Pepper Spray Possession On A College Campus

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CousinCarl

Re: Pepper Spray Possition On A College Campus

Post by CousinCarl »

CincyKid wrote: Does anyone know the pepper spray rules regarding hospitals? As I said above, both my daughters want to go into health care and will spend a lot of their time in hospitals or clinics.
I would say the pepper/OC sprays would not be such a big deal to hospital security, even if you are not supposed to have it. JUST my opinion having worked in hospitals for the last 38 years. If you get caught with it and it is against the rules, apologize profusely and get rid of it. Explain to security that you are afraid for your safety. Really though, if it not allowed, that fact should be CLEARLY spelled out in the facility documentation.

One item they can assuredly have is a good flashlight. Get the brightest for the size they are willing to carry WITH them.

Let's all dispel the wasp spray myth. Just get a good self-defense spray.

One of my daughters went to grad school in NY. It was legal for her to bring SABRE Red into the state with her, but it could not be shipped to her.

And Canada - forget about it.
"Who is John Galt?"

"So this is how freedom dies --- with thunderous applause."
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

CousinCarl wrote:
CincyKid wrote: Does anyone know the pepper spray rules regarding hospitals? As I said above, both my daughters want to go into health care and will spend a lot of their time in hospitals or clinics.
I would say the pepper/OC sprays would not be such a big deal to hospital security, even if you are not supposed to have it. JUST my opinion having worked in hospitals for the last 38 years. If you get caught with it and it is against the rules, apologize profusely and get rid of it. Explain to security that you are afraid for your safety. Really though, if it not allowed, that fact should be CLEARLY spelled out in the facility documentation.

One item they can assuredly have is a good flashlight. Get the brightest for the size they are willing to carry WITH them.

Let's all dispel the wasp spray myth. Just get a good self-defense spray.

One of my daughters went to grad school in NY. It was legal for her to bring SABRE Red into the state with her, but it could not be shipped to her.

And Canada - forget about it.
If you're going with the flashlight, get one of the tactical ones with the sharp protrusions around the lens. It not only looks cool, but it can inflict a lot of damage if jammed into someone's eye.

Canada, unless it's changed, does allow bear spray to be brought in, but it has to be labeled as such.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
CousinCarl

Post by CousinCarl »

schmeig, I didn't know about the bear spray. When we drove from East Glacier NP up to Waterton Lakes, in Canada this fall, I only thought to ask about OC.
"Who is John Galt?"

"So this is how freedom dies --- with thunderous applause."
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

CousinCarl wrote:schmeig, I didn't know about the bear spray. When we drove from East Glacier NP up to Waterton Lakes, in Canada this fall, I only thought to ask about OC.
I haven't been up there for a number of years now, but I know in 2001 that bear spray was allowed, but not OC.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Big question is will they prosecute you if you use the bear spray on anything but bears?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

WY_Not wrote:Big question is will they prosecute you if you use the bear spray on anything but bears?
Probably, but maybe not. I recall a few years back where a bear was attacking a child and an American got a handgun out of his trunk that he was only cleared by Canadian customs to transport and he shot the bear. Canada decided not to do anything about that.
-- Mike

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

schmieg wrote: If you're going with the flashlight, get one of the tactical ones with the sharp protrusions around the lens. It not only looks cool, but it can inflict a lot of damage if jammed into someone's eye.
^ There's three additional considerations to the "strike bezels."

The first is the concern of blood spray. This is something that each of us will have to work out, in terms of what we may consider to be an acceptable compromise under such dire scenarios.

The second is a more practical one - the wear-and-tear that such an aggressive bezel may exert on our clothing or gear, particularly if truly everyday carried. I'm a nerdy flashaholic :P flashlight-collector, and I can attest to the fact that even well-rounded corners still will wear on one's clothing. I also EDC'ed an incandescent Surefire E2D Defender from the time they came out to around October of 2012. If it'll wear holes in jeans....... :P Similarly, lights incorporating some kind of striking bezel tend to also be longer and/or bigger. While there are additional benefits of a longer light (typically, this implies more or bigger batteries which then translates real-world to a brighter or longer-lasting light) or larger light (at the bezel, this would imply a larger and/or deeper reflector dish, which, even with LED lights, typically translate into longer throw with a tighter beam), either or both of these considerations will have implications on concealment and/or daily-carry comfort (weight/bulk).

Finally, those intimidating looking bezels or bezel additions are just that, and they'll be intimidating looking to the people whose job is to inspect/screen your tools or bags/purses.

Are strike bezels viable?

I think that they are - but In reality, my belief is that it's less about the strike-bezel than learning how to work with the light as an impact weapon or as a fist-load, which can even be utilized with a smaller light.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Now that students are back, it's resumed:

Details: A female student reported to the Oxford Police Department that she woke up in the early morning hours of Friday, Feb. 10, 2017, in a bed in an unknown residence, having no recollection of arriving there. The student was reportedly at an uptown establishment earlier and left with an unknown male.

If you have information about this incident, please contact the Oxford Police Department at (513)524-5240.

Details: A female student reported to the Miami University Police Department that she was sexually assaulted by a male student known to her in a room in McBride Hall on the Oxford campus. This incident is reported to have occurred in the early morning hours on Sunday, February 5, 2017. Miami University Police are investigating the report.

Source:
http://miamioh.edu/police/crime-alerts/ ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

It seems like weekend nights and early am are a higher risk time, particularly Sun am.
Details: A male student reported to the Miami University Police Department that he was sexually assaulted by a female subject known to him at an unidentified residence hall on the Oxford campus. This incident is reported to have occurred in the early morning hours on Sunday, September 11, 2016. No additional information is available at this time.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

CincyKid wrote:Geez.... I wish I could spell. The Post Title should read:

Pepper Spray Possession On A College Campus
Fixed it fer yas
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

A vast amount of it is alcohol related - by either one or both parties, and roofies being used on occasion. See 10Feb. Either way - point is these things are being addressed by a computer based mandatory alcohol training for new students, and blue lights around campus. There's no vested effort to change the party culture of the students in this town. Have fun, but some of these places and the number of people aren't proportional in the least.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
jeep45238

Re: Pepper Spray Possession On A College Campus

Post by jeep45238 »

Aaaand another, just saw this while i was working on homework. Happened last night.

Primary Campus Oxford
Oxford Police are investigating a shooting outside of a bar in the 0 block of W. High St at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday. Police believe a gun may have been fired by someone in a vehicle.

A Miami student received a minor shrapnel wound on her finger and was treated and released from the hospital. No other injuries were reported.

Oxford and Miami police advise students to be aware of their surroundings. If you notice someone acting suspiciously, please call 911 immediately.

If you have any information on the shooting, please contact Oxford police at 513-524-5240.

-Important distinction
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Location: The student believes the incident occurred somewhere on the Oxford campus.

Suspect:

No suspect information available.
Details:

McCullough Hyde Memorial Hospital staff notified Miami University Police on Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 3:50 a.m. of a sexual assault reported to them by a female student. Hospital staff said the female student related that she was sexually assaulted somewhere on the Oxford campus. According to hospital staff, the incident is likely to have occurred sometime on Sunday, February 12, 2017. No further information is available.

If you have information about this incident, please contact the Miami University Police Department at (513)529-2222

If anybody has doubts of what the rates are, compare the frequency to the number of students, and divide by half (male/female approximation).

-Important distinction
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

There are also incidents happening near UD in Dayton, Ohio

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/o ... KlQku76OJ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Police are looking for a naked man on the University of Dayton’s campus after he reportedly broke into four houses overnight.
Around 4:20 a.m., police responded to a duplex in the 400 block of College Park Avenue after a woman said she woke up to a naked man standing in her bedroom. She said the man fled on foot and she ran to her roommate’s bedroom.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/loc ... T6rNFGKBO/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Three UD female students reported break-ins across campus within the span of one hour Wednesday morning, telling police a nude suspect had entered their bedroom.

In an email obtained by this newsroom, UD police told students each of the break-ins appears to have occurred through unsecured windows and doors.

The incidents are reported to have occurred first at 3:15 a.m. on Woodland Avenue, then at 4 a.m. on Frericks Way, then again at 4:15 on College Park.

The female involved in the Frericks Way break-in told police the suspect attempted to restrain her as she left the room.

Police said in all three instances, the suspect was described as a white male in his mid 20's, approximately 5'10", medium build, with brown curly hair.

The university police are collecting evidence at the scenes and continue investigating.
This despite the fact that is was below freezing last night.