Where you from and whats you ccw "breakdown"

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Smiles4Miles

Where you from and whats you ccw "breakdown"

Post by Smiles4Miles »

East side Cleveland, Mayfield area.

I carry my LCP 2 100% of the time in a Boraii pocket holster which is a fair priced kydex device! 75% of the time its the FNS9c (2,000+ flawless rounds, multiple ammo) in a Clearwater Tactical IWB (switching to Vedder IWB) or R&R OWB. Summer time and light clothing at work i'll go to the Glock 43 20% of the time in Badger Concealment IWB.

Rare occasion CZ 75BD in R&R IWB or SP101 357 in Alien Gear OWB. Mostly stick to striker fired tho try not to change too much. Always a Spare mag on person. Always carry gerber or my s&w pocket knife, flashlight, multitool, CRKT mini fixed blade, wrist watch, paracord bracelet.

Been carrying almost 1 year. Id like to hear what are you carrying? Do you "rotate" ccw of choice? Base it off ability of concealment like me? One gun only for simplicity? Good holster advice? What else is on you daily?

Stay safe friends.
CZ 75BD, Canik TP9SA, FNS9c, Glock 43, Taurus M65 4" .357, Ruger SP101 3" .357
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Where you from and whats you ccw "breakdown"

Post by Cruiser »

Welcome. Please add your general location in your profile. It is a big help in future communication.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

We certainly don't mind revisiting the topic but you'll find threads about this in the Firearms and Gear section.

Personally I like polymer guns such as S&W M&P and Glock, mostly in 9mm. Manual of arms is the same between them. I also favor the 1911/Browning High Power cocked and locked "family".

My carry for places with predators bigger than humans is a Glock model 20 in 10mm. I hand load 200 grain full metal jacket bullets in front of a generous dose of Blue Dot powder. When out of the woods and in town on those trips I switch out the "bear medicine" for CorBon or Winchester Silvertip hollow point ammo.

If I opt for a second gun at any time (carried front pocket, weak side) it will be a Glock model 43, or J frame S&W revolver.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

I hope you don't intend your "bear medicine" for real bears. No handgun cartridge is enough for grizzlies. 200 grains will just make them mad. I carried 320 grain cast core penetrators and felt unarmed until I got the 12 gauge back.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

If you don't have a handgun here is some advice:

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear confrontations, the Montana Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and be alert for bears while in the field. …We advise that outdoorsmen wear small bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren’t expecting them, and to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter….

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in it and smell like pepper.
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Glock 17 in a Zlogonje owb holster.
Short story.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

calvin56 wrote:I hope you don't intend your "bear medicine" for real bears. No handgun cartridge is enough for grizzlies. 200 grains will just make them mad. I carried 320 grain cast core penetrators and felt unarmed until I got the 12 gauge back.
I was talking eastern U.S. like the Great Smoky Mountains NP with their wild boar, black bears etc. found there. But I'd feel reasonably safe out west against grizzlies with the hot 10mm hand loads too.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

Been carrying since 2008. Most of the time I'm packing a S&W M&P 4.25 with two spare mags, if I need smaller I goto my Shield 9mm, if I need really deep concealment I goto a S&W M&P Bodyguard 380 which is often in my pocket even if one of the other two pistols mentioned is on my hip... I guess I like S&W.... I do pack a Kimber Custom II now and again and I'd like to add a lightweight Ruger Commander to the mix... I like wilderness tactical belts and crossbreed holsters...
-Aaron
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Carring legally since 2004. Every single day.
Glock model 30, in a Glock OEM, $13 holster. :) Same holster for 13 years, not worn out yet!
Spare 13 round mag in Glock OEM mag carrier.

Sam gun, holster, mag carrier, location, the whole time.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Smiles4Miles

Post by Smiles4Miles »

the classic bear vs pistols debate. lol always finds its way in every thread i read.

I know some people only carry one specific gun for long periods of time or at least keep same manual of arms. Being pretty darn knew to this i think thats smart. BTW anyone ever use R & R Holsters off Amazon? I bought some cuz they were pretty budget friendly. Ive bought a lot of holsters in this first year carrying, i know some of you vets have so much more experience. The R & R is a great holster OWB for ccw. nice and tight to the body good kydex holster for $25 Im shocked. Just thought Id add that.
CZ 75BD, Canik TP9SA, FNS9c, Glock 43, Taurus M65 4" .357, Ruger SP101 3" .357
robbo

Post by robbo »

Gramps wrote:If you don't have a handgun here is some advice:

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear confrontations, the Montana Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and be alert for bears while in the field. …We advise that outdoorsmen wear small bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren’t expecting them, and to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter….

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in it and smell like pepper.
:lol: Thats funny...dont care who ya are....lol
pps_dad

Post by pps_dad »

Van Wert County
Most of the time I carry a Ruger LC9s in a custom IWB hybrid holster. I do switch it up with a M&P Shield 9, Ruger LCP, Ruger SR1911c, just depends what I feel like on the given day. I also carry a Kershaw Speedsafe folder, a Streamlight Stylus Pro and a crkt minimalist.
OFCC Member
NRA Member
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

Currently carrying a S&W 442 Airweight in .38 spl.
God made man, Colt made them equal
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

calvin56 wrote:I hope you don't intend your "bear medicine" for real bears. No handgun cartridge is enough for grizzlies. 200 grains will just make them mad. I carried 320 grain cast core penetrators and felt unarmed until I got the 12 gauge back.
When I was in northern Canada many decades ago, although they preferred rifles, the locals didn't seem to have a problem carrying 44 magnums for polar bear defense, with 240 grain bullets.

Since I don't have to worry about bears, I only carry for protection against 2 legged predators. (.22 short :mrgreen: )
38smith

Post by 38smith »

I've been carrying since 2011 in Southeast Ohio. I carry a Bersa uc9 in a Rawdog iwb holster. Rarely I will carry my 38 airweight.