In car carry question

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

debgram

In car carry question

Post by debgram »

I have a question. I lhave my CCL and noticed that when in your car some people put their gun under dash, etc. I thought the gun had to be on you? Or is it only allowed in different states? I never thought about anything else other than having it on me. Thanks!
Debbie
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: In car carry question

Post by JustaShooter »

Originally in Ohio it had to be holstered on your person in plain view when in a vehicle. That's all changed now, with your CHL you can carry in a vehicle however you like in Ohio (though, you probably want to restrict access to minors, those without CHLs, and other unauthorized persons.)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
debgram

Post by debgram »

oh in plain view. I always had it concealed on me when in car. Wow good thing I never got stopped. So now I can carry on me concealed or in a holster under dash?
Debbie
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Correct. Or in the glove box, hanging from the rear-view mirror, or even twirling it around on your finger as you drive down the road. :shock: Not recommended, mind you, but legal. :wink: (In Ohio anyway.)
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
debgram

Post by debgram »

Thanks for your help and quick response. That helped me a lot to understand why it was being done that way.
Debbie
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I find it difficult to access the gun on my belt while driving so I often have a backup in a sneaky pete clipped to the center console right above the transmission hump. It's out of sight yet readily accessible.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
pps_dad

Post by pps_dad »

debgram wrote:I have a question. I lhave my CCL and noticed that when in your car some people put their gun under dash, etc. I thought the gun had to be on you? Or is it only allowed in different states? I never thought about anything else other than having it on me. Thanks!
Be careful if you are wanting to have it in somewhere like under the dash. Make sure you can draw the gun without pointing the muzzle at yourself. One reason I don't like the under dash holster setups, nearly impossible to pull the gun from the holster without pointing it at yourself.
OFCC Member
NRA Member
debgram

Post by debgram »

Thanks, I see your point.
Debbie
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Debbie:

In 2004, when the CHL program ramped up, you were required to have your weapon "in plain sight" if it wasn't boxed up or otherwise essentially inaccessible in your vehicle.

The "in plain sight" rule went away a few years later, being replaced by "on your person", unless the weapon was boxed up, etc.

That finally went away a couple years later. "Loaded v.s. unloaded" kind of went away, too.

(This applies to licensees. Unlicensed folks can't legally transport a weapon unless it's unloaded, secured, etc. They can carry openly while outside of their vehicle.) (A motorcycle is a vehicle under this law.)

There have been other, often silly, rules too, but the above were among the worst.

As has been said, above, a licensee may pretty much carry a weapon any way they want to, as long as they can legally have a weapon there.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
debgram

Post by debgram »

Thanks for that info. I understand how that works now. I always have my gun on me and loaded.
Debbie
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

SMMAssociates wrote:Debbie:
In 2004, when the CHL program ramped up, you were required to have your weapon "in plain sight" if it wasn't boxed up or otherwise essentially inaccessible in your vehicle.
Brings back horrific memories from those early days. I recall buying a dog collar so I could strap a $10 Uncle Mike's holster to my thigh in order to comply.
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Unlicensed folks can't legally transport a weapon unless it's unloaded, secured, etc.
Stu - So if my unlicensed spouse has a zipped bag of bullets in the center console and an unloaded handgun in the glove box is that legal car transport these days?
TIA
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Glock Rock wrote:
Unlicensed folks can't legally transport a weapon unless it's unloaded, secured, etc.
Stu - So if my unlicensed spouse has a zipped bag of bullets in the center console and an unloaded handgun in the glove box is that legal car transport these days?
TIA
It depends - the way the law reads, the unloaded gun must be transported in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

So, is a glove compartment a "package, box or case"? I used to think it would qualify, but I'm not so sure anymore. I personally think it would be risky to transport that way, but instead recommend a zippered gun case or the like.
NRA Life Member

MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

Does an unlicensed individual still need to have any magazines empty, too, like the old days?
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MacDonald wrote:Does an unlicensed individual still need to have any magazines empty, too, like the old days?
No, but an unlicensed person must have any loaded magazines or speed loaders in a "container that provides complete and separate enclosure". So, as I read it, you can put the unloaded gun in a zipper case, put it in the center console, put loaded magazines in a glove box that closes (but not necessarily locks), and done. Or my favorite, put the unloaded gun in the main compartment of a range bag and loaded magazines in the range bag's pouches, and as long as the main compartment and pouches close with "a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents" and "[provide] complete and separate enclosure" for the gun and loaded magazines, put the range bag on the front passenger seat, and done.
NRA Life Member