LAC now Unlawful

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WeinerDog

LAC now Unlawful

Post by WeinerDog »

I was talking to a couple of acquaintances the other day and tried to convey info about the new law taking effect and where it will now be legal to carry. One of the guys kind of puffs up and declares that he always carries anywhere he wants because it's more important for him to be able to protect his family than to obey laws.
I didn't respond at the time (I was kind of shocked ) but later as I thought about his statement, I thought " what an _ss !"
You get your CHL because you are a LAC and then you don't obey the laws. Kind of ticks me off. Hopefully I'm never looking through cell bars saying " I told you so. "
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: LAC now Unlawful

Post by JustaShooter »

I wonder if many of them just don't understand the potential consequences they could face if caught, and that they are giving money to people who disagree with their freedoms. Either way, I see that kind of thing more and more it seems. I mean, I get it - I dislike disarming for any reason, and I've had my share of thoughts along the lines of "who are they to tell me I can't" and" what they don't know won't hurt me" and so on. But, only for a moment. Then I remember who I am, and who I try to be, and if I learned nothing else from my father it is honor and integrity. I know I can find another business, another restaurant, another whatever (except for Government facilities, which really burns me...). At the end of the day, I and I alone am accountable for my choices, and I do my best to choose honor and integrity.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I've got a related gripe about off limits to carry at "government" buildings. Will elaborate more in a couple months, but for a hint, take a walk along E. Town Street in downtown Columbus some nice day.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Thanlon23

Post by Thanlon23 »

I understand where he's coming from though.

You can't always avoid Criminal Protection Zones, depending on where you live. If you live in an area that's more urban (Cuyahoga County for example), you've got a better thence of running into a CPZ than if you live in a more rural area.

If you enter a CPZ unarmed, if something happens and you end up hurt, even if you sue the ownership you won't win. But there isn't always an alternative place to go that will let you carry. Not unless you want to travel thirty minutes or so out of your way to do stuff.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

WeinerDog wrote:You get your CHL because you are a LAC and then you don't obey the laws. Kind of ticks me off. Hopefully I'm never looking through cell bars saying " I told you so. "
That seems a very rigid stance. Would it be your opinion that a person is obligated to follow any and every law "duly" enacted regardless of contrary opinion? if they do not, are they then no longer to be considered, by blanket application, "law abiding citizens"?

I suppose that I was going 86 in a 70 on the highway the other day makes me some sort of Mad Max outlaw. (Carmen wasn't in front of me at the time.)

I suspect that there are a number of forumites here who may act similarly to your acquaintance.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

sodbuster95 wrote:I suspect that there are a number of forumites here who may act similarly to your acquaintance.
Everyone has the power of choice when it comes to obeying or disobeying the law. As for me, when it comes to laws, I always ask myself "Does my engaging in this particular activity hurt others or present a threat to the property of others?" If the answer is "NO"...then I have no qualms about breaking that particular law. P.S. And oftentimes I do :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
bc25241

Post by bc25241 »

I have had a CHL for about a year. I usually don't look for signs. If I'm dressed to conceal I do. Great forum here!
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Welcome BC
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

bc25241 wrote:I usually don't look for signs.
This is how I go about my daily activities. If I see a sign, I turn around and go elsewhere. If I don't see one, I'll head in and do my business. If it's not very obvious, I'm not going out of my way to look. If I am every questioned by an officer (which I would have really had to screw up to get to that point), I can say "no, I was not aware of a sign, I'll be leaving now." A jury would hear the same, truthful answer if things got really really really out of hand.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

sodbuster95 wrote:
WeinerDog wrote:You get your CHL because you are a LAC and then you don't obey the laws. Kind of ticks me off. Hopefully I'm never looking through cell bars saying " I told you so. "
That seems a very rigid stance. Would it be your opinion that a person is obligated to follow any and every law "duly" enacted regardless of contrary opinion? if they do not, are they then no longer to be considered, by blanket application, "law abiding citizens"?

I suppose that I was going 86 in a 70 on the highway the other day makes me some sort of Mad Max outlaw. (Carmen wasn't in front of me at the time.)

I suspect that there are a number of forumites here who may act similarly to your acquaintance.
By the same token, you know that a judge will not give the jury an instruction on the defense of "a God-given right to defend yourself."

I think you also know that you really don't want to put on the witness stand the chest-thumping, can't-tell-me-nothin' type.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

sodbuster95 wrote:

I think it is more of a mindset than a behavior. Yes, we probably all break laws of our choosing (speeding, spitting on the sidewalk, etc,) but frequently, these are not conscious decisions...sometimes they are, but frequently not. I guess it depends on our perception of how important it is to obey vs. the risk of being caught.

To bother to go through the process of obtaining a CHL, and then deciding to consciously deciding to ignore postings is kind of inconsistent.
...which I have been guilty of at times...
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

MacDonald wrote:
sodbuster95 wrote:

I think it is more of a mindset than a behavior. Yes, we probably all break laws of our choosing (speeding, spitting on the sidewalk, etc,) but frequently, these are not conscious decisions...sometimes they are, but frequently not. I guess it depends on our perception of how important it is to obey vs. the risk of being caught.

To bother to go through the process of obtaining a CHL, and then deciding to consciously deciding to ignore postings is kind of inconsistent.
...which I have been guilty of at times...
It is difficult to go through a day in this age without violating some obscure law. However, knowingly and, sometimes blatantly, violating firearms related laws is a bad idea which can threaten your pocketbook, your freedom and your license, not to mention your ability to legally own guns. Further, it gives the rest of the carrying community a bad name and is counterproductive to the movement.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand