in their indentured servan... er excuse me, employee's business.

I know it feels good but if everyone took this attitude there would soon be a whole lot of unemployed former GM employees. Unintended consequences. Just sayin'.
Collateral damage.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants". -- Thomas Jefferson
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

steves 50de wrote:I would not play this game with these people or any company. Don't ask don't tell, don't sign forms, store firearm in locked car. :wink:
Do these employees even have a choice to sign or not? Well, I guess they do since they have a union, but at the last job I worked at (non union) you didn't have a choice about paperwork given to all employees at HR, signing was a condition of employment. If a new employee manual came out and you didn't like what was in it, and didn't sign it, the company terminated you for that. (I'm talking about all non contract employees)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote:
steves 50de wrote:I would not play this game with these people or any company. Don't ask don't tell, don't sign forms, store firearm in locked car. :wink:
Do these employees even have a choice to sign or not? Well, I guess they do since they have a union, but at the last job I worked at (non union) you didn't have a choice about paperwork given to all employees at HR, signing was a condition of employment. If a new employee manual came out and you didn't like what was in it, and didn't sign it, the company terminated you for that. (I'm talking about all non contract employees)
Along the same lines, if you don't sign and are found to have a gun in your vehicle, they can fire you for violating company policy.
NRA Life Member