Notification in Michigan

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fabulouslife

Notification in Michigan

Post by fabulouslife »

In the 2-years I've had my license, I've been stopped one-time while driving. It was an Ohio State Highway Patrol officer out of Marion. I notified right away, he asked me where it was, I told him, he said "no problem, just leave it there" and he was very polite, professional and we did our business just as if it was any other kind of stop.

Here's my question . . . I drive weekly in Michigan between Columbus and Detroit and always carry in my vehicle. I'm aware obviously that Michigan recognizes Ohio CHL's for Ohio residents, but I've never been stopped in Michigan and had to notify. Hopefully I never will, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had to do this and if so, how it went?
Bubba404

Re: Notification in Michigan

Post by Bubba404 »

I was involved in an accident in Monroe Co. MI. When the deputy arrived, I notified. He never asked where my gun was or showed any concern at all. Exactly like it should be.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Michigan does require notification. MCL 28.425f states: " (3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle."
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

I was stopped by a Game Warden on the Pere Marquette River. I notified. He asked where it was, which was inside my waders. I had to reach inside my waders to get my fishing license but there was no concern on the officer's part.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.