Ignore The Sign Movement?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Ignore The Sign Movement?

Post by JU-87 »

I am NOT advocating this. I am withholding my opinion. Just somthing to start a conversation. :)

Ignore The Sign? - Street Smarts
If you’re not clear, ITS supporters point out, correctly, that following instructions to disarm yourself in so-called “weapon-free zones” simply helps create and maintain soft targets that are, in actuality, Defenseless Victim Zones. Believers of ITS simply choose to ignore the signs, ordinances, or even laws that require you to jettison your guns, knives, chemical sprays, and man-portable nuclear devices.

Of course, ignoring “no weapons” signs places you in real legal danger.
https://www.swatmag.com/articles/view/ignore-the-sign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Related:

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=12347" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://ohioccw.org/200911024669/the-no-guns-insult.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Brian D.

Re: Ignore The Sign Movement?

Post by Brian D. »

In this forum and a couple of others I'm starting to see more folks state they feel more compelled to worry about their actual safety than the specifics of the law. Now of course in some states ignoring the signage isn't a criminal thing, just civil, unless you totally refuse to leave even after the police show up and weigh in.

I would like to see us take on the signage by doing several OPEN carry events into various local and county office buildings. It just might lead to the legalization of concealed carry in those places.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Brian D. wrote:I would like to see us take on the signage by doing several OPEN carry events into various local and county office buildings. It just might lead to the legalization of concealed carry in those places.
Now that'd be real interesting to witness. :mrgreen:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

I despise websites that use white text on a black background. :evil:

Having gotten that out of my system...I've heard similar sentiments from large numbers of people. I would agree with the author that this is a growing, albeit quiet, movement.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Brian D. wrote:In this forum and a couple of others I'm starting to see more folks state they feel more compelled to worry about their actual safety than the specifics of the law. Now of course in some states ignoring the signage isn't a criminal thing, just civil, unless you totally refuse to leave even after the police show up and weigh in.

I would like to see us take on the signage by doing several OPEN carry events into various local and county office buildings. It just might lead to the legalization of concealed carry in those places.
Brian, are you saying that you are interested in organizing such an event?

If so, I'm listening!
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:In this forum and a couple of others I'm starting to see more folks state they feel more compelled to worry about their actual safety than the specifics of the law. Now of course in some states ignoring the signage isn't a criminal thing, just civil, unless you totally refuse to leave even after the police show up and weigh in.

Brian, are you saying that you are interested in organizing such an event?

If so, I'm listening!
This needs approval and active participation from Top Brass, for me to play any role more involved than one-of-several participants.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Double3

Post by Double3 »

Guess that's why they call it concealed carry.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

During the first Gulf War, I carried a concealed M1911, spare magazines and a ballistic vest to work every day. There was no legal citizen concealed carry in Ohio at the time.

What there WAS, was an organizer for the Iraqi Baath Party working in the facility, and a series of bomb threats, one of which was ineptly responded to by management by concentrating all of the employees in a confined space where they could easily be shot.

I try to obey the law. I'm not willing to DIE to do so.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

deanimator wrote:During the first Gulf War, I carried a concealed M1911, spare magazines and a ballistic vest to work every day. There was no legal citizen concealed carry in Ohio at the time.

What there WAS, was an organizer for the Iraqi Baath Party working in the facility, and a series of bomb threats, one of which was ineptly responded to by management by concentrating all of the employees in a confined space where they could easily be shot.

I can't find an emoticon that means loud clapping, so this is what I think:

BRAVO!!
:) 8)
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

deanimator wrote:During the first Gulf War, I carried a concealed M1911, spare magazines and a ballistic vest to work every day. There was no legal citizen concealed carry in Ohio at the time.

And of course, one could argue that you were following the law, under the "prudent man" doctrine, no?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

JustaShooter wrote:And of course, one could argue that you were following the law, under the "prudent man" doctrine, no?
...as long as one was not Toby Hoover.

To the anti-gun cult, the ONLY "prudent" move is to kneel down so that one can be shot in the back of the head with the minimum of fuss.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Concealed = Concealed
I always say.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
robbo

Post by robbo »

What sign :roll: I dont see no stinking sign
evan price wrote:Concealed = Concealed
I always say.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

deanimator wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:And of course, one could argue that you were following the law, under the "prudent man" doctrine, no?
...as long as one was not Toby Hoover.

To the anti-gun cult, the ONLY "prudent" move is to kneel down so that one can be shot in the back of the head with the minimum of fuss.
If that were true at least Toby Hoover wouldn't be a hypocrite. Like most cults the leaders have privileges they deny to their sheep. I don't recall hearing one peep of condemnation out of him when Sen. Feinstein (who once carried in California) or a former Dayton city councilman was found carrying a semi auto handgun. His "prudent man" excuse was that he was a well known gun control advocate, and that he allegedly had death threats, so he needed to carry. Most anti gunners are hypocrites, with the attitude, "Guns for me and other special people, but not for thee." A friend of mine joked at the time, "So all we have to do to be able to carry to protect ourselves off duty is to come out in support of gun control, and then claim death threats from gun nuts?

Sadly though there are a few non hypocrites. I have a relative with almost that attitude. She'd rather die than have an icky gun available to defend herself or her family. :( She doesn't even want the police to carry, but she says that's a necessary evil for now, until America comes to it's senses and has laws like jolly old England. They have violent crime over there too of course, but since less of it is "gun crime" that makes being a victim much better. (sarcasm)

I too carried once under the "prudent man" affirmative defense. Even though I had documentation of the threat made against me in front of Law Enforcement by a known gang member, a statement from the number 2 guy in the Sheriffs Dept saying I could and should carry, there was little that stopped some cop somewhere from arresting me, going to jail, making bail, and making me spend my hard earned money to defend it in court. Sure it beats dying, but it's still wrong.

The one time I was discovered it was because of a car problem, and a deputy who wasn't aware of my situation pulled behind me. Despite me telling him all about it and who told me I should carry the gun, (his boss) he still had me in the back of the cruiser for a while, until he could confer with a supervisor. When he let me out of the car and gave me the gun back he looked almost angry, like it was the hardest thing in the world for him to do, although he didn't even know me or my situation. His supervisor wasn't a jerk, didn't seem to have a problem with it. He even actually helped me out with my car situation, while "Barney" stewed about it. What if this had happened in another jurisdiction however?
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

JU-87 wrote:

I can't find an emoticon that means loud clapping, so this is what I think:

BRAVO!!
:) 8)
There's one here: http://vagunforum.net/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=49
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.