Carrying at work

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

GlockBlue

Carrying at work

Post by GlockBlue »

Quick question on the laws in Ohio.

My employer does not have any "gun buster" signs posted anywhere in the building. In the employee manual it does ban all dangerous weapons, firearms, etc... A book of which I have signed.

Now the question I have is that if I where to get caught with it, or heaven forbid had to use it. Would I be able to be charged criminally for violating the policy. I'm not worried about being fired from this job, I know Ohio is at will. The only fear I have is potentially being charged with a M4.

Like I said it's not posted on the building or in the break room etc...
docachna

Re: Carrying at work

Post by docachna »

GlockBlue wrote:Quick question on the laws in Ohio.

My employer does not have any "gun buster" signs posted anywhere in the building. In the employee manual it does ban all dangerous weapons, firearms, etc... A book of which I have signed.

Now the question I have is that if I where to get caught with it, or heaven forbid had to use it. Would I be able to be charged criminally for violating the policy. I'm not worried about being fired from this job, I know Ohio is at will. The only fear I have is potentially being charged with a M4.

No employee can be charged criminally for violating their employer's terms of employment. You've already acknowledged with your signature that their policy is "no weapons" at work. Since Ohio is an "at-will" employment state, they can fire you for any reason, or for no reason at all.The worst that can happen if you bring a weapon to work and get caught (in whatever circumstance) is they can fire you, which you have already said you don't care about.

If it were necessary to use your weapon at work, the fact that you were carrying it against your company's terms of employment would not result in any additional criminal charges. If you were charged criminally in connection with that use of your weapon, count on the prosecutor bringing it up at your trial that you knew your employer forbade weapons, but you brought it to work anyway. Not an element of the offense, but anything to make you look worse to the jury.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Welcome GlockBlue. Stick around and post more, okay?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
GlockBlue

Post by GlockBlue »

Oh I plan on posting more!! Just got my CCW, turned 21 a few weeks back. Already scheduled a defensive pistol class I'm going to take as well. My current job has me alone from 7 to 9pm, and we have some sketchy people come in sometimes and it's been getting worse. Really want to follow the laws as best I can, really don't mind if I got fired if they found out or I had to use it. Really just don't want a M4 charge though!
mreising

Post by mreising »

Since nobody has brought it up yet:
“Tweed’s Rules for Employees

1.) I do not own a gun, and I shall never talk to my co-workers about guns.

2.) I do not want to own a gun and I shall never talk to my co-workers about guns.

3.) I don't want to talk to anyone who owns a gun, and I shall never talk to my co-workers about guns.

4.) If someone is talking about guns, I shall walk away, and I shall never talk to my co-workers about guns.

5.) My hobbies are very interesting and entertaining, but, I shall never talk to my co-workers about guns.

6.) The hobbies of my significant other, (if any) and children (if any) are very interesting and entertaining but I shall never talk to my co-workers about guns.
And a link to the above post Tweed's Rule
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
rbel
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rbel »

IMHO You are not in violation of any criminal code if your work place is not posted and you have a valid CCW.

I carry at work everyday. The work place is not posted. Our employee handbook says "Unauthorized possession of dangerous or illegal firearms, weapons or explosives." As far as I'm concerned I am authorized by the State of Ohio to carry and I do not have illegal firearms. I have never discussed this with my employer. I do not talk about guns, owning guns, or any of my political beliefs (I did this before ever reading pop's rules, it's only common sense.)
The way I figure it is they will only know I am carrying if I save my or another employee's life from a BG. If so, let the chips fall where they may. You can't find a new job if your dead.

BTW. I work at a law firm and we have more than our fair share of scumbags coming through the doors.
robbo

Post by robbo »

docachna wrote:
GlockBlue wrote:Quick question on the laws in Ohio.

No employee can be charged criminally for violating their employer's terms of employment. You've already acknowledged with your signature that their policy is "no weapons" at work. Since Ohio is an "at-will" employment state, they can fire you for any reason, or for no reason at all.The worst that can happen if you bring a weapon to work and get caught (in whatever circumstance) is they can fire you, which you have already said you don't care about.

If it were necessary to use your weapon at work, the fact that you were carrying it against your company's terms of employment would not result in any additional criminal charges. If you were charged criminally in connection with that use of your weapon, count on the prosecutor bringing it up at your trial that you knew your employer forbade weapons, but you brought it to work anyway. Not an element of the offense, but anything to make you look worse to the jury.

docachna good reply and correct info - 'employment at will' you can quit at any time, you can be fired at any time reason or no reason. (Sure, they will make up a reason) Employers state all kinds of crap in their company handbooks to protect themselves if someone files a lawsuit or go back on should someone file an unemployment claim against them. They can then pull out the company handbook and point to the rule or rules that employee did not follow in hopes to deny their unemployment claim.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

rbel wrote:...

BTW. I work at a law firm and we have more than our fair share of scumbags coming through the doors.
And sometimes, they're with clients.

:P
MyWifeSaidYes
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
rbel wrote:...

And sometimes, they're with clients.

:P
Abandon ye all HOPE!
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

I really like docachna('s) answer.

I really despise "Tweed’s Rules for Employees". I realize maybe they are "toungue in cheek", or that I have NEVER worked for a anti-gun employer. How can you share the Second Amendment with people with THAT attitude? :roll:

I have a 12" diameter NRA Life Member sticker on my lower machinists tool box. If someone don't like it? Tough manure.

Do you have metal detectors at the doorway entrance at work? Think about that question. Then don't post your answer.

Be safe! :)
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JU-87 wrote:I really like docachna('s) answer.

I really despise "Tweed’s Rules for Employees". I realize maybe they are "toungue in cheek", or that I have NEVER worked for a anti-gun employer. How can you share the Second Amendment with people with THAT attitude? :roll:

I have a 12" diameter NRA Life Member sticker on my lower machinists tool box. If someone don't like it? Tough manure.

Do you have metal detectors at the doorway entrance at work? Think about that question. Then don't post your answer.

Be safe! :)
They aren't tongue in cheek for those that work subject to such rules and who want to keep their livelihood intact.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

And eventually one must decide which is more important; getting their pieces of silver or holding on to core values and principles.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

GlockBlue wrote:Oh I plan on posting more!! Just got my CCW, turned 21 a few weeks back. Already scheduled a defensive pistol class I'm going to take as well. My current job has me alone from 7 to 9pm, and we have some sketchy people come in sometimes and it's been getting worse. Really want to follow the laws as best I can, really don't mind if I got fired if they found out or I had to use it. Really just don't want a M4 charge though!
A general location in your profile might possibly help with future discussions. Let us know how the defensive pistol class goes. Many of us are up for hearing about different training opportunities.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

WY_Not wrote:And eventually one must decide which is more important; getting their pieces of silver or holding on to core values and principles.
It's much easier to stick to your core values and principles when your family and here are not homeless and hungry.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

We all make choices. No one is forced to work at a particular place or for a particular company.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.