Unless authorized by law

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tru-Heathen

Re: Unless authorized by law

Post by Tru-Heathen »

glocksmith wrote:
Hmm. Got a lot of old geezers on this forum. Only old geezers know the lyrics to songs like that :mrgreen:

Which sign ?

The one that said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply."

Or
The one that says " GET OFF MY LAWN !"
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

For you youngsters:

Five Man Electric Band

"Signs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeT5otk2R1g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

If such a sign is posted on private property, the meaning is up to the person or organization that controls that property. If it's on a statutory CPZ, the meaning is clear.

The ORC states that the license is good in the entire state except for ... Thus, there is no otherwise authorized by law basis for the statutory CPZ's. The license is not valid in those locations period. For the private property issue, either the owner of the property or the court will decide what it means. I can make an argument either way, but I fear that the courts would take the position that there is no exception to the posted private property ban in the law, so carry is not otherwise authorized. We're back to if you are asked to leave, do not pass go, do not collect $200, just leave.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

schmieg wrote:The ORC states that the license is good in the entire state except for ... Thus, there is no otherwise authorized by law basis for the statutory CPZ's. The license is not valid in those locations period. For the private property issue, either the owner of the property or the court will decide what it means. I can make an argument either way, but I fear that the courts would take the position that there is no exception to the posted private property ban in the law, so carry is not otherwise authorized. We're back to if you are asked to leave, do not pass go, do not collect $200, just leave.
And adding to the interplay, carrying in a statutory CPZ is a felony CCW offense because as you said, one's license is not valid there. Carrying against the wishes of a private property owner is explicitly NOT a CCW offense - it's criminal trespass. So as far as carrying a concealed weapon on private premises goes, yes the license does allow you to do so notwithstanding the general prohibition against carrying concealed weapons in this state. But it does not excuse you from charges of trespassing. Since we're all law abiding folks here and the distinction between a felony and a misdemeanor is irrelevant I'll steal a line from the not-quite-President: "What difference, at this point, does it make?" Fun times.