Under 18, carrying while working trap lines

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Under 18, carrying while working trap lines

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
tracker 6 wrote:I would contact the division of wildlife office and tell them my concerns.I'm sure they will give an answer.But ask for it in writing and signed by some one in authority.
The problem with that method is actually finding someone responsible for enforcing the law to actually know the law.

Seriously, this is an issue with all branches of law enforcement from all parts of the state...selective or incomplete knowledge.

If you visit this page the Ohio Department of Natural Resources web site: General Information

you will find this handy piece of knowledge under "Concealed Handgun License"...
A person possessing a valid concealed hangun [sic] license may carry their concealed handgun while hunting and trapping, but it may not be used to shoot, shoot at, or kill any wild animal. For more information, go to the Ohio Attorney General website.
So let me get this straight, if i'm out in the field on my place and all I happen to have w/ me is my carry piece, (XD mod II 9mm), I can't take that groundhog that just left his hole?

I've carried a 357 from time to time and it's one of the firearms I use to hunt groundhogs with too......kind of a fine line, ain't it?
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

So, you uncover for a second or two then draw.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

Don't forget that who ever provided him with the handgun could be charged under 2923.21, Improperly furnishing firearms to minor, unless he is with someone who would meet the conditions of 2923.21A(3)
(A) No person shall do any of the following:

(3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
tracker 6 wrote:I would contact the division of wildlife office and tell them my concerns.I'm sure they will give an answer.But ask for it in writing and signed by some one in authority.
The problem with that method is actually finding someone responsible for enforcing the law to actually know the law.

Seriously, this is an issue with all branches of law enforcement from all parts of the state...selective or incomplete knowledge.

If you visit this page the Ohio Department of Natural Resources web site: General Information

you will find this handy piece of knowledge under "Concealed Handgun License"...
A person possessing a valid concealed hangun [sic] license may carry their concealed handgun while hunting and trapping, but it may not be used to shoot, shoot at, or kill any wild animal. For more information, go to the Ohio Attorney General website.
So let me get this straight, if i'm out in the field on my place and all I happen to have w/ me is my carry piece, (XD mod II 9mm), I can't take that groundhog that just left his hole?

I've carried a 357 from time to time and it's one of the firearms I use to hunt groundhogs with too......kind of a fine line, ain't it?
Give the groundhog a name, then it's no longer wildlife, but a pet. That said, I've killed a number of groundhogs with carry guns; Keltec P11, Ruger LCP, Windicator .357, etc. I haven't called them anything except dead.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

WY_Not wrote:So, you uncover for a second or two then draw.
IMO this is where the law breaks down. It is very difficult to shoot anything but yourself with a concealed handgun. Before shooting a groundhog, the handgun would have to be unconcealed.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.