Checked bag, flying type, questions

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CCIman

Checked bag, flying type, questions

Post by CCIman »

Flying Frontier to AZ, and back

1-Can you have the [gun inside the "hard sided, locked, container"} inside a (larger soft checked bag- locked or unlocked), or does the whole shebang need to be "hard sided, locked"?

2-Do gun parts need the same packaging - say a complete glock upper (without the receiver)?

3-Do the parts have to be declared?
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
walnut red

Re: Checked bag, flying type, questions

Post by walnut red »

When I fly the firearm is in a locked hard case which is packed inside an unlocked suitcase. Never had a problem. Regarding #2 ad #3 I think only the firearm part with the serial number is considered the firearm. While the upper is not a firearm your case is going through an x-ray. If it was me I'd treat a complete upper as a firearm because it may keep you suitcase from being searched.
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

walnut red wrote:When I fly the firearm is in a locked hard case which is packed inside an unlocked suitcase. Never had a problem. Regarding #2 ad #3 I think only the firearm part with the serial number is considered the firearm. While the upper is not a firearm your case is going through an x-ray. If it was me I'd treat a complete upper as a firearm because it may keep you suitcase from being searched.
Is the outer "suitcase" hard or soft (duffle type)? No problems, Or gate agents trying to get you to separate the 2 containers as 2 checked pieces?
painiac

Post by painiac »

There's a great side benefit to declaring a firearm: your bag gets a special tag code, and they treat it extra careful because the airline does not want to be responsible for losing track of a weapon in their care.
Some people (non-gun owners, even) will take advantage of this by always traveling with a cheap "starter" pistol, simply for the fact that it's classified as a weapon and has to be declared as such, which moves the entire bag into a higher classification of luggage.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

The gun, being in a hard, locked gun case in which only you have the key, can be in either a hard suitcase or a duffle as long as its checked baggage. I will lock the checked bag, be it hard or soft, with a TSA compliant lock to keep the honest people out (if there are any of those left...).

My suitcase is roughly in the form of a conventional one but is generally made of rip stop nylon... easily knifed open if one were to desire to do so.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

I've never had either the ticket agent or the TSA agent want to see the hard case in which the firearm is contained. I'm sure the x-ray gives them all the details that they need. the outer bag is a canvas sided roller bag. I don't bother with locks on it but I hold the zippers closed with distinctive, stout zip ties. That way I can tell at a glance if the bag has been opened. If I lock the bag and someone slashed the side to get the pistol case out I'd have stuff spread all over the airport.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

painiac wrote:There's a great side benefit to declaring a firearm: your bag gets a special tag code, and they treat it extra careful because the airline does not want to be responsible for losing track of a weapon in their care.
Some people (non-gun owners, even) will take advantage of this by always traveling with a cheap "starter" pistol, simply for the fact that it's classified as a weapon and has to be declared as such, which moves the entire bag into a higher classification of luggage.
I disagree. They won't touch the gun in the case, but they may steal a knife and tactical pen. Been there.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

My vote is a solid plastic or metal case inside a hard or soft outer case that contains my undies & such.

I put TSA locks on the outer case as preference to none, but that's largely to keep the thing from popping open by itself, or to make pilfering a little harder for some airport staff.

The inner case should be your lock, preferably with a key, and NON-TSA. That one is not supposed to be opened outside of your view. They used to want to see if the gun was in their, and loaded (not supposed to be!). Ammunition used to be transportable in a plastic or cardboard container also stored inside the outer case. Some airlines don't mind loaded magazines, even if in the same inner case as the gun, but it's best to check your airline's web pages.

The one bit of craziness I've run into (aside from a gal in Dallas who had no idea what form to use to "declare" the thing) is some ticket desk yutz who noted that the plastic box had two holes for a lock, so it had to have two locks.... Just something I heard. IMHO, it's nonsense for a single or double pistol case, but might almost make sense for a rifle. I think the guy who reported this said that he was able to buy a lock there.

With the events in Ft. Lauderdale Friday night, I'm wondering if this won't change. Some craziness like "don't carry any ammunition" added to "you can't buy any here either" :(....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Bubbajoe

Post by Bubbajoe »

I remember the first time I flew with my sidearm. The desk attendant had me remove it from the case and show clear at check in--with a bunch of people behind me in line. Talk about awkward. I got a lot of looks when I wandered off to security. Granted, this was 20+ years ago...
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

SMMAssociates wrote:With the events in Ft. Lauderdale Friday night, I'm wondering if this won't change. Some craziness like "don't carry any ammunition" added to "you can't buy any here either" :(....
I thought the same things when I first saw this thread. I wonder how bad it's going to get. As soon as the story came out, the whimpering, hand-wringing cupcakes on Facebook were saying, "OMG! You mean people can actually carry guns in their checked luggage?! Why isn't that banned?!"
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Qfac

Post by Qfac »

What works well for me is a metal gun case with a cable tether that I loop around and lock to the frame of my main bag. This allows me the ability to open it and show it is unloading if asked but keeps it locked to the larger bag. I generally have tape on the box and I attach the orange tag to the outsaide of the metal safe and repack it in my bag. To date I have never encountered any issues.

As for TSA locks on the outer bag, I have dumped those for zip ties. That way I know if someone was in my bag because they have to cut them off and the chances they would have extras laying around is very slim.

This is for casual travel with a handgun, for anything larger or multiply guns I use a solid aluminum travel case that locks up with 4 pad locks and is strong enough to be driven over by a truck.
It's just a bag charge, $25 vs. a few thousand dollars of firearms.....
NRA Endowment Life Member

"Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

CCIman wrote: 2-Do gun parts need the same packaging - say a complete glock upper (without the receiver)?

3-Do the parts have to be declared?
Do the "parts" need the same type container, or can they be wrapped in my clothes?
docachna

Post by docachna »

Flying with a firearm in checked baggage has evolved over the years. As some have said, used to be either TSA or customer service wanted to "verify" that the firearm was unloaded (which I'm sure caused no end of angst for anti-gun gate clerks !!). Last couple times I flew, never had to show anybody that it was unloaded.

I only flew with one (but you're not limited to just one). The plastic gun case I have has a hole for a padlock. I padlocked that, ran a wire cable through the hasp, and (as posted above) locked the cable to the suitcase frame. I personally use a TSA lock, but I like the suggestion of a zip-tie.

Like some, I also fear overreaction to Mr. Santiago's atrocities, but hopefully, DJT will not let anything stupid get put into effect. If he does, that's an early defeat for him, that's for durn sure.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Zip tie sounds like a good idea. But how do you get into your bag without a cutting devise?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Qfac

Post by Qfac »

Nail clippers in your carry on :lol:
NRA Endowment Life Member

"Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.