A pickle of a situation

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: A pickle of a situation

Post by gaptrick »

I think the OP was initially giving the guy a heads up he's been made and he should stow or go. It was the cop who swelled his chest.

Although I don't drink, if I did, and was made in a bar, there wouldn't have been a word said and I'd have gone to the car to unload and break it down...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

I'd report it.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I wonder if said cop was going to drive his car home...aka DUI? No worries if he gets pulled over - just flash badge and get a free pass - most of the time unless you get a real by the book cop. I know this from having seen it first hand, plus I know a few cops and they've told me what the deal is. Many do it...and it is a case of you cut me a break and you'll get a break when it happens to you.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I would of drew down on and told him to get on the ground. Then I would of told his buddy's to give me all their beer..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Buckeyedoc

Post by Buckeyedoc »

No word from the chief yet. It is Friday after all. I didn't expect to hear anything this week. I'll update as soon as I hear something.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

If I saw someone drunk get into a car, I certainly would call LE...
If I saw someone with a gun drinking, I certainly would call LE...
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I would of drew down on and told him to get on the ground. Then I would of told his buddy's to give me all their beer..
:lol:

Seriously though, if it had been me in that exact same situation, I definitely would NOT have done #2 or 3.
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

I think I would have asked to talk to the manager and let him deal with it or not! Then again I'm not sure I just may have done exactly what you did, anyway good for you for speaking up! People breaking carry laws affect all of us and make us look bad! He was breaking the law LEO or not! :evil:
God made man, Colt made them equal
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

WestonDon wrote:I would have remained silent as long as his gun remained holstered. Not my problem if he gets busted. Besides, confronting a drunk, however politely, can get real unpolite real quick. Never mind how I know. And I darn sure wouldn't have told him I was armed. Now I agree carrying and drinking is a real bad idea and I do not indulge. That said, I don't want the government telling me when, where and under what circumstances I may bear arms. So I don't think I would call the cops to complain about someone disobeying a law I do not agree with.
I've given this thread a lot of thought and basically keep coming to the same conclusion you did. Given the circumstances stated by the OP, I could easily imagine that the loud group had more police in it than just the one that was spoken to. The others would almost doubtless back any actions taken by their friend. And if it then got ugly enough for the local PD to show up, guess which side THEY'D lean towards favoring?

My reaction would be a little different if I happened to know anybody in the group. Maybe.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

So Brian, you believe they are above the law ?
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

carmen fovozzo wrote:So Brian, you believe they are above the law ?
How did you come to that conclusion?

My understanding of his post and WestonDon's was that they would pick their battles carefully. That seems reasonable to me, too.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

No, he appears to be saying that the deck is stacked in favor of police when they misbehave, and that one has to take that into account.

That's why recording such things is a valuable tool, especially if you can stream it somewhere else.

When such things hit the media, the higher ups have to decide whether they're going to fall on somebody else's sword.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

"No good deed shall go unpunished."
Anon.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Others have replied in my stead and I thank them for it. Carmen, you must know me better than that by now. Many years ago I started the ball rolling to get a VERY bad Cincinnati police officer fired. It took the best part of a lustrum to get it done and make it stick. Meanwhile he was still on duty and doing bad things.

Now, go look up "lustrum", and make it your teachable moment of the day, my friend. :)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

Brian D. wrote: Now, go look up "lustrum", and make it your teachable moment of the day, my friend. :)
Really, Really, do you think there is anyone here who doesn't know every line from True Grit by heart? We've all looked that up years ago. :D :D