Total Number of Conceal Licenses in Ohio

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Total Number of Conceal Licenses in Ohio

Post by Brian D. »

Junglebob, I like to further break down the 21 and older adult numbers to exclude those not eligible for a CHL. It's not easy to dig up though. Some are institutionalized (in Ohio they are counted among the overall population of the state) but at least a few times that many are out and about among us law abiders.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Brian D. wrote:Junglebob, I like to further break down the 21 and older adult numbers to exclude those not eligible for a CHL. It's not easy to dig up though. Some are institutionalized (in Ohio they are counted among the overall population of the state) but at least a few times that many are out and about among us law abiders.
It might be desirable to do so, but there's no way to get reliable #s on that. For example, good luck figuring out how many adult Ohioans are Lautenberg prohibited.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Junglebob, I like to further break down the 21 and older adult numbers to exclude those not eligible for a CHL. It's not easy to dig up though. Some are institutionalized (in Ohio they are counted among the overall population of the state) but at least a few times that many are out and about among us law abiders.
It might be desirable to do so, but there's no way to get reliable #s on that. For example, good luck figuring out how many adult Ohioans are Lautenberg prohibited.
You're right. After a good bit of digging over a month one time, I came to a best guess that about 10% of the 21 and up residents were disqualified from an Ohio CHL.

********************************************************************************
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:After a good bit of digging over a month one time, I came to a best guess that about 10% of the 21 and up residents were disqualified from an Ohio CHL.
That number seems high, but I haven't really researched it. If accurate, there are about twice as many people that cannot have a CHL as do have one...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I wish I'd "saved my work" from back then. Take the total number of 21 and up. Subtract those eliminated by their current or former disqualification-level incarceration and/or institutionalization. Keep in mind that the drug-related disqualification standard in Ohio is pretty stringent; we get reports on here from people who had no idea they'd be turned down for a CHL for their long-past, um, indiscretions.

Just a number I guesstimated from sketchy data available.

concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

Don't forget about the number of LEOs. They don't need a CCL.