Pepper Spray Possession On A College Campus

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CincyKid

Post by CincyKid »

I started this topic several years ago when I had pre and high school aged daughters....

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... it=+pepper

Now my daughters have aged a bit and are moving on from high school to colleges. One is going to Miami Oxford, the other.... is well... still deciding... but hopefully will go somewhere in Ohio next fall.

The oldest daughter at Miami in not anti-gun... but will never have a gun of her own. She has a fear of load noises... and guns (the noise) terrifies her. The youngest, soon to be 18, will probably own a gun someday and may even get a CHL ;-) But the big question.... is how to protect them while in college?

Many questions I had about the effectiveness of pepper spay, etc. were answered in the last post. However, I still do not know if pepper or OC spray is "legal" on a college campus. Also, both girls will likely follow some sort of medical path.... so is pepper spray legal in hospitals, clinics, etc.

I have warned the girls about staying in a group, never walking along at night, using shuttles, etc. But I still want their finger near a pepper spray button while out at night... They think I am paranoid.... but both have told me that the hold the spray in the hands more than they thought they ever would.

On thing though.... both girls are extremely afraid of being caught with pepper spray and what it might do to tarnish their "record"... and reflect on the chances to get in med school, etc.

Any advice or opinions are welcome.

Thanks.
CincyKid

Re: Pepper Spray Possition On A College Campus

Post by CincyKid »

Geez.... I wish I could spell. The Post Title should read:

Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Do stores sell miniature cans of wasp spray? Can't complain about that and it does about the same as pepper spray.

Has your daughter tried a gun with a suppressor? Just wondering if a gun with no (loud) noise would be acceptable.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Javelin Man wrote:Do stores sell miniature cans of wasp spray? Can't complain about that and it does about the same as pepper spray.
Jav, I say this with all due respect and cordiality my friend: Wasp spray is NOT a viable substitute for pepper spray. Please do some research with self defense trainers/schools, don't take my word for it sir.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

And just a heads up - here at Miami we've had 2 shootings this year, several break-ins, and tonight an armed robbery.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Brian D. wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:Do stores sell miniature cans of wasp spray? Can't complain about that and it does about the same as pepper spray.
Jav, I say this with all due respect and cordiality my friend: Wasp spray is NOT a viable substitute for pepper spray. Please do some research with self defense trainers/schools, don't take my word for it sir.
:oops: How's about WD40 and a lighter? 8)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

CincyKid wrote: Many questions I had about the effectiveness of pepper spay, etc. were answered in the last post. However, I still do not know if pepper or OC spray is "legal" on a college campus. Also, both girls will likely follow some sort of medical path.... so is pepper spray legal in hospitals, clinics, etc.

I have warned the girls about staying in a group, never walking along at night, using shuttles, etc. But I still want their finger near a pepper spray button while out at night... They think I am paranoid.... but both have told me that the hold the spray in the hands more than they thought they ever would.

On thing though.... both girls are extremely afraid of being caught with pepper spray and what it might do to tarnish their "record"... and reflect on the chances to get in med school, etc.

Any advice or opinions are welcome.

Thanks.
It was legal at the university where I used to work, but that wasn't Miami University, and I wouldn't just assume they all have the same rules. Regarding the bolded, what has the college or university said on the subject? Has anyone asked them?
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

My daughter graduated from BGSU in 2009 and then received her Masters from there in 2015. She had a lot of night classes and functions on campus during both of her tenures there. She lived off campus and had a gun at her apartment (as well as her CHL) from the time she was legally able to have one. When she went to campus at night, she had both pepper spray and an electronic stun device. There was nothing in the student manual prohibiting it and at least one of her professors knew she had those as the prof asked her to walk her to her car a couple of times because she had it.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

As an aside Miami is a fine choice for an education and likely self defense. If any of the major public Ohio universities (i.e. not Backwater Community College) is going to opt in to allow some form of concealed carry I'd bet a box of donuts it will be Miami. Probably not likely to happen and certainly not for the student population as a whole but if you said rank all the big ones from least likely to most likely I'd have OSU at the LEAST end and Miami at MOST. I would not be surprised if they quietly implement some kind of heavily restricted "may issue" system based on individual circumstances.

Years ago someone came here and reported that as a non-traditional student, that is married and living off campus, they inquired about how Miami has a no weapons policy but state law allows him to have it in his vehicle. The response was basically yeah, we know, state law probably controls, but we'd prefer to not know that you have a firearm in your vehicle so please don't tell us if you do, mm'kay? When I went there I found many of the true administrators to be rather conservative and demographically what you would expect for someone living in Butler County.

Meanwhile Ohio State would probably move to expel the fella for hate speech just for asking.

The wife and I went back for visit once and I stopped by the public safety building to get a visitor parking permit. In the mood to stir something up I told the gal at the window that I was also off duty from up north and would like to carry but didn't know if they wanted to take down my info. Without missing a beat she said oh no, just keep it concealed on your person or locked in your vehicle I'm sure you'll have no problems, glad to have you back!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Javelin Man wrote:How's about WD40 and a lighter? 8)
Squirt gun filled with Clorox?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
CincyKid

Post by CincyKid »

Has your daughter tried a gun with a suppressor? Just wondering if a gun with no (loud) noise would be acceptable.
It's just one of those things that she won't go anywhere near because she knows what noise it will make. Pretty much the same reason that you will never see her at a fireworks show.

As an aside.... I don't even know why we are having this discussion. Every college I visited with my daughters now proudly display their blue light systems, i.e. you push a button at one of these blue light stations and a campus LEL will be there within a minute or two (some say within seconds). With these things everywhere on campus... how can it be unsafe?

I will try to call Miami's safety dept. this afternoon and see if the have any rules about pepper spray.

Does anyone know the pepper spray rules regarding hospitals? As I said above, both my daughters want to go into health care and will spend a lot of their time in hospitals or clinics.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

CincyKid wrote:As an aside.... I don't even know why we are having this discussion. Every college I visited with my daughters now proudly display their blue light systems, i.e. you push a button at one of these blue light stations and a campus LEL will be there within a minute or two (some say within seconds). With these things everywhere on campus... how can it be unsafe?
Yeah the deluxe versions even have crime scene tape dispensers, and vending machines that dispense chalk for the corpse outline as well as those cute little sequentially numbered shell casing markers. Makes the aftermath a breeze!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Regarding those blue lights - when I went to UC, the ones in the parking garage I had to use were physically destroyed. Somone had popped the panel and ripped out the speaker and button.

Miami's sexual assault rate is insane. The worst part is the perpetrator is typically known to the victim, but there is NEVER a description that can be given (uh.....how can you know someone and not know what they look like?) I go here and get every damn notice they send out - PM me if you want more insight.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
CincyKid

Post by CincyKid »

Regarding those blue lights...
My fatherly advice.... (note, both daughters are trained runners) "If you pass a blue light as you are running from the bad guy... push the button if it is easy, but KEEP RUNNING.... the best thing you have going for you is your ability to outrun the dude... so the last thing you want to do is press a button and then stand around waiting for the police to come."
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

CincyKid wrote: Does anyone know the pepper spray rules regarding hospitals? As I said above, both my daughters want to go into health care and will spend a lot of their time in hospitals or clinics.
Every health care institution I ever worked for had rules that basically said employees were technically not allowed to have any "weapons" of any kind. (not specifically defined) Some said or anything that could be construed or used as a weapon. (someone once brought in a long mag light) I don't know of anyone who ever got in trouble merely for having a concealed pepper spray or a stun gun, even in one case where she had to use it (in the hospital parking lot against an ex) If you're open carrying it inside the hospital or long term care facility you are going to get counseled for it. You need to use common sense.