Change of Address

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

northhillguy

Change of Address

Post by northhillguy »

All,

Quick question, I can't find anything in the ORC or the Blue Book.

I have my CCW through Wayne County. I recently moved to tallmadge. According to a sheriff there I do not need to get issued a new card, but I do I need to update my address anywhere?

Any advice would be great.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Change of Address

Post by WY_Not »

You can call the issuing sheriff's department and let them know or if you want something a little more tangible you can send them a registered letter. As long as you notify them, you are good.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
docachna

Post by docachna »

WY_Not wrote:You can call the issuing sheriff's department and let them know or if you want something a little more tangible you can send them a registered letter. As long as you notify them, you are good.

This.

Knew a guy who phoned his "buddy" at the SO and told him of his move. Some time later, got minorly jammed up at his new abode. New PD raised h e l l about his OLTCACH not displaying his new address. His buddy had since moved on from the SO, to the surprise of my friend who had no way to prove he had notified him. I'll let you use your imagination from there................. :|
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'd probably do the registered letter and make sure it had as the return address my new address of course. To be honest, a registered letter doesn't mean much - it just means you sent a letter, it doesn't confirm the contents. Still better than nothing - which is what you have if you call and tell them. As there is no actual penalty in the law for failing to do so, even if you notify them in a way that leaves no trace there isn't much they can do but give you a hard time.

If you want an updated card with the new address, you can get one for $15. Some may find that comforting.

As to the ORC, here's the section you were looking for:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2923.126 Duties of licensed individual.

(A) A concealed handgun license that is issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code shall expire five years after the date of issuance. A licensee who has been issued a license under that section shall be granted a grace period of thirty days after the licensee's license expires during which the licensee's license remains valid. Except as provided in divisions (B) and (C) of this section, a licensee who has been issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code may carry a concealed handgun anywhere in this state if the licensee also carries a valid license and valid identification when the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun. The licensee shall give notice of any change in the licensee's residence address to the sheriff who issued the license within forty-five days after that change.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I called the days in a row. Nobody answered, so I left a message. I did my part.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

I sent an email. The first time I got no response - but I did my part. The second time I saved the response (with the sent email attached) in my "saved" email folder.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
STX440Case

Post by STX440Case »

Montgomery County does not accept phone calls for change of address, they only accept in writing so I spent 10 minutes on the computer typed up a nice letter and mailed to thwm certified that way I knew someone there received it.
docachna

Post by docachna »

JustaShooter wrote: To be honest, a registered letter doesn't mean much - it just means you sent a letter, it doesn't confirm the contents.
The closest you can ever come to establishing the content of a registered letter is by showing the mailing receipt # at the top of the letter:

"VIA CERTIFIED MAIL - No. 38261145-A"

I've told my employer exactly what you just said above, for the last 20 years now. You're proving nothing by just sending a letter certified mail, other than you sent them something. Good luck proving what was in it.

Produce that letter, and produce the matching receipt, and while it's not a slam-dunk, it's more credible than just a mailing receipt which, as you noted, only proves that you sent "something" by certified mail.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE