Form to List MH Treatment and Prescriptions

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M1956

Form to List MH Treatment and Prescriptions

Post by M1956 »

Is it common for the Sheriffs office to use a standalone form on renewals that you check off if you have been convicted of a crime; been treated by a psychologist or psychiatrist and any "mental health" type drugs?
I didn't recall such a form on my initial application ... was presented with it on my renewal with pointed questions on do you or have you ever used ...

Not a personal problem for me ... however I found it to be a bit over the top.

Regards
Brian D.

Re: Form to List MH Treatment and Prescriptions

Post by Brian D. »

Hello, welcome. Can't say I recall ever filling out something like that for a renewal, nor reading about one on here. So, what county are we talking about? (You might want to put a general location in your profile by the way, so it shows up alongside your posts. It can be as simple as "SW Ohio" or whatever.)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Ignore it. The appropriate form comes from the Ohio AG (and is available on the Ohio AG website) and the details of the process are outlined in the O.R.C. The form is five pages. (http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/File ... plication-(P.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Anything else is just a Sheriff overstepping their bounds.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Not only is it not common, in my opinion it is overstepping the Sheriff's authority. Please, post which county this happened in - I'm sure our very own MyWifeSaidYes, AKA "Ohio's friendliest compliance officer" would like to begin a casual correspondence with them... :mrgreen:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M1956

Post by M1956 »

I will complete the profile. The county is Ross ... the Sheriff here is an upstanding individual and I actually supported him in the last election. As far as I know, it could be something the person completing the CCW paperwork made for herself to use as a shortcut.

Just found this site. Interesting reads.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm sure he is a great guy, M1956 - and he probably isn't the person that instituted the form and my not even be aware it is being used.

Interesting - the Ross County Conceal Carry Laws web page does not appear to have been updated since before the original law took effect in 2004, and contains two references to "mental competency records" that I have not seen on any other county sheriff website.

Those of you that have been at this longer than I have, was there a requirement to prove mental competency in the original law, or perhaps in the proposed law that was changed before passage?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Whether he is an upstanding guy or not is irrelevant. He is overstepping his bounds. The form should be ignored. Its very existence should be questioned. If the Sheriff won't follow the law then they need to be called out on it.
M1956 wrote:I will complete the profile. The county is Ross ... the Sheriff here is an upstanding individual and I actually supported him in the last election. As far as I know, it could be something the person completing the CCW paperwork made for herself to use as a shortcut.

Just found this site. Interesting reads.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I have Monday and Tuesday off and may have to run down to Chillicothe and visit the Sheriff...and stop at Sumburger.

If you find yourself in Chillicothe, visit Sumburger for a burger and fries. I'd been driving past that restaurant for years and always meant to stop in. I finally did last year and I about kicked myself for not having stopped sooner. Good food.
MyWifeSaidYes
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Whoohoo! Go get 'em MWSY!

Passed through Chillicothe a number of times as well. Only times I've actually stayed was the for the bike rodeo at the fairgrounds. :D
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I have Monday and Tuesday off and may have to run down to Chillicothe and visit the Sheriff...and stop at Sumburger.

If you find yourself in Chillicothe, visit Sumburger for a burger and fries. I'd been driving past that restaurant for years and always meant to stop in. I finally did last year and I about kicked myself for not having stopped sooner. Good food.
M1956

Post by M1956 »

Thanks for the feedback.

I do recall the form was on standard bond paper ... had a place to acknowledge previous arrest and other items. In addition the person completing the renewal paperwork stated a list of medications (I recall Prozac and similar being named) to complete the part of the form listing the prescribing psychiatrist or physician and their contact information. The form I as I understood it would also be used to receive copies of mental or medical health records if completed.

What a great group to discover ... looking forward to hearing back from you. Regards
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

Sheriffs a great guy and we're a great group to discover so DO NOT fill out that form. We are obligated to make sure the law is followed by everyone. You owe it to other Ross county CHL holders to not uphold the sheriff overreaching like this.
M1956

Post by M1956 »

In a perfect world and if I had discovered this site in advance and had a clue that I would be provided with a form in addition to the renewal application ... then sure no prob ...

However in this case, I made my appointment and showed up as instructed with renewal and monies. Clerk starts with review and then pulls out form and has me review - complete if needed and sign. Nothing for me to complete; however I am required to sign in order to complete application for renewal (as I am being told at the time).

The more I read the more I am 'torqued' about the entire situation. On top of same I am of course waiting for my renewal to be processed.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Sounds like he's asking questions beyond those on the renewal application and, since it's not the standard form, it probably would form a special, unauthorized, record that would not be destroyed. This may take more than a visit.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Is anyone even sure the sheriff is aware of this? The reason I ask is I can recall many years ago a deputy in a sheriff's office where I used to live was doing some things differently that what and how he was supposed to be doing it (r/t paperwork but not CHL paperwork) The sheriff only became aware of it when someone inquired about it to him.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I shall be as gentle or firm as the evidence I uncover dictates.

It seems to be a standard practice for the CHL staff to 'do their own thing' in most of the counties I've contacted over the years.

The Sheriff simply manages by exception. If no one speaks up, nothing is done.

Imma gonna go speak up. :twisted:

:mrgreen: :wink: 8) :roll:
MyWifeSaidYes