i tell my kids if someone has a gun - do not comply

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jinxer

i tell my kids if someone has a gun - do not comply

Post by jinxer »

whats got me on this topic is the california female jogger that was abducted.

ive posted before on here about how i am a runner, and always CC while running. even if im shirtless, you will not notice the small 9mm firearm i am carrying underneath my shorts. in addition to 2 extra mags.

i have ran as fast as a 5:30 mile and as far as 15 miles with my pistol. i have logged probably 700 run/gun miles this way. i always tell all running partners that i am carrying, and i let them know what side of me i prefer them to be on. no one is afraid to run with me when i am carrying.

back to the california abduction: do not know of the exact circumstances of how they 'got her', but one thing i have reinforced into my kids (daughter 6 and son 4) is that if they ever encounter someone who threatens them with a gun and tells them to 'get in the car'....to not comply. run away. zig zag.

i explain to them that the only reason they want you to get into that car is so they can torture them first and then take them to a better, quieter place to shoot them.

i was surprised to hear my kids say the local cops didnt teach them to not comply, but rather make a lot of noise. there was no mention of 'not getting in the car'. instead there was more mention of 'dont go up to the stranger instead to begin with'.

that all makes sense, but there is the doomsday situation where all else has failed and they now hav a gun in their face, being told what to do....

serious thoughts for a serious world...
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: i tell my kids if someone has a gun - do not comply

Post by Cruiser »

And scream while running!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
someguy

Post by someguy »

This is exactly why I'm watching my children in a Krav Maga class right now. Sometimes it takes more than stranger danger discussions to keep them safe
boyscout

Post by boyscout »

In "Refuse to be a Victim" we teach not to allow someone to control your movements. If they tell you to go into a back room or get in a car, fight with whatever you can, because most likely the next thing is an execution. Don't make it easy for them.
Boy Scout Leader
NRA Instructor - Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Muzzleloader, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside of the Home, Refuse to be a Victim
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Training Counselor
101st Airborne - Viet Nam 1968
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

[quote="jinxer"...I was surprised to hear my kids say the local cops didnt teach them to not comply, but rather make a lot of noise. there was no mention of 'not getting in the car'.

serious thoughts for a serious world...[/quote]

Well done. You are a better trainer than that cop! :)
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
sparky43040

Post by sparky43040 »

I agree Fight like a bear in a leg hold trap!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

boyscout wrote:In "Refuse to be a Victim" we teach not to allow someone to control your movements. If they tell you to go into a back room or get in a car, fight with whatever you can, because most likely the next thing is an execution. Don't make it easy for them.
Sadly, this mindset of denial-of-the-ugly-truth is also present in too many adults. There's a saying which goes like "If I disappear suddenly, try to find a pile of empty cases, and maybe a body or two, as the spot to begin trying to find out what happened to me." Casual acquaintances have gone bug eyed when they heard it expressed that way.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jinxer

Post by jinxer »

Brian D. wrote:
boyscout wrote:In "Refuse to be a Victim" we teach not to allow someone to control your movements. If they tell you to go into a back room or get in a car, fight with whatever you can, because most likely the next thing is an execution. Don't make it easy for them.
Sadly, this mindset of denial-of-the-ugly-truth is also present in too many adults. There's a saying which goes like "If I disappear suddenly, try to find a pile of empty cases, and maybe a body or two, as the spot to begin trying to find out what happened to me." Casual acquaintances have gone bug eyed when they heard it expressed that way.

thank you. there is no 'shying away from it' or 'sugarcoAting' what might happen or what to do.

you end up sexually tortured, then dead . if you (or your loved ones) comply.

id rather end up just dead (and not sexually tortured first)
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

The more I think about it, the more I agree with most of what the OP has said.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

As I like to put it: In a worst case scenario - All bets are off.. I won't go silently into the night, back room, basement, shower, oven, or.. whatever. I want all my loved ones to do the same.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
painiac

Post by painiac »

Good advice.

The thing to remember is, if the bad guy only wanted to kill you they'd have popped you on the spot without saying anything. The fact that they're threatening you indicates that they would rather have you comply versus attracting a lot of attention by shooting you in a public place. In a situation where you are being ordered into a vehicle at gunpoint, it's much more likely you are a target of opportunity rather than being personally targeted for abduction/rape/torture/murder. For these reasons, running away is very likely to succeed. A guy who hopes he can quietly order you into his vehicle is probably going to make himself scarce instead of risking witnesses with either a very loud and public foot chase or by shooting you on the principle that you disobeyed his command.

This does not have not a high likelihood of happening in the civilized world, though. Most murders and most abductions are committed by people with whom the victim is acquainted or romantically involved; a very large majority are by obsessive and abusive boyfriends/husbands. A hefty portion of the rest of murders are gang members killing other gang members. Random murder for the sake of random murder is vanishingly rare. In other words, the world is a lot safer than most people think. It's a tiny minority of cases where a murderer is truly a stranger to the victim, and in such cases the bad guy usually wants something else (likely money and/or rape).
Bubbajoe

Post by Bubbajoe »

A family friend who is a LEO is always saying, "Never let them take you to the second crime scene."