SB 199 issue at work

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: SB 199 issue at work

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

M-Quigley wrote:
steves 50de wrote:I would not play this game with these people or any company. Don't ask don't tell, don't sign forms, store firearm in locked car. :wink:
Do these employees even have a choice to sign or not?
The choice is to get company permission to do so. If they don't want company permission, there's no need to complete the form.
JustaShooter wrote:Along the same lines, if you don't sign and are found to have a gun in your vehicle, they can fire you for violating company policy.
True, but there's only 2 ways I can think that would happen: (a) You needed to use your gun to defend your life. Getting fired after that would suck, but it beats being dead; (b) They searched your car and found your gun -- if they're going to do that, they'd find some other way to fire you. Oh there's a third way: You ran your mouth about it. Don't do that.
38smith

Post by 38smith »

Do these employees even have a choice to sign or not? Yes we have a choice. Sign and comply to their wants or don't sign and continue being a sheep. I love how on their Facebook page they talk about being proud of hiring veterans but yet are so anti gun. The veterans didn't defend this country using totino pizzas and yoplait yogurt.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Or just sign and ignore. Keep it concealed and keep the mouth shut.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Has the company stated their reason for issuing the "forms" ?
It's possible that they're thinking if its against the law to prohibit their employees from storing defensive firearms in vehicles, then they want to assure them selves that its being done only by people who have passed the stringent background check and not by those who might be under disability.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Two words:

Tweed's Rules
MyWifeSaidYes
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

I'm not connecting, can you give me a clue?
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

curmudgeon3 wrote:I'm not connecting, can you give me a clue?
Another two words: Shut Up.

Don't discuss guns at work
You don't own guns
Guns are of no interest to you.

Tweed's Rules say it better but that's it in a nutshell. If you follow those rules, HR should have no reason to suspect you of having weapons in your vehicle or on you.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Okay, got it. I guess that's why they call the license 'concealed' carry. Makes perfect sense when ya' think about it.lol
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

curmudgeon3 wrote:Has the company stated their reason for issuing the "forms" ?
It's possible that they're thinking if its against the law to prohibit their employees from storing defensive firearms in vehicles, then they want to assure them selves that its being done only by people who have passed the stringent background check and not by those who might be under disability.
I'm no lawyer but it seems to me that doing this increases their liability, not reduces it. The employer is under no obligation to ascertain that information, but by doing so they are trying to actively manage who stores guns and who doesn't. That's all well and good until there is an incident involving a non-licensee who ignores the rules. Sometimes it's better to have a general rule that is not actively enforced (i.e. only on complaint) than have one that is actively, but only partially enforced.

FWIW my large multi-national company quietly changed the weapons prohibition rule to state that weapons are prohibited on all company owned or leased vehicles and premises. For the purposes of this rule, "premises" includes all facilities and surrounding land and parking lots under the company's control. Where state law regulates the storage of weapons in personally owned vehicles, state law shall control.

Curiously, they also deleted the old language making it also against policy to carry while on company business. Now the only issue prohibition is having a weapon on company property.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

In any event, it appears the company has no liability for any misuse of guns in their parking lot but would want it to be safe for their employees.
1911's 4 life

Post by 1911's 4 life »

I work at a prison. The State sent out an email stating as long as we follow the law its all good. I've been carrying since Tuesday. And it feels good to carry everyday instead of just my days off.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

DontTreadOnMe wrote: True, but there's only 2 ways I can think that would happen: (a) You needed to use your gun to defend your life. Getting fired after that would suck, but it beats being dead; (b) They searched your car and found your gun -- if they're going to do that, they'd find some other way to fire you. Oh there's a third way: You ran your mouth about it. Don't do that.
I wonder about a fourth way (d) if your car was burglarized and you lost a stowed handgun in the theft. You obviously are required by law to report this... is it then public record, or is it private and between only you & LE? (and, well, the jackhole that broke in to your car...)
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Sevens wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote: True, but there's only 2 ways I can think that would happen: (a) You needed to use your gun to defend your life. Getting fired after that would suck, but it beats being dead; (b) They searched your car and found your gun -- if they're going to do that, they'd find some other way to fire you. Oh there's a third way: You ran your mouth about it. Don't do that.
I wonder about a fourth way (d) if your car was burglarized and you lost a stowed handgun in the theft. You obviously are required by law to report this... is it then public record, or is it private and between only you & LE? (and, well, the jackhole that broke in to your car...)
Well, the biggest rule we have in law enforcement in regards to public records is....if you don't want it public, don't tell the police.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

1911's 4 life wrote:I work at a prison. The State sent out an email stating as long as we follow the law its all good. I've been carrying since Tuesday. And it feels good to carry everyday instead of just my days off.
I'm not sure how you can carry at all. 2921.36 Illegal conveyance of weapons, drugs or other prohibited items onto grounds of detention facility or institution. still comes into play which pretty much takes all jails and prisons off limits, including your vehicle.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
1911's 4 life wrote:I work at a prison. The State sent out an email stating as long as we follow the law its all good. I've been carrying since Tuesday. And it feels good to carry everyday instead of just my days off.
I'm not sure how you can carry at all. 2921.36 Illegal conveyance of weapons, drugs or other prohibited items onto grounds of detention facility or institution. still comes into play which pretty much takes all jails and prisons off limits, including your vehicle.
But, the new law appears pretty clear in that it applies to any "public or private employer". So, when such apparent conflicts exist in the law, how does one decide which has precedence? In this case, the state has said the new law applies, and I suspect they've had their lawyers look things over. But I'm still curious, it seems there must be a mechanism to use to determine which applies.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!