Just move back to Ohio

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

GrayRider

Just move back to Ohio

Post by GrayRider »

Hi, folks.

I've lived in Florida the last 5 1/2 years and just moved back and renewed my Ohio permit. Do you still have to notify? And, what else has changed since 2011. Thanks.
Congress, it's like the 3 Stooges only there's 535 of 'em..
techguy85

Re: Just move back to Ohio

Post by techguy85 »

Notification hasn't changed. Since 2011, some changes throughout but the majors were carry in class D establishments if they aren't posted and you don't drink anything (not even a sip!)
NICS check now in addition to BCI and FBI NCIC for residents of less than 5 years...
Restrictions on how you could carry in the car were relaxed.
Definition of loaded firearm was modified...
You should do a full read of the handbook (required for your renewal anyway).
Not sure if I missed anything else of particular interest...
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I think another big change since 2011 is car carry with a license no longer requires the handgun to be in a holster on your person in plain view (or did that change before 2011?).

But completely agree that you need to re-read the handbook carefully.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

JustaShooter wrote:I think another big change since 2011 is car carry with a license no longer requires the handgun to be in a holster on your person in plain view (or did that change before 2011?).

That was back in 2007.

One of the changes not mentioned was reciprocity - Ohio now honors any concealed handgun license from any state - which opened up a few more states that will now honor our license.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Stryker74 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:I think another big change since 2011 is car carry with a license no longer requires the handgun to be in a holster on your person in plain view (or did that change before 2011?).

That was back in 2007.

One of the changes not mentioned was reciprocity - Ohio now honors any concealed handgun license from any state - which opened up a few more states that will now honor our license.
Thanks for the correction, I didn't think it was that long ago...

Reciprocity is a great addition to the discussion - thanks to changes to Ohio law, an Ohio license is now recognized by 40 states. That means that any state that recognizes any license other than their own also recognizes an Ohio license. (Caveat: TX And WI only recognize licenses issued or renewed March 23 2015 or later.) That leaves the usual suspects - CA, CT, HI, IL, MA, MD, NY, NJ, OR, and RI (as well as DC of course) as the only states that do not honor an Ohio license.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JustaShooter wrote:
Stryker74 wrote:

That was back in 2007.

Thanks for the correction, I didn't think it was that long ago...

Reciprocity is a great addition to the discussion - thanks to changes to Ohio law, an Ohio license is now recognized by 40 states. That means that any state that recognizes any license other than their own also recognizes an Ohio license. (Caveat: TX And WI only recognize licenses issued or renewed March 23 2015 or later.) That leaves the usual suspects - CA, CT, HI, IL, MA, MD, NY, NJ, OR, and RI (as well as DC of course) as the only states that do not honor an Ohio license.
Ohio is now one of several states that offer the most out of state carry options. I think that Missouri offers as many and possibly Arizona. Since my license does not come up for renewal until 2018, I picked up an Arizona license to get the full list and that license only added Wisconsin and Texas to my options (actually, only Wisconsin since I already had a Florida license, but I've since let that lapse). I get to Texas every couple of years and Wisconsin now and then so those were important to me.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand