Chiropractic Visit

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Greenleaf4902

Chiropractic Visit

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

Upon visiting the chiropractor where you may legally carry a concealed firearm, would you recommend leaving said weapon in vehicle or carry it indoors? Once inside what the heck do you do with it during the adjustment? The mentality seems to be "It isn't anyone business so tell them it is a colonoscopy bag" how is that supposed to work here? Do you remove it while Dr. is present? I see this not working out so well. I doubt I would draw my weapon with Dr present. I have read that the consensus here, is to never draw your weapon unless you are going to use it. I don't take that seriously cuz I do when I remove it to place inside of the vehicle. I remove it when entering the gun store (very important at the Fin Feather Fur Outfitter in Ashland) and I draw it for a number of other circumstances I'm sure.......

So say we substitute a massage therapist for the chiropractor. Or a visit to the MD for a check-up etc. Somewhere, anywhere, a person is going to be looking at you very closely and/or TOUCHING you.

I do read this forum and a number of folks respond to thread topics and state they are never w/o their firearm, so how does this play out at a number of Dr offices and massage therapist.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Chiropractic Visit

Post by JustaShooter »

As to the main question, if I knew I'd be in a situation I couldn't discretely disarm and conceal the firearm and holster and was going to be touched in a way likely to discover the firearm, and I didn't know the person on a level that woudl allow me to tell them about the gun, I'd leave it in the car.

As to this:
Greenleaf4902 wrote: I remove it when entering the gun store (very important at the Fin Feather Fur Outfitter in Ashland)
I'm curious why? FFF in North Canton has a sign that allows holstered carry, openly and concealed, as long as you don't remove it while in the store. I thought that sign and policy was in effect at all of their stores...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Greenleaf4902 wrote:I have read that the consensus here, is to never draw your weapon unless you are going to use it. I don't take that seriously cuz I do when I remove it to place inside of the vehicle. I remove it when entering the gun store (very important at the Fin Feather Fur Outfitter in Ashland) and I draw it for a number of other circumstances I'm sure.......
I think the consensus is that there is a difference between drawing your handgun, and removing it from the holster. One is done in response to a (presumably) threatening situation, the other is done when administratively handling a firearm - say, for storage or for the other situations you mention.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

I think that the Ashland FFF asks that your handgun remain concealed. The exception is if you intend to show it at the counter (trade in, question, whatever), then they want it in a case, checked at the door. At least that is the way it used to be. It's a big sign on the door that requires pause to read all of it.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'll address the chiropractor visits. On those occasions I leave behind the normal belt carry rig and make do with something smaller toted in a front pocket rig. S&W or Ruger LCR five shot revolver, or the Glock model 43 all work well for that.

Haven't been inside an MRI machine to date, thank goodness, but that would be one medical visit that would find me devoid of anything ferrous on my person!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

I have a seriously bad back. And delt with cancer already on a very personal basis so all kinds of Dr. Visits for me.

I spoke to the source (local chiropractic Dr. ) he informed me he is very much pro gun and bring it in. To inform him I wish to remove it and do so.

Yes the sign on the local gun store says to have chamber open and ready for inspection. It says alot so I'd have to read it all on purpose aka consciously make a point To do so. Not all gun stores share same policy. So I remove it. One in particular said no ammo. Gun; yes. No ammo , so I guess unloaded and no ammo in pocket.

Anybody remember Cherry Corners?
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Although I'm not normally a fan of off body carry in general, I never carry a handgun on body when I am going to go into the Dr's office or chiropractor. There are a few ways to carry a gun off body inconspicuously. The few times I've ever had an MRI I don't have a gun with me at all. Doesn't mean there isn't someone waiting for me somewhere that is armed.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Doctor's offices and hospitals are the only CPZ's I voluntarily visit while unarmed.

Both my dentist and optometrist are okay with my open carry.

Except when they have Buckets O' Bullets in stock, I have no regrets about no longer visiting the FFF in Ashland.
MyWifeSaidYes
someguy

Post by someguy »

Might be inclined to bust out the fannypack. Put keys,wallet,phone and tiny revolver like one of my lcrs or even my naa super tiny revolver (in a good holster of course) all together. Wear sweatpants without pockets as my reason. I get to look super fashionable at the same time
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

someguy wrote:Might be inclined to bust out the fannypack. Put keys,wallet,phone and tiny revolver like one of my lcrs or even my naa super tiny revolver (in a good holster of course) all together. Wear sweatpants without pockets as my reason. I get to look super fashionable at the same time
Well........that would do it !
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Most gun stores have a posted policy to bring your gun in empty, ready for inspection, EXCEPT if you are concealed carrying and intend it to remain so.

After a few Joe-Bobs pulling out a loaded heater to "try a holster" or "look at mine" or "what would you give me?", the dumb**s patrol required such posting to keep from ventilating a customer or employee.

Joe-Bob haunts the gun show too, coming in with a loaded gun, expecting the front door guys to empty it. Or, Joe-Bob Jr likes to pick up guns at the show and put that booger hook right on the bang switch while aiming level with their eyes (and at everyone else).

Joe-Bob makes life difficult for gun-toting folks.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
robbo

Post by robbo »

Mr. Glock wrote:Most gun stores have a posted policy to bring your gun in empty, ready for inspection, EXCEPT if you are concealed carrying and intend it to remain so.

After a few Joe-Bobs pulling out a loaded heater to "try a holster" or "look at mine" or "what would you give me?", the dumb**s patrol required such posting to keep from ventilating a customer or employee.

Joe-Bob haunts the gun show too, coming in with a loaded gun, expecting the front door guys to empty it. Or, Joe-Bob Jr likes to pick up guns at the show and put that booger hook right on the bang switch while aiming level with their eyes (and at everyone else).

Joe-Bob makes life difficult for gun-toting folks.
AGREED - DON'T be 'Joe-Bob'
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

There are not many things as "exciting" as having someone bring a firearm in for trade, and a round hits the glass counter during the inspection.
Many irate people at that point.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Brian D. wrote:I'll address the chiropractor visits. On those occasions I leave behind the normal belt carry rig and make do with something smaller toted in a front pocket rig. S&W or Ruger LCR five shot revolver, or the Glock model 43 all work well for that.

Haven't been inside an MRI machine to date, thank goodness, but that would be one medical visit that would find me devoid of anything ferrous on my person!
This is what I do also, (if the place is NOT posted), and I might have to undress.

My small and light S&W 380 Bodyguard comes in handy in cases like this, as I carry it in a small pocket holster that I can also stick inside a coat pocket to.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

I'm guilty....

Somewhen in 2005, I had some X-Rays at a local "walk in" sort of facility. (High quality place BTW.) I was ushered into a small changing area and discovered I could have locked my gun in a locker instead of leaving it in the car. Just had a feeling :D, and the lockers were new since my last visit.

No problem if you don't count the chalk-like stuff I had to drink....

Following week, I had to go in for a CT-Scan. Not a new experience, but I assumed that I could stow my pistol in the locker. Gal calls me into another room, and tells me to lie down on the table and, with a sheet overtop of me, to take down my pants. I managed to tuck my gun under my right knee. Wasn't easy getting my pants back up, but it worked.

I happened to drive by about a week later and found a large gunbuster on the front door....

Meantime, I've been going to the same doctor for about 25 years at the time. (He's since retired. Obamacare forced him into a group practice that he didn't like.) I've always carried in there - no sign - and every time he found the gun, he'd ask me what it was for.... EVERY time.... He's from India, and while not too much of an anti, he's sort of educated in the British manner.... The new guy hasn't found the gun yet. Film at 11 :D....

My rule: If I can carry, I will. Otherwise, if it's a Felony (the wife doesn't appreciate it with respect to our Synagogue), I stay out. Facilities that I must patronize, and otherwise non-felony and not "hardened", I generally carry anyway.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם