Youngstown Covelli Centre

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ifarmwithdeere

Youngstown Covelli Centre

Post by Ifarmwithdeere »

Hey guys, it may have been asked before but I cannot find any recent posts, can you concealed carry in the covelli centre? I have tried calling and emailing them but no one will give me a straight answer. I'm not from around Youngstown and, like many of you, do not like going anywhere without my gun. Especially a bigger city. Thanks for all your input
Brian D.

Re: Youngstown Covelli Centre

Post by Brian D. »

Welcome! Wikipedia lists the city of Youngstown as owner. That makes it a government building. This means it is definitely off limits to concealed carry; regarding open carry the answer is a little cloudy to say the least.

In addition, most facilities of this kind now have portable (wands) or permanent metal detectors, X-ray machines, etc.

Fun footnote: Funding for the Covelli Center was secured through HUD, spearheaded by then-Congressman James A. Traficant, currently and perhaps permanently deceased. Makes me wonder if any bodies were hidden in the concrete beneath the place, but that's a topic for another time..
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

If you check their website you will find the following:
WHAT ITEMS YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO BRING INTO THE COVELLI CENTRE:

No laser pointers, air horns, or noise makers.
Weapons of any type, or other items deemed dangerous by security.
No large bags, backpacks, or sealed containers (including gifts for entertainers)
No bottles, cans, flasks, thermoses or coolers.
No outside food or beverages of any kind may be brought into Covelli Centre. Concession stands sell a wide variety of food, alcohol, and non-alcoholic beverages to accommodate your needs. Exceptions will be made for small children’s snacks in clear plastic baggies or unopened juice pouches. 1 per child. No juice boxes. Patrons requesting to bring in outside food or beverage for health conditions must contact sdunn@covellicentre.com prior to coming to the arena.
No video recorders, audio recorders or similar electronic devices, including iPads and tablets.
No professional cameras.
All non-permitted items must be returned to your vehicle. Covelli Centre will not assume responsibility for these items. Confiscated items will not be returned.
I couldn't find what non permitted items are supposedly confiscated versus them allowing you to return them to your vehicle.
Ifarmwithdeere

Post by Ifarmwithdeere »

Thanks guys.
docachna

Post by docachna »

M-Quigley wrote:...I couldn't find what non permitted items are supposedly confiscated versus them allowing you to return them to your vehicle.
If one were cynical, one would speculate that the determining factor for what is confiscated vs. what is permitted to "take a walk" is determined in large part by the collectability and value of the property at issue.

If one were cynical, that is. :evil:

It would be an interesting exercise if "security" INSISTED on confiscating an item, once the owner said they no longer desired to enter, and instead wanted to put it in their car. I can think of a few potential criminal charges implicated in that. I seem to vaguely recall hearing that security at Nationwide Arena in Columbus tried that little stunt 4 or 5 years ago, and paid dearly for the lapse in judgment.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
mreising

Post by mreising »

Ifarmwithdeere wrote:Hey guys, it may have been asked before but I cannot find any recent posts, can you concealed carry in the covelli centre? I have tried calling and emailing them but no one will give me a straight answer. I'm not from around Youngstown and, like many of you, do not like going anywhere without my gun. Especially a bigger city. Thanks for all your input
Welcome. One thing to consider: The general consensus around here is to NOT call a facility (business, gov't, etc.) and ask because you will most likely get a no answer at the least and potentially raise the issue such that a non-posted facility decides to post.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.