SB -199 Question

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Greenleaf4902

SB -199 Question

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

I have read the SB (199) and it reads that CC is jow permitted in a school safety zone.

(??????)

What part of that doesn't sound correct? I work at a public school, I would have heen informed.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: SB -199 Question

Post by Cruiser »

Greenleaf4902 wrote:I have read the SB (199) and it reads that CC is jow permitted in a school safety zone.

(??????)

What part of that doesn't sound correct? I work at a public school, I would have heen informed.
As long as your or your weapon remain in the vehicle!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

Not what it says. Was I reading an abridged version? If you must remain inside a vehicle, how is that a new law? I'm reading the law (SB199) on a webpage.
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

The point is supposed to be that one can enter a school safety zone/school property, park, disarm, exit the vehicle, lock the vehicle, then proceed with whatever business brought you there (no kid pickup/dropoff necessary).

At least that's how I understand it (and rejoice at the improvement!)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

The change is you can now have the handgun with you in the vehicle on school property for any reason and can exit the vehicle as long as you leave the handgun in the vehicle and lock it. Before, you could only have your handgun in the vehicle if you and the gun stayed in the vehicle, and you were in the process of picking up or dropping off a child.

Here's the part of the new law dealing with school zone carry that takes effect on or about March 20:
(4) This section does not apply to a person who conveys or attempts to convey a handgun into, or possesses a handgun in, a school safety zone if at the time of that conveyance, attempted conveyance, or possession of the handgun all of the following apply:

(a) The person is carrying a valid concealed handgun license or the person is an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States and is carrying a valid military identification card and documentation of successful completion of firearms training that meets or exceeds the training requirements described in division (G)(1) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

(b) The person leaves the handgun in a motor vehicle.

(c) The handgun does not leave the motor vehicle.

(d) If the person exits the motor vehicle, the person locks the motor vehicle.
This is what the old version of that section of the law said:
(4) This section does not apply to a person who conveys or attempts to convey a handgun into, or possesses a handgun in, a school safety zone if at the time of that conveyance, attempted conveyance, or possession of the handgun all of the following apply:

(a) The person is carrying a valid concealed handgun license.

(b) The person is the driver or passenger in a motor vehicle and is in the school safety zone while immediately in the process of picking up or dropping off a child.

(c) The person is not in violation of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Like JustaShooter mentioned, it takes effect about March 20th. Don't go back to school tomorrow with your piece.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

There was an occasion once where my wife had to pick up our great granddaughter from school early, but she had to go inside the school to get her. Since there was literally no legal parking across or next to the school, she had to leave her handgun at home. When the new law takes effect, she should be able to at least be armed to and from the 30 minute drive to the school. Does anybody know who it was originally in Columbus that thought the current law was a good idea?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

M-Quigley wrote:... Does anybody know who it was originally in Columbus that thought the current law was a good idea?
Teachers unions.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Greenleaf4902 wrote:... I work at a public school, I would have been informed.
Why would you have 'been informed', and who would do the informing? Serious question.

Also, what website were you reading that made you think you could CC on school grounds beyond locking your handgun in your vehicle?
MyWifeSaidYes
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:... Does anybody know who it was originally in Columbus that thought the current law was a good idea?
Teachers unions.
Don't blame us, our top leadership had been rather weak when it comes to the lawmakers and lobbying them for laws. When new laws would come out, the press release would tear into the laws and scream that the world was coming to an end. I wrote an email to the spokesperson and the president who knew me, and told them the benefits of the laws and how it would not adversely affect the schools. Their next press release said they were simply against it without any of the doom and gloom, I also believe they backed off their lobbying efforts afterward.

Remember, the original law wouldn't allow CHL holders to even go onto the school grounds for any reason.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Javelin Man wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Teachers unions.
Don't blame us, our top leadership had been rather weak when it comes to the lawmakers and lobbying them for laws. When new laws would come out, the press release would tear into the laws and scream that the world was coming to an end. I wrote an email to the spokesperson and the president who knew me, and told them the benefits of the laws and how it would not adversely affect the schools. Their next press release said they were simply against it without any of the doom and gloom, I also believe they backed off their lobbying efforts afterward.

Remember, the original law wouldn't allow CHL holders to even go onto the school grounds for any reason.
It wasn't meant to be a criticism of anyone on the pro gun side. As convoluted as the original laws were when licensed CCW was enacted, it was still much better than the prudent man defense. Common sense in the Ohio legislature for gun laws to get stupid laws corrected has always seemed to move at glacier like speed, but at least they're slowly moving in the right direction. (unlike other states)
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Teachers unions.
Well, that does make sense I guess. After all, a gun locked in a car with no one inside is much more dangerous than one locked in a car in the lot next year or across the street. (sarcasm)
xdlowrider

Post by xdlowrider »

So, do you think that this applies to employees of the school as well? Can a teacher (with CHL) have his or her handgun locked in their vehicle while they are at the school performing their professional duties?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

xdlowrider wrote:So, do you think that this applies to employees of the school as well? Can a teacher (with CHL) have his or her handgun locked in their vehicle while they are at the school performing their professional duties?
The way I read it, yes. There is no distinction made as to who may do so and who may not (other than the requirement to have a CHL).
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

JustaShooter wrote:
xdlowrider wrote:So, do you think that this applies to employees of the school as well? Can a teacher (with CHL) have his or her handgun locked in their vehicle while they are at the school performing their professional duties?
The way I read it, yes. There is no distinction made as to who may do so and who may not (other than the requirement to have a CHL).
BUT, what if an anti-gun school system doesn't want their employees carrying onto sch. property and leaving their firearms in their vehicals, and a teacher is found to have their gun in their car?

The teachers "are" employees of the school district, right?
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".