New to CC . How Do You Carry, When.........?????

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Greenleaf4902

New to CC . How Do You Carry, When.........?????

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

New licence to CC. I cannot at either of my two jobs. Not at church. So on the RARE case I could legally do so what would I have to do for a typical road trip ?

If I carry my pistol with me across three counties to visit, say a hockey game in Columbus. I have no idea if I can do so in the arena. Would you look up CC locations on line? What if it's not allowed? Lock it in the car ? In a safe? Take the firing pin out?????

What if I stop at a restaurant? Say Bob Evans. What if there is a" no carry sign on door? Go back to car and lock it up or call ahead and ask? What if I cannot call ahead? Say the wife and I want to stop for a movie during a road trip. And I didn't call ahead. Or should I have? So if I can't carry in the movie theater do I go back to the car? Lock up the gun somehow?

This all seen quite overwhelming and very troublesome to CC.

I do not picture myself calling ahead to all my intended stops to get the low-down on individual locations. One. Maybe two . I'm trying to be real here.

By the way. There is a theater I have been to with a metal detector !
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: New to CC . How Do You Carry, When.........?????

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, slow down and take a deep breath.

Third, you will find that there are far more "No Guns" in northeastern Ohio than in other parts of the state. (Consider moving? ;) )

Fourth, a lockable safe that can be placed under your car seat and secured around a seat post with a steel cable will come in handy for you.

Fifth, we may not be able to lock our guns in our cars on K-12 parking lots, and we probably won't see that law change during the current session of our General Assembly, but the next session (2017-18) may be a different story.

Sixth, can you tell us why you decided you wanted/needed your CHL (Concealed Handgun License)?
MyWifeSaidYes
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

The school district is discussing CC as some schools do permit this. I don't understand how a group of school board members can override state law but obviously, they can and do.

Church I attend is implementing said CC

Other family members have and do. So they suggested I do as well because I am quite familiar with guns and passed all the FBI BCI and other state and federal agencies tests to become a school employee such as Driving Abstract, Drugs and Alcohol consumption testing.

Very confusing to understand all the laws as well as CCW licencee suggestions as it seems ther are too many different opinions on the subject such as OSW/ISW carry, to print or not, carry chambered, don't carry chambered and ignore "no carry " signs, obey the signs, some carry at church. Others obey law and do not. What to do with a firearm inside a vehicle when you can and cannot carry.

Heck, my CCW instructor and the written law do not agree; He clearly stated you MUST have the handgun on YOUR PERSON, ehen inside vehicle. The CCW cheet sheet given me when obtaining my licence clearly reads you can carry said handgun anywhere and any way you like as well as magazines.

If the written law and a CCW instructor cannot agree, how is a newly licenced carrier supposed to know what to do?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Greenleaf4902 wrote:
Very confusing to understand all the laws as well as CCW licencee suggestions as it seems ther are too many different opinions on the subject such as OSW/ISW carry, to print or not, carry chambered, don't carry chambered and ignore "no carry " signs, obey the signs, some carry at church. Others obey law and do not. What to do with a firearm inside a vehicle when you can and cannot carry.

Heck, my CCW instructor and the written law do not agree; He clearly stated you MUST have the handgun on YOUR PERSON, ehen inside vehicle. The CCW cheet sheet given me when obtaining my licence clearly reads you can carry said handgun anywhere and any way you like as well as magazines.

If the written law and a CCW instructor cannot agree, how is a newly licenced carrier supposed to know what to do?
To answer that last question first: Do a whole bunch of reading on this site, we have HUNDREDS of informative threads that address all your stated concerns.

Welcome, clean your reading glasses and get to studying, Teach!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

What if I stop at a restaurant? Say Bob Evans. What if there is a" no carry sign on door? Go back to car and lock it up or call ahead and ask? What if I cannot call ahead?
Oh, and NEVER call ahead to ask!!!!
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

Yes. Absolutely, Yes !
Read. Read. Study. Read !
I am a moderator on a few sites. I have little regard and patience for folks who will NOT do their homework. You cannot expect the experience of others to jump into your lap. You must invest.
If one demonstrates an interest to lern, others are apt to lend themselves.
Thank you for your time.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Greenleaf4902 wrote:

Your instructor is a dolt. Bottom line is he/she is 100% wrong and should not be teaching if he/she doesn't know the law.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

DO you have family ? IF so, that right there is reason to CC....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

carmen fovozzo wrote:DO you have family ? IF so, that right there is reason to CC....
"Because I can" is all the reason I need. :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Javelin Man wrote:
What if I stop at a restaurant? Say Bob Evans. What if there is a" no carry sign on door? Go back to car and lock it up or call ahead and ask? What if I cannot call ahead?
Oh, and NEVER call ahead to ask!!!!
It's so right it needs repeating. NEVER CALL AHEAD TO ASK!!!

Also wanted to second the suggestion about getting a small car size safe with some way to secure it to the car. Websites can be notoriously inaccurate. Just because you don't see something on a website doesn't mean their won't be a gunbuster sign on the door, and sometimes vice versa, depending on how often the website is updated. You should be prepared either way. There is a list on this site of places that prohibit CCW, btw. I also have seen more gunbuster signs in the NE than in the SW. Heck, in SW Ohio some places even have a green sign welcoming and encouraging legal CCW. :)
robbo

Post by robbo »

The only signs I've seen posted for NO GUNS are schools & court/state dept. buildings. I've NEVER seen NO GUNS signs on restaurants/malls/bars :roll:
Most active shootings occur in places with signs stating NO GUNS ALLOWED. I've already made the decision to defend myself in these places.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Greenleaf4902 wrote:The school district is discussing CC as some schools do permit this. I don't understand how a group of school board members can override state law but obviously, they can and do.
Actually, state law says that you can't carry on school property UNLESS the school board allows it...so they're not doing anything they aren't allowed to do already. And it sounds like they are moving in the right direction. :)
Greenleaf4902 wrote:Church I attend is implementing said CC
Same deal. No carry UNLESS the church allows it. You may find that the church will pick and choose the individuals they may eventually allow. If you wind up being one of those people, get your permission in writing.
Greenleaf4902 wrote:Other family members have and do. So they suggested I do as well because I am quite familiar with guns and passed all the FBI BCI and other state and federal agencies tests to become a school employee such as Driving Abstract, Drugs and Alcohol consumption testing.
I like your family already. :P
Greenleaf4902 wrote:Very confusing to understand all the laws as well as CCW licencee suggestions as it seems ther are too many different opinions on the subject such as OSW/ISW carry, to print or not, carry chambered, don't carry chambered and ignore "no carry " signs, obey the signs, some carry at church. Others obey law and do not. What to do with a firearm inside a vehicle when you can and cannot carry.
Your choices are many, indeed. The opinions of others may have merit, but it IS ultimately up to you to decide what is best for you AND your situation.

Choosing a gun and holster are the most personal of these choices.

Obeying the law is the most obvious. Breaking a law is a crime and criminals aren't supposed to have guns. If you aren't allowed to carry somewhere but really think you should...your choice is to not go there or carry and risk getting caught. Other than my choice of hospital and a couple doctors offices, I do not custom any business with a "No Guns" sign. (We call those CPZ signs...Criminal Protection Zones)

If you carry a semi-auto pistol, carry with a round chambered. If you aren't comfortable doing so, get additional training to build your confidence or change to a revolver. There are entirely TOO many possible situations that could occur that would prevent you from chambering a round when your REALLY need the gun to go BANG. :shock:
Greenleaf4902 wrote:Heck, my CCW instructor and the written law do not agree; He clearly stated you MUST have the handgun on YOUR PERSON, ehen inside vehicle. The CCW cheet sheet given me when obtaining my licence clearly reads you can carry said handgun anywhere and any way you like as well as magazines.
His information is out of date. On-person carry USED to be required...but not for a long time now. There is NO 'required' method of carry for a CHL holder in a car. The only precaution you should take is to keep the gun under YOUR control when there are others in the vehicle that do not have a CHL.
Greenleaf4902 wrote:If the written law and a CCW instructor cannot agree, how is a newly licenced carrier supposed to know what to do?
That's partly our fault. Groups like OFCC keep advocating for better gun laws (meaning less restrictive) and we keep succeeding in getting them changed !! :mrgreen: That makes it hard for folks that don't want to learn the new laws to keep up with all the changes.

We can help:

The first step is to find ohioccw.org and the forum pages at ohioccwforums.org.

The next step is to ask every question you want/need answered. :wink:

If you have a question regarding a law, you will find the folks here will link you to a citation of the actual law ( usually at http:\\codes.ohio.gov ) or to the court case that has modified such a law.

If you find OFCC to be helpful, useful, or in any way beneficial...there is a third step...

Consider joining as a member.

We are completely a volunteer organization; our directors, moderators and coordinators all volunteer their time.

But not our lawyers. Or our suppliers. Donations and memberships pay for every envelope and stamp, our web hosting fees, and our pursuit of court cases where cities and other entities have decided to violate state laws and illegally restrict the freedoms of Ohio citizens.

But...no pressure.

:P
MyWifeSaidYes
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

Thank you very much !
I used to take long hikes along secluded portions of the canal (still do time to time) and felt uncomfortable w/o an ACP (pistol) and at same time felt uncomfortable carrying illegally. Now I have the permit!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Greenleaf4902 wrote:Thank you very much !
I used to take long hikes along secluded portions of the canal (still do time to time) and felt uncomfortable w/o an ACP (pistol) and at same time felt uncomfortable carrying illegally. Now I have the permit!
Prior to establishing our concealed carry laws, you would have been able to carry under the "prudent person" defense.

Prosecutor: "Why did you have a gun?"

Defendant: "Because in that area, you'd be an idiot not to have one."

Judge: "Case dismissed!"
MyWifeSaidYes
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Greenleaf4902 wrote:Thank you very much !
Prior to establishing our concealed carry laws, you would have been able to carry under the "prudent person" defense.

Prosecutor: "Why did you have a gun?"

Defendant: "Because in that area, you'd be an idiot not to have one."

Judge: "Case dismissed!"
:lol: Although it might've worked that way in a few places in Ohio prior to licensed concealed carry, that certainly was NOT the way it worked in the Dayton area, or many other major cities. I was aware of someone back in the 80's that tried to use that same excuse for carrying, ended up with a conviction on his record. Unfortunately, the way it really happened is you had to have a reason specific to your circumstances, not that the area in general is a high crime area. For example, you were a business owner taking a deposit to the bank, or you had documented threats against you, etc. A anti gun politician from Dayton once got caught carrying, then claimed he needed to carry because of alleged death threats allegedly made against him by pro gun people. :roll: As far as I know he didn't have any proof of these threats, it's just that he said they happened, a report was filed somewhere, which could be good enough under the law.

Even if you had a valid excuse to carry concealed or in a car, it didn't mean you wouldn't be arrested if stopped. Just because Officer Bob in town A said you can carry might not mean anything to Officer Joe in town B or Deputy Jim bob in county C, or the OSP. It was an affirmative defense. If you were arrested you had the burden of proof in court to prove it. I had a tire issue on the side of the road once, nothing illegal, but a cop happened to show up. My handgun was taken and I was held up for over 20 minutes while a deputy conferred with someone else that later showed up, and then a supervisor about whether he should arrest me or not, even though another supervisor in that same dept. was the one who advised me to carry. It could've ended a lot worse though. He finally gave me my handgun back and let me go but he wasn't happy about it.