Medical buildings and hospitals

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Medical buildings and hospitals

Post by pk47 »

I've always seen the local medical buildings and hospitals near me posted for no carry, but today I visited a hospital in Geauga county (the University Hospital system Geauga county hospital) and was surprised to see no signs posted on the main entrance doors.

Would this be a no carry area because of government ownership, or in this case is carry actually allowed?
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Medical buildings and hospitals

Post by WY_Not »

University Hospital... from the name, are they tied in to an actual university and would thus be CPZ by default for being school property?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

Good question - not sure who owns the property.

The other UH locations around me are all posted, as are the Cleveland Clinic ones. This one isn't which I thought odd.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

WY_Not wrote:University Hospital... from the name, are they tied in to an actual university and would thus be CPZ by default for being school property?
A long time ago, I worked for UH. There was affiliation with Case Western Reserve University, but not ownership by them.

The hospital in Geauga County used to be West Geauga Hospital, locally owned. Given the affiliation now with UH, I am kind of surprised that they are not posted. Could be that they have no psych ward. Or it could be that there are enough local people in charge that still have a rural attitude. Or they just forgot.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Mustang380gal wrote:
WY_Not wrote:University Hospital... from the name, are they tied in to an actual university and would thus be CPZ by default for being school property?
A long time ago, I worked for UH. There was affiliation with Case Western Reserve University, but not ownership by them.

The hospital in Geauga County used to be West Geauga Hospital, locally owned. Given the affiliation now with UH, I am kind of surprised that they are not posted. Could be that they have no psych ward. Or it could be that there are enough local people in charge that still have a rural attitude. Or they just forgot.
That would be my guess.

Administrators, in all industries, don't spend much time thinking about signs unless it's in their reserved parking space. They spend even less time thinking about gun rights.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

WestonDon wrote:Administrators, in all industries, don't spend much time thinking about signs unless it's in their reserved parking space. They spend even less time thinking about gun rights.
They'll get to it sooner or later. Before we moved we used a locally owned hospital that had an attached medical practice building. The hospital was somewhat posted if you picked the wrong door to enter the ER (one was posted, two were not) but neither the visitor's entrance on the other side of the building nor the medical building were posted. UH bought it out and after about a year they plastered the same giant GB signs I've seen at UH downtown on each and every door, including the medical building and emergency stairwell exit doors.

As to the Geauga hospital I would definitely not recommend going in openly carrying yapping about "Boy it's great how y'all respect the second amendment around these parts." Because they don't; they just haven't gotten to your ox yet. :)
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I thought my local hospital facility was NOT posted...I thought this for the longest time...until one day I looked down at the very bottom corner of the door and saw a tiny "circle/slash" icon with a knife and gun. I have no idea why it was posted in that particular location - well away from the cluster of no smoking and other postings. All this is to say to the OP...try looking in odd places, away from the usual spot, as with my own local facility, they may be posted in a spot one doesn't normally focus on when entering.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Face

Post by Face »

glocksmith wrote:I thought my local hospital facility was NOT posted...I thought this for the longest time...until one day I looked down at the very bottom corner of the door and saw a tiny "circle/slash" icon with a knife and gun. I have no idea why it was posted in that particular location - well away from the cluster of no smoking and other postings. All this is to say to the OP...try looking in odd places, away from the usual spot, as with my own local facility, they may be posted in a spot one doesn't normally focus on when entering.
For Leprechauns and midgets .
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

djthomas wrote:As to the Geauga hospital I would definitely not recommend going in openly carrying yapping about "Boy it's great how y'all respect the second amendment around these parts." Because they don't; they just haven't gotten to your ox yet. :)
I always conceal, unless in the woods, so if I was in my normal carry mode I would have been deep concealed.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

glocksmith wrote:All this is to say to the OP...try looking in odd places, away from the usual spot, as with my own local facility, they may be posted in a spot one doesn't normally focus on when entering.
If you have to look that hard, it isn't in a conspicuous location. I generally recommend *not* going to extremes to determine if a place is posted. I don't advocate wilful ignorance, mind you, but if it isn't conspicuous, then in my opinion it isn't a valid posting. But for sure, if you do find one that is inconspicuous *don't* tell them about it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

JustaShooter wrote: If you have to look that hard, it isn't in a conspicuous location. I generally recommend *not* going to extremes to determine if a place is posted. I don't advocate wilful ignorance, mind you, but if it isn't conspicuous, then in my opinion it isn't a valid posting. But for sure, if you do find one that is inconspicuous *don't* tell them about it.
Agreed. And please don't post the specifics on a public forum.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member