A pickle of a situation

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Buckeyedoc

A pickle of a situation

Post by Buckeyedoc »

So, the wife and I take the kids to a local pizza place for our youngest son's birthday. There's a group of about 8 guys that come in, all middle-aged. They have several pitchers of beer at the table and all are being loud and obnoxious. Anyway, one of the guys has a holstered sidearm. He walks up behind me to pick up the pizza at the counter when I politely say, "You know it's illegal to carry and drink," or something along those lines. He gets {inappropriate language} that I saw something to him and we exchange some 4-letter pleasantries. He then pulls out his badge and tells me what a wonderful person I am for reminding him. Ok, that's a lie. He became a Grade A {inappropriate language}. Just so he doesn't call his buddies to hamstring me, I notify that I am legally carrying and offer him my ID. He declines and proceeds his tirade. So, I get a great look at his badge and ID and I call his chief the next day to make an appointment with him. Anyway, I meet with the chief, who is beyond peeved at the officer. He says he will look into the matter and give me a call next week sometime. Now, there are a few schools of thought on this, and I've the scenarios through my mind a bit. 1. Keep my pizza pie hole shut and let sleeping does lie. 2. Remind him that he can't drink and carry and ask him to secure it and to have a good time. 3. Do exactly what I did. 4. Call the local PD (not his jurisdiction) and let the chips fall where they may. They may have given him some "professional courtesy" or may have lowered the boom. Either way, it would be out of my hands. What's everyone's thoughts on this? BTW, I won't release the officer's name or department unless there is a negative outcome from the chief. If he handles it appropriately, I'll be satisfied. If not, then I'll sing like a canary........and I have a lovely voice. :)
ArmedAviator

Re: A pickle of a situation

Post by ArmedAviator »

IIRC, off duty LEOs are still permitted to carry and drink. Drinking to excess is probably frowned upon, but not sure what the laws say about it, specifically.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

You're a nicer guy than me. I would have 1. Done nothing at all (or) 2. If I got involved in any way, I'd have called the cops and let them know a drunkard was carrying openly.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Buckeyedoc

Post by Buckeyedoc »

ArmedAviator wrote:IIRC, off duty LEOs are still permitted to carry and drink. Drinking to excess is probably frowned upon, but not sure what the laws say about it, specifically.
I actually texted a deputy friend of mine and asked. He said they aren't suppose to drink and carry.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

ArmedAviator wrote:IIRC, off duty LEOs are still permitted to carry and drink. Drinking to excess is probably frowned upon, but not sure what the laws say about it, specifically.
I think your recollection is off. (then I cited the wrong statute -- whoops)

2923.121 (Possession of firearm in beer liquor permit premises) exempts officers "acting within the scope of the officer's, agent's, or employee's duties" which doesn't apply here. The remaining exemptions include the qualifier "as long as (the person) is not consuming beer or intoxicating liquor".
Last edited by DontTreadOnMe on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Buckeyedoc

Post by Buckeyedoc »

There's also this idiot who thought it would be a good idea to "act as an officer in an official duty," while drunk.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/cr ... /99213252/
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

glocksmith wrote:You're a nicer guy than me. I would have 1. Done nothing at all (or) 2. If I got involved in any way, I'd have called the cops and let them know a drunkard was carrying openly.
Me too. I'm not paid to deal with somebody who's drinking and armed. It's not illegal everywhere, but it's illegal most everywhere (in public) so a LAC should know it. Which means somebody who's armed while drinking probably knows they're breaking the law.

As long as they don't appear aggressive, I'd put the place in my rearview and that'd be it. If their level of rowdy appeared to be escalating to any level of aggression, that's when I'd also be calling 911. While driving away.
Last edited by DontTreadOnMe on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
glocksmith wrote:You're a nicer guy than me. I would have 1. Done nothing at all (or) 2. If I got involved in any way, I'd have called the cops and let them know a drunkard was carrying openly.
Me too. I'm not paid to deal with somebody who's drinking and armed. It's not illegal everywhere, but it's illegal most everywhere so a LAC should know it. Which means somebody who's armed while drinking probably knows they're breaking the law.

As long as they don't appear aggressive, I'd put the place in my rearview and that'd be it. If their level of rowdy appeared to be escalating to any level of aggression, that's when I'd also be calling 911. While driving away.
Yeah. But it would be fun to go to a pay phone and anonymously report the guy...then wait for the 5-0 to show up. Provide some additional entertainment for yourself and the others at Chuck e Cheese's. :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Pay phone? I remember those but rarely see any now.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I don't know what I would have done, but I'm dying to know what happens next :)
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I would have remained silent as long as his gun remained holstered. Not my problem if he gets busted. Besides, confronting a drunk, however politely, can get real unpolite real quick. Never mind how I know. And I darn sure wouldn't have told him I was armed. Now I agree carrying and drinking is a real bad idea and I do not indulge. That said, I don't want the government telling me when, where and under what circumstances I may bear arms. So I don't think I would call the cops to complain about someone disobeying a law I do not agree with.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Ed_S

Post by Ed_S »

If they were just being loud drunks having a good time, I probably wouldn't have done anything. Loud drunks are annoying to be around, but are all wrapped up in their little world. If they'd have been acting aggressive I'd have probably called the local PD to report an armed, aggressive drunk. The last thing I'd have done is confront the drunk and start jawing back and forth. In my mind, that's escalating the situation.
Ed_S from Youngstown Ohio

It's not WHAT you carry - it's THAT you carry!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Agree with the post that I wouldn't have said a word to them given the situation as described.

Don't agree with giving them a pass as a few have suggested though. Call 911 and follow up with their department the next day. Let them enjoy being on the receiving end of the "pleasant" response for a change.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
westsidebestside

Post by westsidebestside »

In order for me would be 4, 1, 3, 2.
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

I would mind my own business!!!
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.