SB 199 issue at work

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

38smith

SB 199 issue at work

Post by 38smith »

We received a letter we must sign if we want to bring a firearm to work and they also want us CHL holders to show HR our CHL every 30 days and in the papers they state "unloaded" firearm. This doesn't seem like a lawful practice. Is this company in the right?
curmudgeon3

Re: SB 199 issue at work

Post by curmudgeon3 »

What "company" is that ?
38smith

Post by 38smith »

General Mills in wellston ohio
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

If the company is concerned about safety, and is trying to require employees to unload the handgun in the car, then reload it when the employee leaves, that might potentially be more dangerous, more chance of leading to an unintended discharge for some people.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

38smith wrote:General Mills in wellston ohio
A large world-wide org.; tough nut to crack. But keep in mind you have rights as well. To the best of my knowledge you are not required to inform the co. that you have a firearm locked-up in your car, or that you have a CHL. Someone with a more thorough knowledge of the law will be along shortly to chime in. Good luck.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

curmudgeon3 wrote:
38smith wrote:General Mills in wellston ohio
A large world-wide org.; tough nut to crack. But keep in mind you have rights as well. To the best of my knowledge you are not required to inform the co. that you have a firearm locked-up in your car, or that you have a CHL. Someone with a more thorough knowledge of the law will be along shortly to chime in. Good luck.
Again, we have a law that was not thought fully through. What the company is asking in my opinion is all legal. Here is the change...

Sec. 2923.1210. (A) A business entity, property owner, or public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person who has been issued a valid concealed handgun license from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition when both of the following conditions are met:
(1) Each firearm and all of the ammunition remains inside the person's privately owned motor vehicle while the person is physically present inside the motor vehicle, or each firearm and all of the ammunition is locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container within or on the person's privately owned motor vehicle;
(2) The vehicle is in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be.

So it applies ONLY to concealed handgun licensees. Therefore termination can still occur for non CHLs. The law doesn't specify how the firearm can or cannot be transported, therefore if the company says unloaded, I don't see how that is prohibiting a person from transporting or storing.

This is what happens when people get excited for laws, push their legislators to pass them, and don't really read what the law says and think how a business or law enforcement will handle the new law.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I got to go with what Jedi is saying, this new law isn't worth a bucket of cold..spittle..as currently written. I suppose an employee could write "N/A" on any such form, keep their tap shut about owning guns, and roll on. Most employers think N/A means 'not applicable' but in my world it stands for 'not answering'.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

Somebody is making money off of this though. HR had me order $1200 worth of new door signs because the HR lawyer said the old signs did not comply with the new law. Old door signs said "No weapons on these premises". New signs say "No weapons in this building". Guess that is why lawyers get paid so much. I didn't think the difference was enough to spend the money and tie up maintenance installing them.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

We received a letter we must sign if we want to bring a firearm to work
If the implication is that if you don't sign the form you cannot bring a firearm to work, that may be a violation of the law, and a law firm that floated this idea a few months ago admitted as much. The rule has the effect of prohibiting a licensee from having their gun in their car, then makes exceptions only for those who provide the requested notification.

We'll probably never know for sure because any company that has gone to that level of effort to "bypass" the law isn't going to fire you for not following the process and risk it in court. They'll find another reason to fire you instead.

If it were me, I wouldn't sign the policy and wouldn't admit to having a firearm. By signing the policy you become a target. You've let who-knows-how-many people know you have a gun, and that it's probably unattended in your vehicle during the day (seriously - do you have any idea who would have access to that information?).
38smith

Post by 38smith »

The parking lot is hated and we must use a key fob to get in. There are a lot of CHL people working there and are upset and trying to get the union to do something. It's known throughout the whole plant that we are having an issue with this new policy. HR is only there Monday thru Thursday so if we have to show our CHL to them every 30 days what if the 30 days is on a weekend? I'm hoping we can get it changed.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

38smith wrote:The parking lot is hated and we must use a key fob to get in. There are a lot of CHL people working there and are upset and trying to get the union to do something. It's known throughout the whole plant that we are having an issue with this new policy. HR is only there Monday thru Thursday so if we have to show our CHL to them every 30 days what if the 30 days is on a weekend? I'm hoping we can get it changed.
I think that your union, and its lawyer, need to closely look at DontTreadOnMe's post, directly before your most recent post.

Properly communicated by the right party, I think it would be your salvation.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Here's a new thread I started in the Politics section, because clearly a) this is getting to be a more widespread issue, and b) there needs to be a legislative fix: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
38smith

Post by 38smith »

Image. Image Image
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sorry, can't help myself: Sounds like General Mills wants to figure out if they have any cereal killers working there. :lol:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.