Where you from and whats you ccw "breakdown"

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Where you from and whats you ccw "breakdown"

Post by TSiWRX »

A couple of older threads for you to read and get other ideas from :) --->

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=58342" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TSiWRX wrote:This thread was from when I first came here:

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... .8+Compact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My response there was logged twice:
TSiWRX wrote:
TSiWRX wrote: I'm a beginner, too, bmaster, so I'll play as well.

My everyday piece is an XDm9 3.8 Compact. Carried (IWB) on my strong side, 3-o'clock, mainly to facilitate my driving/seating preferences. I have a perhaps less-than-5%-of-the-time alternate, a Kahr PM9, which I wear in the same position, albeit with a different holster, of-course (but one that also has no supplemental retention system). I'm a beginner, so I strongly believe in keeping it as simple as possible and as similar as possible: I'd have gotten a single-stack sub-compact XD/XDm if I could have. The PM9 is not quite the same, but it comes close, and with some devotion to practice (like dynamike said, you've got to train twice as hard, if you've got two setups), I'm decent with it.

My range/class gun is a full-sized XDm9. Typically, for class, I wear an OWB holster, but I keep it in the same position. I started shooting back in November of 2010, so I've been trying to keep things pretty basic: for the vast majority of my training coursework, I've used a full-hardshell-Kydex OWB setup, just so that I can keep more of my mind on the actual pistolcraft, instead of worrying about clearing garment and holstering. That said, yes, I've also done some classwork, with a variety of cover garments (including my usual everyday-wear, and using my everyday holster).

Since November, I've got about 12,000 rounds on my full-sized "class gun." My carry Compact has seen somewhere south of half that round-count. The PM9, in-comparison, has barely been shot: only about 600 rounds. Beginning next summer, I will start to run classwork with it, to insure my proficiency with even this "alternate" carry.

As with tomfolery, I find the ammo capacity of the XDm9 to be very comforting. I have 13+1 of Federal's 147 gr. HST ready-to-rock in my Compact, sitting off-side in an IWB spare magazine holster is a full-sized XDm9 magazine, with a grip extension below, making for 19 extra rounds of the same. I also use a Pearce Grip Extension on the "flush" 13-round magazine of my Compact. I know from the rounds that I've put through that pistol that, currently, I shoot equally well with it, as I do its full-sized counterpart, until I get upwards of 25 yards, and try to drill the same hole. :oops: I'm not that good, yet! :lol:
That was back in August of 2011. It's still all the same today. I've moved my holster position a bit more forward, it now rides between 2:30 and 3-o'clock.

That full-sized XDm9 now has somewhere over 35K rounds on her, and my carry 3.8 Compact has about 10K on its clock. I've since bought a doppelganger to my carry, which I reserve solely for training use (thus sparing the carry from excess wear and training abuse) - it's now got around ~5K rounds on it.

I still have that PM9, but it regretfully haven't seen nearly as much training use - nor carry. :oops:
^ That second quote dates back to about this time in 2013.

I'm still currently carrying the same, but there's been a few more rounds on both the full-size as well as my training-use 3.8 Compact. :)

There was also a running thread on people's entire "load out" - http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=58342" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TSiWRX wrote:
TSiWRX wrote:Same thing, day in, day out: XDm9 3.8 Compact with Pearce grip extension in Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro, riding on a Zlogonje Gunleathers double-layer belt. Off-side is a Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB spare magazine holder, housing a full-sized magazine with XTension.

99% of the time, when you meet me, that's what I'll be carrying. :D

----

Edit - since people are listing ammo/accessories:

Ammo is also 99% Federal HST, 147 gr. My EDC flashlight, in my off-side front pants pocket, is a Surefire Z2S-LED with an XConcealment clip. Clipped to the front of it is a Emerson folding karambit. My usual cutting tool is either the Leatherman Freestyle CX on my strong side, or a Nemesis Ti Card for those real-sheep situations. :lol:

Occasionally, my dress may require that I carry something thinner/smaller: a Kahr PM9 loaded with Speer 147 gr. GDHPs helps me maintain an approximate manual-of-arms, and it's holstered at the same place, albeit in a Garrett Silent Thunder Slim II. I carry a 7-round spare in a D.M.Bullard pocket mag carrier.

In the winter, if I'm wearing a more limiting cover garment, I'll stick my S&W M&P 340 in the off-side front cover-garment pocket, riding in a Desantis Nemesis. 5 shots of Speer's 135 gr. GDHP .38-Special +P. I think this little wheel-gun weighs less than the gloves and Bianchi speed-strip that I carry to counterblanace it in the other jacket pocket. :lol:
The only things that changed?

Surefire LX2 for EDC, which is switched out to a E2D/Malkoff M60/VME for weekend duty. The Z2S-LED is now a part of my dedicated HD/training kit.

The Emerson Folding Karambit has been replaced by either a Spyderco Lum Titanium Tanto for EDC or a Benchmade AFCK on the weekends. I came to the realization that I'm not a ninja - not even a Chris Farley-esque one :oops: - and I don't have the training to really be able to properly employ the Karambit. A Spyderco Terzuola Starmate rides in my strong side front pocket, in a DeSantis MagPacker.
^ That second post dates back to January of 2013 (about a year after my initial post in that thread). In the last year or so, the only thing that's changed is a Waved Spyderco Delica has taken the place of the primary knives (Lum/AFCK).

Same gear, same setup. I've been able to stay pretty consistent partly because of my belief in maintaining that consistency, and partly because I just can't afford to switch not just guns, but all the associated support gear! I've been contemplating switching to the HK VP9 (I'll likely wait-out until the SK variant arrives), but totaling up all the mags that I'd want plus the revamp of my support gear makes for a sobering $Texas sum to that dream!
That post goes back to April of 2015 - and I'm still carrying the same gun. I never really had that existential crisis come full-blown with the VP9, but there's a couple of folks who know me here who will tell you that I was ready to put green down on the counter for four or five Glocks - plus a truckload of mags - about a year ago, and it was only really by-chance that I did not, and decided to stay with the Springfields. Round counts have progressed, of-course. About 48K rounds on my training/range 4.5-inch XDm9, and 18K rounds on the range/training copy 3.8 Compact. The carry gun now has just over 10K on it (I now average about 50 to 100 rounds a year on this gun), while the HD 4.5-inch has probably 500 (again, a low-round-count gun).

The knife is still the same Waved Delica.

It's been pretty boring......

I did add a Surefire EB2 (with their old "tactical" low-to-high push-through momentary tailcap) as a weekend/night carry. The increase in lumens and throw both help tremendously when its dark out, but its low is a bit too low for what I need at work, so I still preferentially carry the LX2 on a workday basis. That said, I like the EB2 so much that I picked up a copy of it for dedicated training use: the amount of abuse that a training flashlight gets in just one low-light class makes most people cringe. :lol:

The biggest change for me has been the much-welcome addition of a Surefire XC-1 on my EDC XDm 9 3.8 Compact, which now rides in a KT-Mech Defender (full hardshell Kydex) Light-Bearing holster. It's still at my 2:30-ish, still IWB. Currently using Comp-Tac's plastic over-the-belt clips, mated to Ares Gear's Enhanced Ranger belts. it's been a great setup so far, and after my first low-light class with this setup, I purchased a copy of it for my training 3.8 Compact, too. The training full-size got a light upgrade recently, too: to the 600-lumen Surefire X300U, and it also rides in a KT-Mech Defender holster (as RCS no longer builds for this gun).
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Big Boomer

Post by Big Boomer »

For bear defense try the S&W .500mag 4inch.....just slightly more recoil than that .22short some one mentioned
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

I am in Warren County and carry the LCP II in front weak side pocket and a Glock 27 AIWB. I very recently purchased a Sig P239 which may replace my Glock.
The LCP II is paired with a Glock 42 during days I wear shorts.
I sometimes carry my .45 Shield or G30S to shake things up.

Perhaps I should go back to being a one gun owner.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

MacDonald wrote:I am in Warren County and carry the LCP II in front weak side pocket and a Glock 27 AIWB. I very recently purchased a Sig P239 which may replace my Glock.

Why? It's good having choices. I used to have quite a collection, then went down to one gun for many years, out of economic necessity. Not that there's anything wrong with my old compact 45 right now, but at least I have one other option should I need it. Unfortunately the other option is the same frame size as my 45. If I ever get another gun, it will be smaller, like pocket size. The LCP or LCP 2 looks very interesting.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

MacDonald wrote:I am in Warren County and carry the LCP II in front weak side pocket and a Glock 27 AIWB. I very recently purchased a Sig P239 which may replace my Glock.

Replacing a Glock for carry on this forum is somewhat unusual, could you share with us your reason ? thanks.