RENEWAL DENIED?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OhioPaints

Re: RENEWAL DENIED?

Post by OhioPaints »

slidelock wrote:So I got a phone call from the sheriff himself. He had a suggestion, that I should come in and run my application again using either zeros or ones for my social security number. That strikes me as a reasonable work around.
I hope that I am not paranoid but my first reaction is that you would be submitting false information which is possibly a crime or at least enough to disqualify the application.

If that is the issue, why doesn't their terminal operator use that approach? You fill it out accurately and correctly and they use whatever techniques needed to make the system work.

Ken
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

^^this^^
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Gramps wrote:I have a huge pile of wood to split for next year MYSY. Wanna help?
MWSY's specialty is splitting *hairs* (and occasionally the figurative skulls of public officials), not wood... :mrgreen:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Instead of numbers for SS#, how about asterisks or stars?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Javelin Man wrote:Instead of numbers for SS#, how about asterisks or stars?
I wouldn't risk it.

Depending on how vindictive the authorities are that might warrant a falsification on a CHL application charge (a felony by the way). It's the old you don't have to answer, but if you do, it better be the truth. Not that you couldn't beat it out in court but the felony rap is a rough ride.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

djthomas wrote:
I wouldn't risk it.

Depending on how vindictive the authorities are that might warrant a falsification on a CHL application charge (a felony by the way). It's the old you don't have to answer, but if you do, it better be the truth. Not that you couldn't beat it out in court but the felony rap is a rough ride.

This. If their software can't run without a social, it's up to them to find the workaround, not you. That also clears you of any charges of falsification of documents, as you didn't.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

jeep45238 wrote:
djthomas wrote:
I wouldn't risk it.

This. If their software can't run without a social, it's up to them to find the workaround, not you. That also clears you of any charges of falsification of documents, as you didn't.
It's all LEADS. So technically they aren't using any special software. LEADS is the EXACT same in all 88 counties in Ohio. So it's just idiot operators and idiot supervisors that don't know much about the requirements either.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Jedi, they appear to be using what looks like 3M/Cogent software with the electronic fingerprint scanner that I've seen at other locations offering the Webcheck background check service.

It's not a standard LEADS terminal.

Could it just be a front-end that dumps/links to LEADS?
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Gramps wrote:...
I have a huge pile of wood to split for next year MYSY. Wanna help?
If you have a power splitter, I can operate the lever. :D
MyWifeSaidYes
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Jedi, they appear to be using what looks like 3M/Cogent software with the electronic fingerprint scanner that I've seen at other locations offering the Webcheck background check service.

It's not a standard LEADS terminal.

Could it just be a front-end that dumps/links to LEADS?
That's what they use for the BCI check and to make the cards. That machine will not do a NICS check or enter the CHL info into LEADS as far as I'm aware. Sure, the machine can work on the LEADS network, but LEADS is pretty particular on what actually enters and queries data on the LEADS network.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
ARMYADS

Post by ARMYADS »

I just renewed a couple weeks ago in Sandusky county. I left my SS of the renewal and was told by the deputy there that it was a misprint on the renewal form and that the SS# is mandatory for renewal. Filled it in, paid my money and was on my merry way in about ten minutes.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

ARMYADS wrote:I just renewed a couple weeks ago in Sandusky county. I left my SS of the renewal and was told by the deputy there that it was a misprint on the renewal form and that the SS# is mandatory for renewal. Filled it in, paid my money and was on my merry way in about ten minutes.
They are bluffing. Sounds like MWSY has some major work to do and maybe get the AG to issue a statement on it.

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
ARMYADS wrote:I just renewed a couple weeks ago in Sandusky county. I left my SS of the renewal and was told by the deputy there that it was a misprint on the renewal form and that the SS# is mandatory for renewal. Filled it in, paid my money and was on my merry way in about ten minutes.
They are bluffing. Sounds like MWSY has some major work to do and maybe get the AG to issue a statement on it.
I have tomorrow off. I'll call Sandusky and check on them.

I'm sure it will take more than a few Sheriff's pulling this stunt to get an official response from the AG.

If we could swing such a thing, I would include many other items for the AG to clarify for Ohio's Sheriffs.
MyWifeSaidYes
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

Not to go to far off topic but how does SOC=SSN? Uncle has some strange acronyms.

Also a big thanks to MWSY and Jedi!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

concreteguy wrote:Not to go to far off topic but how does SOC=SSN? Uncle has some strange acronyms.

Also a big thanks to MWSY and Jedi!
SOC = SOCial Security Number (abbreviation)
SSN = Social Security Number (acronym)