Car carry after a beer.

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Car carry after a beer.

Post by WY_Not »

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
- Robert A. Heinlein

While it might be a law, that does not mean it is legitimate. Show me who I HAVE harmed by my actions not who I MIGHT harm.
carmen fovozzo wrote:AGainst the law is against the law...

ONe beer one joint, both against the law while carrying.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

Not to mention states like PA, where I can visit Quaker Steak & Lube with the family, have a Guinness with my wings & fries, and not disarm.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Where is one beer against the law while carrying? I must have missed that part of the law.

In a Class D yes. At home no. Nowhere does it say it's against the law to drink and drive. If you can find that section, please post it for me.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

JonasM wrote:Not to mention states like PA, where I can visit Quaker Steak & Lube with the family, have a Guinness with my wings & fries, and not disarm.
Heck, many police departments back in the day use to allow officers to drink on duty in full uniform. It was a one beer limit with a meal, but it was allowed.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I presume that the " Don't drink and drive " signs are just hog wash...

NOt to Mention that beer Made today can have a alcohol content over 9%. SO one beer might just put you over the legal limit.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I presume that the " Don't drink and drive " signs are just hog wash...

NOt to Mention that beer Made today can have a alcohol content over 9%. SO one beer might just put you over the legal limit.
True that, one Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale at 9.2% will knock me on my butt, one Blatz will make me want to wash my mouth out.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

pirateguy191 wrote:

Come on over for some good bourbon Friday evening Carmen.
Dude, Bedford is a tuff town..I would have to disarm....ain't going to happen....but thanks for the invite..
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Javelin Man wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:I presume that the " Don't drink and drive " signs are just hog wash...

True that, one Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale at 9.2% will knock me on my butt, one Blatz will make me want to wash my mouth out.
Poor mans beer..
They still make Blatz ?
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:

Come on over for some good bourbon Friday evening Carmen.
Dude, Bedford is a tuff town..I would have to disarm....ain't going to happen....but thanks for the invite..
I'll be armed, I gotchu.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I've seen you shoot when you're sober, no thanks. :wink:
Thanlon23

Post by Thanlon23 »

I'm pretty sure the ORC says one drink while carrying is against the law. I am going to assume that means if you've consumed any alcohol, don't go back to the car and strap up for the drive home.

If you happen to have the gun in the car, unload it. I would even go as far as unloading the magazine(s). Lock the gun and unloaded mags in the safe in the trunk or back of the SUV (so you'd have to stop the vehicle and get out to get the gun). Bullets wherever you decide to put them.

Probably best to resist having that beer, but at least with the gun put away at that way, you couldn't just insert the magazine and fire - you'd have to put at least one round in the magazine.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Thanlon23 wrote:I'm pretty sure the ORC says one drink while carrying is against the law.

No.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I'd love to have one drink before dinner when I'm out....gun in the back with mag out....or what ever....

But I weigh the protection of my family and my self much more important then the one Bloody Mary , wine or a beer....I want my protection on my hip, not in the back seat...

To each his own..
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Thanlon23 wrote:I'm pretty sure the ORC says one drink while carrying is against the law.
You're mostly wrong, but I'll start with how you're right.

2923.121 Possession of firearm in beer liquor permit premises - prohibition, exceptions - says that no one can have a gun in a place that sells alcohol for onsite consumption. It makes some exceptions including CHL holders "as long as the person is not consuming beer or intoxicating liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse." So if you're in a bar or restaurant, you can have your gun if you've got a CHL but cannot have even a single drink.

Other than that, the prohibition against guns & alcohol comes from 2923.15 Using weapons while intoxicated
No person, while under the influence of alcohol or any drug of abuse, shall carry or use any firearm or dangerous ordnance.
Note the phrase "under the influence". That's the same language as in ORC 4511.19 Operating vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs - OVI. Meaning: If you're too under the influence to have a gun then you're too under the influence to drive.
Thanlon23 wrote:I am going to assume that means if you've consumed any alcohol, don't go back to the car and strap up for the drive home.
That's a reasonable way to behave. It's not legally required, but it's not a bad idea.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
You're mostly wrong, but I'll start with how you're right.

2923.121 Possession of firearm in beer liquor permit premises - prohibition, exceptions - says that no one can have a gun in a place that sells alcohol for onsite consumption. It makes some exceptions including CHL holders "as long as the person is not consuming beer or intoxicating liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse." So if you're in a bar or restaurant, you can have your gun if you've got a CHL but cannot have even a single drink.

Other than that, the prohibition against guns & alcohol comes from 2923.15 Using weapons while intoxicated
No person, while under the influence of alcohol or any drug of abuse, shall carry or use any firearm or dangerous ordnance.
Note the phrase "under the influence". That's the same language as in ORC 4511.19 Operating vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs - OVI. Meaning: If you're too under the influence to have a gun then you're too under the influence to drive.
Thanlon23 wrote:I am going to assume that means if you've consumed any alcohol, don't go back to the car and strap up for the drive home.
That's a reasonable way to behave. It's not legally required, but it's not a bad idea.
I like my answer better. :wink: