A pickle of a situation

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sdonnel

Re: A pickle of a situation

Post by sdonnel »

The deck is truly stacked in their favor. My experience was at my brothers house a few years back. His BIL is a Police Officer. After five beers ( while carrying), he had his wife check to see if he was able to track a ballpoint pen moving in front of his face ( as in the DUI field tests). When she stated that he was a little iffy, he phoned his partner, who said he would take care of him. An hour later, and off he went to work. My brother and I both witnessed all of this first hand. When questioned, his wife said that he does it all the time. :shock:
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
ArmedAviator wrote:IIRC, off duty LEOs are still permitted to carry and drink. Drinking to excess is probably frowned upon, but not sure what the laws say about it, specifically.
I think your recollection is off. (then I cited the wrong statute -- whoops)

2923.121 (Possession of firearm in beer liquor permit premises) exempts officers "acting within the scope of the officer's, agent's, or employee's duties" which doesn't apply here. The remaining exemptions include the qualifier "as long as (the person) is not consuming beer or intoxicating liquor".
Unfortunately, you missed an exemption:

"This section does not apply to any of the following: *** Any person who is employed in this state, who is authorized to carry firearms, and who is subject to and in compliance with the requirements of section 109.801 of the Revised Code, unless the appointing authority of the person has expressly specified that the exemption provided in division (B)(1)(b) of this section does not apply to the person[.]" R.C. 2923.121(B)(1)(b). The last clause is the key. Don't report the guy to the local cops. Report him to his own boss, and ask the boss if that's OK with him/her. That will very likely get a reaction.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Werz wrote:...Don't report the guy to the local cops. Report him to his own boss, and ask the boss if that's OK with him/her. That will very likely get a reaction.
I see my side of such a conversation going like this:

"So, I just wanted to make sure that YOU were okay with your subordinates drinking while armed. I don't want to give the news reporter any misinformation."

:twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Werz wrote:...Don't report the guy to the local cops. Report him to his own boss, and ask the boss if that's OK with him/her. That will very likely get a reaction.
I see my side of such a conversation going like this:

"So, I just wanted to make sure that YOU were okay with your subordinates drinking while armed. I don't want to give the news reporter any misinformation."

:twisted:
Phone cam video is also helpful. And a YouTube account.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Buckeyedoc

Post by Buckeyedoc »

I've worked the past couple days, so I've been off of here. I'm going to address a couple things here first. Some good points have been brought up. I think that if I would have called the cops, it could have gone 1 of 2 ways. One, the cops who showed up could have taken his side and done absolutely nothing. Or, two, they could have come in and lowered the boom on him. Regardless, the situation has played out favorably. The chief did call. He apologized for the incident and informed me that the officer was "re-educated" on proper procedures. I know we would have all handled it differently. I did what I thought was right at the time.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Well...the guy was "re-educated" as a result of your efforts...so your actions, regardless of what others might have done, had a positive impact. :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

glocksmith wrote:Well...the guy was "re-educated" as a result of your efforts...so your actions, regardless of what others might have done, had a positive impact. :D
Hopefully that's true. Then again the chief may have been "shining on" buckeyedoc to get him to be quiet and go away. I'm not without personal experience in such matters.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.