Pepper Spray Possession On A College Campus

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CincyKid

Re: Pepper Spray Possition On A College Campus

Post by CincyKid »

Yeah, that is pretty much what I expected.

My girls are very rule oriented and almost always refuse to "cheat the system".... (though for some reason the speed limit doesn't seem to fall into this category for them?? :roll:)

Normally I support them on the rule thing, but in the case of carrying pepper spray when they are technically not supposed to... my advice is keep it hidden and then beg forgiveness if anyone finds out they have it. I just can't imagine a school or hospital administrator wanting the bad press for disciplining/reprimanding a female for using pepper spray to stop an attack on herself. But, I guess you never know... :roll:
CincyKid

Post by CincyKid »

Also, are there any thoughts on effectiveness of spray vs. gel? Does anyone out there have experience.

The spray I bought my girls is over 4 years olds so I guess it's time to upgrade.

When my oldest went away to the college.... I gave her 5 cans. Her obvious question was why so many? My reply... one for your: back pack, drawer by your bed, console in your car.... and one for each of your two best friends. Daughter said giving them to her friends was kind of "weird". My reply... your friends may use them to help themselves... but it's also possible that your friends may be the ones that save your butt too.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

M-Quigley wrote:Every health care institution I ever worked for had rules that basically said employees were technically not allowed to have any "weapons" of any kind. (not specifically defined) Some said or anything that could be construed or used as a weapon. (someone once brought in a long mag light) I don't know of anyone who ever got in trouble merely for having a concealed pepper spray or a stun gun, even in one case where she had to use it (in the hospital parking lot against an ex) If you're open carrying it inside the hospital or long term care facility you are going to get counseled for it. You need to use common sense.
I've never worked for a health care institution but I have worked for several big name employers and when it comes to non-firearms there's definitely a bit of sexism in terms of how the rules are enforced. If a woman carries a small OC canister, kubaton and swiss army knife on her keychain nothing will happen if she leaves it sitting on her desk or even twirls it as she walks to her car. On the other hand if a dude carries a small pocket knife on his pocket he just might get talked to.

Thankfully the company I'm at now exempts reasonably sized personal self defense spray and reasonably sized folding pocket knives as long as they are used as intended and not as offensive weapons or to threaten people. I make sure my knife blade always has a bit of cardboard dust and a fleck or two of packing tape for authenticity.
CincyKid

Post by CincyKid »

I looked up Miami's safety dept. on the University's web site and the closest thing I could find was an email address to their campus police department. So, I sent an email asking if there are any laws, regulations or rules that would prevent my daughters from carry pepper spray for their personal protection on campus.

Within an hour, the Miami University Chief of Police called me. I am not sure if it is appropriate to publish his name here, but if you are interested his name is on their website.

The conversation with him was very relaxed and I would say that he is good guy. He said he preferred a call vs. an email because it is easier to explain things in person or on a phone.

In the conversation he said the following:

- Miami does have rules against students and faculty possessing weapons. Though he said that the definition of a weapon is very vague.... and is probably intentionally meant to be that way.
- To his knowledge pepper spray is not permitted in the dorms. He said a dorm RA would be the most likely person on campus to "say something" about pepper spray. His recommendation would be to not leave it out in the open on a counter, etc. and keep it concealed in a purse, pocket, etc.
- He indicated that if a girl thwarted an attack on herself by using a weapon of any kind... she would not be charged with a weapons violation. In the conversation, he specifically mentioned pepper spray, but left it open ended to include other weapons. I did not press him on specifics of other possible weapons (but was curious where he stood on CHL).
- To his knowledge, the only time someone has ever been changed with a weapons violation for pepper spray is when a kid got drunk and thought it would be fun to spray a bunch of his dorm mates.
- He warned against carrying pepper spray or weapons of any kind... unless you are practiced at using them. He said he has heard of several instances of pepper spray being taken away from the victim and used on the victim.
- He recommended some sort of retention on the pepper spray, i.e. a wrist band, etc. so it can't be easily taken or dropped.
- He said he sees joggers on campus carrying pepper spray almost daily and it is of no concern to him.
- He mentioned that Miami is an extremely safe campus. He said an assault or rape where an unknown assailant waits in the bushes and ambushes an unsuspecting victim is extremely rare.
- He said the assaults/rapes that we hear about on the news are generally by parties known to one another, alcohol involved... and generally occur when one of the two involved push farther than the other party is willing to go.

If I think of anything else he said, I'll pass it along.

Again, all in all seem like a good guy. :D
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

jeep45238 wrote:And just a heads up - here at Miami we've had 2 shootings this year, several break-ins, and tonight an armed robbery.
Every college campus location will have such issues - one's lucky if the campus proper does not, nowadays.

Think that's bad? Take a look at CWRU's "crime reports," which tends to be "off campus" incidents.

Think that's bad? :lol: Take a look at Johns Hopkins. :lol:

Finally, remember that how crimes are reported will affect the stats. Ever watch The Wire? Juking? Yeah, it's like that. When I was at Hopkins as an undergrad student, there were shootings - yeah, murders - that did not get reported as a part of campus crime stats because of technicalities. Why? Well, would you send your son/daughter there, knowing otherwise?

Don't show off the weapons. Not to anyone. Not even to a friend.

Keep the weapons out-of-sight, even in the dorms.

Awareness is the best defense; safety is an illusion.
Last edited by TSiWRX on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

djthomas wrote:Thankfully the company I'm at now exempts reasonably sized personal self defense spray and reasonably sized folding pocket knives as long as they are used as intended and not as offensive weapons or to threaten people. I make sure my knife blade always has a bit of cardboard dust and a fleck or two of packing tape for authenticity.
When I worked for the crooked IT contractor at the Clinic, working illegal unpaid overtime as late as 3:00am, I always carried a box cutter, either in my pocket or in the side pocket of my work bag. Since I opened dozens of monitor and PC boxes a night, nobody could claim I didn't need it for work, especially since those losers didn't even provide us with scotch tape, much less appropriate tools. There was many a night, walking on the street to the parking garages at 2:00am that I was glad to at least have a box cutter.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

After 9/11 I always made sure I had one or two well sharpened common lead pencils in my shirt pocket whenever I had to get on an airplane. All but invisible to most observers and quite useful in an attack. So I am told. I never had to deploy one.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I've carried a linoleum knife on occasion when nothing better was available. Talk about nasty. Those things would cut all the way to...and into the bone. Almost seems unsportsmanlike to use it on another human being...even a scumbag BG.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Last I looked the OSU student code of conduct banned possession of pepper spray. The staff policy prohibits deadly weapons but is silent on chemical sprays.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

WestonDon wrote:After 9/11 I always made sure I had one or two well sharpened common lead pencils in my shirt pocket whenever I had to get on an airplane. All but invisible to most observers and quite useful in an attack. So I am told. I never had to deploy one.

The official symbol of Paul-E-Palooza, which I embarrassingly have yet to be able to attend! :oops:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

CincyKid wrote:Yeah, that is pretty much what I expected.

My girls are very rule oriented and almost always refuse to "cheat the system".... (though for some reason the speed limit doesn't seem to fall into this category for them?? :roll:)

Normally I support them on the rule thing, but in the case of carrying pepper spray when they are technically not supposed to... my advice is keep it hidden and then beg forgiveness if anyone finds out they have it. I just can't imagine a school or hospital administrator wanting the bad press for disciplining/reprimanding a female for using pepper spray to stop an attack on herself. But, I guess you never know... :roll:
Well, at the university I worked at, and also at one of the hospitals I worked at, a female had to use pepper spray against someone and it wasn't a problem. (the pepper spray.) At the hospital they had employee rules against pretty much everything, but when and where a rule was enforced was selective. It was boilerplate in case someone misused something or did something obviously wrong or stupid.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

CincyKid wrote: - He mentioned that Miami is an extremely safe campus. He said an assault or rape where an unknown assailant waits in the bushes and ambushes an unsuspecting victim is extremely rare.
- He said the assaults/rapes that we hear about on the news are generally by parties known to one another, alcohol involved... and generally occur when one of the two involved push farther than the other party is willing to go.
That's pretty much the way it was at the university I worked at also. The whole time I was there I only recall one defensive use of pepper spray. All the complaints of sexual assault I heard about were mostly date rape, or alcohol or drugs were involved. Sometimes alcohol was involved, but might've been spiked.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

jeep45238 wrote:Regarding those blue lights - when I went to UC, the ones in the parking garage I had to use were physically destroyed. Somone had popped the panel and ripped out the speaker and button.

Miami's sexual assault rate is insane. The worst part is the perpetrator is typically known to the victim, but there is NEVER a description that can be given (uh.....how can you know someone and not know what they look like?) I go here and get every damn notice they send out - PM me if you want more insight.
I'd appreciate more insight - and thanks in advance.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Aaand - another just now.

Oxford Police reported a burglary in an off-campus residence about 10 a.m. in the 200 block of North Campus Avenue on Sunday, Dec. 18.

A resident of the house was still in town and heard someone come in the front door. Upon investigating, he discovered an unknown white male in the living room. The unknown male stole a backpack and travel bag and then fled the residence.

The suspect is described as 6’1” with a regular build. He has an eyebrow piercing. He also was driving a silver sedan (possibly a Hyundai) with front-end damage.

Miami University and Oxford police remind everyone to lock first-floor doors and windows when you are sleeping or away from your home. All roommates in a residence should have their own keys to the home.

Investigation is ongoing. If you have any information, please contact Oxford police at 513-524-5240. If you notice someone acting suspiciously, please call 911 immediately.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
1911's 4 life

Post by 1911's 4 life »

Fox O.C. is the best on the market right now. Some hospitals do have rules against it. As long as it is not advertised they should be good to go.