Goddard’s Law

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

hardwarz

Goddard’s Law

Post by hardwarz »

With Goddard’s Law in effect, how does that affect self defense?

I don't live in a good neighborhood in Akron. There have been dead dogs found, presumably by dog fighting. Once in a while, pit bulls get loose and run the neighborhood.

I've had my dog attacked by a neighbor's dog and at the time, considered drawing my weapon because my wife was in between them. If it weren't for the owner's kid being there trying to grab her dog, I don't know what I would have done.

With that being said, I didn't see a provision in Goddard's law that specifies self defense against an animal attack... Am I missing something?

Hardwarz
When trying to prove self defense to an LEO, the statement "I had him in the crosshairs of my scope" should never come out of your mouth.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Goddard’s Law

Post by WY_Not »

Self defense against a dog attack is already covered by other law. Unless this new one changes 955.28, "a dog that is chasing or approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, that attempts to bite or otherwise endanger, or that kills or injures a person" is still a target. 955.25 is fairly broad on when a dog becomes a target.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
hardwarz

Post by hardwarz »

OK. Thanks.
When trying to prove self defense to an LEO, the statement "I had him in the crosshairs of my scope" should never come out of your mouth.
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

I'd be in fear of my life if attacked by a large menacing dog, so isn't that the same as being in fear of your life when being attacked by a large menacing human?? :roll:
God made man, Colt made them equal
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

AzRanger wrote:I'd be in fear of my life if attacked by a large menacing dog, so isn't that the same as being in fear of your life when being attacked by a large menacing human?? :roll:
No. There is certain criteria that must be met in Ohio to use deadly force in self defense against a human. Against a dog, that approaches in a menacing fashion, not so much.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

hardwarz wrote:

I've had my dog attacked by a neighbor's dog and at the time, considered drawing my weapon because my wife was in between them. If it weren't for the owner's kid being there trying to grab her dog, I don't know what I would have done.

Hardwarz
Just remember, you cannot legally shoot a dog that is attacking your dog or cat in Ohio........unless it's a police dog and you are a police officer.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/955.28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

pirateguy191 wrote:
AzRanger wrote:I'd be in fear of my life if attacked by a large menacing dog, so isn't that the same as being in fear of your life when being attacked by a large menacing human?? :roll:
No. There is certain criteria that must be met in Ohio to use deadly force in self defense against a human. Against a dog, that approaches in a menacing fashion, not so much.

I disagree, if you fear for your life coming from an attacking human you have the right to defend yourself. No other "criteria" is needed!
God made man, Colt made them equal
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Actually there is other criteria. They are spelled out pretty clearly in the AG's handbook for concealed carry licensees. Most who read this are intimately familiar with them so I won't go into detail. It never hurts to refresh one's familiarity with that publication.

On another rather nitpicky point, it doesn't really matter if you are in fear for your life. It matters if a judge and/or jury thinks a reasonable person would be in fear for their life.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

AzRanger wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:

I disagree, if you fear for your life coming from an attacking human you have the right to defend yourself. No other "criteria" is needed!
You can disagree all you want, that doesn't mean you're correct.

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:
AzRanger wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:AzRanger wrote: "I'd be in fear of my life if attacked by a large menacing dog, so isn't that the same as being in fear of your life when being attacked by a large menacing human?? :roll:"

You can disagree all you want, that doesn't mean you're correct.
Exactly, pirateguy191. There are three elements that must be met:
http://www.columbuscriminaldefenseattor ... dly-force/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
in State v. Melchior, 56 Ohio St. 2d 15 (1978), the Ohio Supreme Court established the elements of self-defense in a case where the accused actually used deadly force. There, the Ohio Supreme Court held that the accused who used deadly force must show: (1) that he was not at fault in creating the situation giving rise to the affray; (2) that he had a bona fide belief that he was in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm, and that his only means of escape from such danger was the use of such force; and (3) he did not violate any duty to retreat to avoid the danger.
Also, the 2nd element has a bit more to it than simply believing your life is in danger, there must be reasonable grounds to do so:
In Marts v. State, 26 Ohio St. 162 (1875), for example, the Ohio Supreme Court held that the use of deadly force is justifiable when a person has a honest belief, and reasonable grounds to believe, even if mistaken, that he is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm, and that his only means of escape will be by taking the life of his assailant.
And of course, since Ohio is the one remaining state where self defense is an affirmative defense, *you* must prove you met the elements required.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

JustaShooter wrote:And of course, since Ohio is the one remaining state where self defense is an affirmative defense, *you* must prove you met the elements required.
And that would the one thing I wish we could change about Ohio, more than anything else, including duty to notify. The other 49 are better in this regard.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

pk47 wrote: And that would the one thing I wish we could change about Ohio, more than anything else, including duty to notify. The other 49 are better in this regard.
Have you called your state Representative and Senator about this? Seriously.

When you talk to them (or, more likely, their aides), say something like:
Forty-nine states require a prosecutor to disprove a claim of self-defense, beyond a reasonable doubt. Ohio, however, still requires the defendant to prove self-defense by a preponderance of the evidence.

Why are we the only state that doesn't believe in self-defense?
MyWifeSaidYes
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

pirateguy191 wrote:Just remember, you cannot legally shoot a dog that is attacking your dog or cat in Ohio........unless it's a police dog and you are a police officer.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/955.28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The law doesn't say that you cannot shoot a dog attacking yours. It says you're allowed to kill one attacking one of your animals that is not a dog or cat. It doesn't say you can't, just that you aren't covered by that law if you do.

Semantics I know, but not long ago a man was cleared by a judge after shooting a dog attacking his own dog. Based on the facts of the incident the judge decided he was justified in protecting his property (dog) from destruction by someone else's property (dog).
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

WestonDon wrote:Actually there is other criteria. They are spelled out pretty clearly in the AG's handbook for concealed carry licensees. Most who read this are intimately familiar with them so I won't go into detail. It never hurts to refresh one's familiarity with that publication.

On another rather nitpicky point, it doesn't really matter if you are in fear for your life. It matters if a judge and/or jury thinks a reasonable person would be in fear for their life.
And likewise, in this scenario, the question for a judge or jury will be: "Was he in genuine fear of injury, or was he an angry guy who didn't like the dog?"
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Werz wrote:
WestonDon wrote:Actually there is other criteria. They are spelled out pretty clearly in the AG's handbook for concealed carry licensees. Most who read this are intimately familiar with them so I won't go into detail. It never hurts to refresh one's familiarity with that publication.

And likewise, in this scenario, the question for a judge or jury will be: "Was he in genuine fear of injury, or was he an angry guy who didn't like the dog?"
Think I will take a bit before shooting, a bit mark proves self defense. :shock: :arrow: :?
Black Rifles Matter