How many carrying revolvers

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Re: How many carrying revolvers

Postby Mr. Glock » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:20 pm

BadCrosshairDay wrote:I realized that I wouldn't really replace the 442 with a 43: the 43 would only be carried iwb, and not in pocket.

The reason I am considering it is I think I'd shoot the glock 43 better than I shoot a 442. And there's a chance at reloading if needed. Speedloaders don't work well with my 442,the fit is too tight.


I have found that.to.be true, I'm.more accurate with a 43 than a J-frame. I find tbe 43 to be easier to shoot than many tiny 9s too. YMMV of.course.
“Without dignity there is no liberty, without justice there is no dignity, and without independence there are no free men.”
- Patrice Lumumba
OFCC Patron, NRA Benefactor Life, GOA & Hot Stove League Member
User avatar
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 8647
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: NE Ohio

Re: How many carrying revolvers

Postby AzRanger » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:25 am

BadCrosshairDay wrote:
AzRanger wrote:I've carried a Glock 43, I think it had 7 round cap., A Ruger LC9s, also 7 rounds, I had a S&W Shield that I liked but it was 6 rounds, I tried a Kel-Tec and also a Ruger in .380 both had 6 round cap. I keep going back to my trusty S&W 442 hammerless in .38 Special. It's only 1 or 2 rounds short of the other carry guns I've had and it's reliable and a .38 special has some knock down power. To each his own but I do not feel underarmed with my revolver! 8)


What did you like better about the 442 than the glock 43? I was thinking of making the opposite switch eventually, so I'm curious.


The 43 I had jammed a few times and it seemed like it liked only certain kinds of ammo. Maybe it was just that gun but once a gun jams a few times I done with it! The 442 is as reliable as you can get. Just MHO.......... 8)
God made man, Colt made them equal
User avatar
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:33 am
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: How many carrying revolvers

Postby Mr. Glock » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:13 am

Small autos are going to be more ammo sensitive, just based on the reduced dimensions while doing the same work. Ive found the 43 to have no issues in 600 or so rounds, except when I tried to feed it 147 HST rounds (nose-dived into the feed ramp). No issues with a wide variety of 115 to 135 grain regular pressure up to +P+ rounds. I'll accept that.

Small autos are more sensitive to hand position/limp wristing too.
“Without dignity there is no liberty, without justice there is no dignity, and without independence there are no free men.”
- Patrice Lumumba
OFCC Patron, NRA Benefactor Life, GOA & Hot Stove League Member
User avatar
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 8647
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: NE Ohio

Re: How many carrying revolvers

Postby glocksmith » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:31 pm

I was just reading an article on revolvers and the author made yet another good point in favor of revolvers...in fact, it was a point I had never considered - they're the most broadly legal firearm - meaning you can carry them most anywhere in the US without worrying about running afoul of the law in some cities and small towns. Doesn't sound like much, but if you travel a lot, or even a little it becomes significant.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
glocksmith
 
Posts: 3918
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:04 am
Location: Cincinnati/SW Ohio

Re: How many carrying revolvers

Postby schmieg » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:09 pm

AzRanger wrote:I've carried a Glock 43, I think it had 7 round cap., A Ruger LC9s, also 7 rounds, I had a S&W Shield that I liked but it was 6 rounds, I tried a Kel-Tec and also a Ruger in .380 both had 6 round cap. I keep going back to my trusty S&W 442 hammerless in .38 Special. It's only 1 or 2 rounds short of the other carry guns I've had and it's reliable and a .38 special has some knock down power. To each his own but I do not feel underarmed with my revolver! 8)

I just bought an LC9s for my wife (they had a purple one and that's her favorite color). I have avoided stryker type guns in the past as I am just not comfortable carrying something that has a trigger pull close to that of a 1911 with no safety, but the LC9s has a safety which is easy to manipulate. The gun has a nice trigger pull and is comfortable for small hands which makes it a good firearm for her. I did get the extended mags though.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
User avatar
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 5155
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:11 pm
Location: Madeira, Ohio

Re: How many carrying revolvers

Postby Tru-Heathen » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:48 pm

glocksmith wrote:I was just reading an article on revolvers and the author made yet another good point in favor of revolvers...in fact, it was a point I had never considered - they're the most broadly legal firearm - meaning you can carry them most anywhere in the US without worrying about running afoul of the law in some cities and small towns. Doesn't sound like much, but if you travel a lot, or even a little it becomes significant.



Link ? I'd like to know what locales I'm forbidden by law to carry a pistol but can carry a revolver instead. :?
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
User avatar
Tru-Heathen
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:17 pm
Location: Hardin County

Re: How many carrying revolvers

Postby schmieg » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:58 pm

Tru-Heathen wrote:
glocksmith wrote:I was just reading an article on revolvers and the author made yet another good point in favor of revolvers...in fact, it was a point I had never considered - they're the most broadly legal firearm - meaning you can carry them most anywhere in the US without worrying about running afoul of the law in some cities and small towns. Doesn't sound like much, but if you travel a lot, or even a little it becomes significant.



Link ? I'd like to know what locales I'm forbidden by law to carry a pistol but can carry a revolver instead. :?

Some places, like California, restrict pistols for all kinds of reasons, including color. Others, like New York, restrict the number of rounds that a firearm can hold. Now, none of those places come to mind, without some research, which I'm not inclined to do at this point, grant reciprocity or issue non-resident licenses, but there may be a couple. In most places, the typical carry revolver is not so restricted. However, again off the top of my head, I don't think it is anything the prudent licensee has to worry about because it's likely he couldn't carry anything in those restrictive states anyway.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
User avatar
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 5155
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:11 pm
Location: Madeira, Ohio

Re: How many carrying revolvers

Postby Tru-Heathen » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:18 pm

schmieg wrote:
Some places, like California, restrict pistols for all kinds of reasons, including color. Others, like New York, restrict the number of rounds that a firearm can hold. Now, none of those places come to mind, without some research, which I'm not inclined to do at this point, grant reciprocity or issue non-resident licenses, but there may be a couple. In most places, the typical carry revolver is not so restricted. However, again off the top of my head, I don't think it is anything the prudent licensee has to worry about because it's likely he couldn't carry anything in those restrictive states anyway.



California is on the list of states I have no desire to visit as are most of the Northeastern states. The several states "magazine capacity limits" can be met with the single stack pistols I own.

I agree that a prudent licensee doesn't have to worry about it because it's likely they couldn't carry anything in those restrictive states anyway.

However, the assertion that you aren't allowed to carry a semi-auto pistol smacks of "Wheel-gunner propaganda" to me. And yes, as I posted earlier,I have owned revolvers. I just don't feel the nostalgia for them now .
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
User avatar
Tru-Heathen
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:17 pm
Location: Hardin County

Re: How many carrying revolvers

Postby glocksmith » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:22 pm

Here's the link: http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/the-frugal-expert-part-2-revolver-efficiency/ And as us revolver guys are always trying to...or better yet having to justify our choice of weapon...we're all ears when anybody can come up with any new argument in favor of the wheelgun. And for you TruHeathen - there is no such list of municipalities, counties or whatever where high capacity magazines are against the law. And that is precisely the author's point...it is easier and safer to tote a wheelgun when traveling through multiple states without having to worry you may be passing through an area with a magazine ban. My own city Cincinnati had a ban on magazines over 10 rounds...and since I-71 and I-75 passes right through downtown Cincinnati, think of how many people were in theory breaking the local law. Anyway, I just thought the author had a good point. It's not one I'd ever thought about.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
glocksmith
 
Posts: 3918
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:04 am
Location: Cincinnati/SW Ohio

Re: How many carrying revolvers

Postby Tru-Heathen » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:27 pm

Thanks for the link.

I still stand by my opinion.And having read the article comments I'm not the only one pointing out the "single stack" option.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
User avatar
Tru-Heathen
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:17 pm
Location: Hardin County

Re: How many carrying revolvers

Postby glocksmith » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Well, then I'm happy too - because my 8-shot moon clip offers me just as much firepower as a single stack - it just does so in a more reliable package :mrgreen:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
glocksmith
 
Posts: 3918
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:04 am
Location: Cincinnati/SW Ohio

Re: How many carrying revolvers

Postby Tru-Heathen » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:09 pm

glocksmith wrote:Well, then I'm happy too - because my 8-shot moon clip offers me just as much firepower as a single stack - it just does so in a more reliable package :mrgreen:



Took a look at http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf and found the states that have capacity restrictions.

Connecticut,Hawaii, DC,Maryland ,Massachusetts, New York, and California all have 10 rd limits.
My Sig P220 standard mag holds 8..and the "extended magazine " holds 10. My XDs9 magazine holds 9.

Illinois,Colorado and New Jersey 15 rounds. I'm good with my double stack Sig P320 there.

I've no issue with Sig's reliability. :wink:

We can go back & forth on this endlessly; I'll agree to this, a revolver can be a thing of beauty.
And as the saying goes "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I'm just not that guy.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
User avatar
Tru-Heathen
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:17 pm
Location: Hardin County

Re: How many carrying revolvers

Postby curmudgeon3 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:59 am

This issue has been ground into microscopic granules so small they'll be blown away on the first light spring breeze.lol
curmudgeon3
 
Posts: 6534
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:31 pm

Re: How many carrying revolvers

Postby glocksmith » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:14 am

Tru-Heathen wrote:We can go back & forth on this endlessly; I'll agree to this, a revolver can be a thing of beauty.
And as the saying goes "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I'm just not that guy.


I wasn't aware this was a debate. If you are looking for an argument, I'd start a new thread - that'd make a great topic for debate....wheelgun versus magfed. The OP asked how many carrying revolvers...and we wheelgunners responded. Dunno how it got to be about revolver vs. SIG P320...but I applaud you for your choice of carry gun and for not following the herd or current fads :wink:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
glocksmith
 
Posts: 3918
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:04 am
Location: Cincinnati/SW Ohio

Re: How many carrying revolvers

Postby RF_Plumber » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:32 pm

My carry options include revolvers, snubby revolvers and single stack autoloaders.

For a good read about the advantages of the revolver I recommend The Snubby Revolver By Ed Lovette
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
--P.J. O'Rourke
User avatar
RF_Plumber
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:56 am
Location: Seneca County, Ohio

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio Concealed Carry Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests