OFCC Bylaws

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

OFCC Bylaws

Post by Chuck »

This is the link to Ohioans For Concealed Carry's newly adopted bylaws

http://ohioccw.org/images/Bylaws2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
gilly32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: OFCC Bylaws

Post by gilly32 »

Chuck-Is there someplace online that lists the names of the Board of Directors and Executive Officers? I checked the main site, but did not find anything.

Thank you.
"The right to keep and bear arms is rooted in both self-defense and insurance against government’s propensity toward tyranny. The right pre-existed the Constitution. Thus, the Second Amendment is not its source. The right to keep and bear arms is natural and inalienable; the Second Amendment protects it, and Congress has no legitimate power to restrict it." - Senator John Cornyn (R., Tex.), as reported in the National Review on July 4, 2016

Burma Shave
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

gilly32 wrote:Chuck-Is there someplace online that lists the names of the Board of Directors and Executive Officers? I checked the main site, but did not find anything.

Thank you.
Board of Directors:
Jeff Garvas
Bryan Torok
Gary Witt
Doug Deeken
Kevin Deye
Kim Campbell
Chuck LaRosa
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Thanks Chuck. Dang you're doing it all around here lately... :lol: Yep, stirrin' the pot, all in fun.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I think one of those is a Director In Spirit. (D.I.S.)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Morne wrote:
gilly32 wrote:Chuck-Is there someplace online that lists the names of the Board of Directors and Executive Officers? I checked the main site, but did not find anything.

Thank you.
Board of Directors:
Jeff Garvas
Bryan Torok
Gary Witt
Doug Deeken
Kevin Deye
Kim Campbell
Chuck LaRosa
We have some forum labels to change, it looks like.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Testing mine....
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Mustang380gal wrote:
Morne wrote:

Thank you.
Board of Directors:
Jeff Garvas
Bryan Torok
Gary Witt
Doug Deeken
Kevin Deye
Kim Campbell
Chuck LaRosa
We have some forum labels to change, it looks like.
I think I got us. Thanks for catching that.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Okay, so when is the annual meeting/elections? And can we at that time propose bylaw changes?

EDIT:

Whoops, found the section about bylaw changes by the membership. So do I take any such petition around the state myself to get the other forty nine signatures?

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Okay I waited well over a month so this isn't stated in haste or anger etc: I think the "Emeritus Director" rule is bad. Anyone else want to weigh in on that, or anything else they see in the bylaws?

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

We need a Chaplin on board.....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:Okay, so when is the annual meeting/elections? And can we at that time propose bylaw changes?

EDIT:

Whoops, found the section about bylaw changes by the membership. So do I take any such petition around the state myself to get the other forty nine signatures?
Well, I wasn't part of the making of these as I was brought on the board right after, but I'll take a stab...

You need to get 50 signatures (yourself not included) and submit that along with the required info to the President of OFCC. Then he can present it to the Board. If 2/3 of the board agree, so 5 our of 7, then it will pass. If only 4 out 7 agree then it can be passed onto the general membership where 2/3 of them that vote in the selected method agree.
Brian D. wrote:Okay I waited well over a month so this isn't stated in haste or anger etc: I think the "Emeritus Director" rule is bad. Anyone else want to weigh in on that, or anything else they see in the bylaws?
I agree and know why it was created.

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Brian D. wrote:Okay I waited well over a month so this isn't stated in haste or anger etc: I think the "Emeritus Director" rule is bad. Anyone else want to weigh in on that, or anything else they see in the bylaws?
IMO rules like that help ensure that the organization will always be a pet project for people who no longer have the time or interest to invest in it but enjoy the benefits or prestige too much to voluntarily step away. Then throw in a few rules that make it very difficult for anybody but the establishment to change the rules and you get a stagnant organization. Even multi-billion dollar organizations have clear succession plans and work to ensure that no single person or group of people get to hang around beyond their usefulness. On a related note, why is it that whenever there's a need for a quote from the gun rights folks it's that other guy from that other organization, and not OFCC? Why is it that when bills are being debated in committee or on the floor the NRA and that other organization get called out as having worked to make it a better bill with OFCC sometimes getting an "also supported by" aside?

As I get older I've come to appreciate two scarce resources even more: my time and my money. If something seems like a worthwhile cause and the outfit thrives on new blood and new ideas I'll gladly give both. But if all you want is my money then it's time for me to move on.

I was a patron supporter for several years, as difficult as it was to actually get OFCC to reliably take my money online. Not once did I receive a ballot for anything or even an email telling me how to vote, despite meeting that two years' membership requirement. Emails to the head of the shop went unanswered. I even handled the OFCC post office box for a time, sorting incoming mail, sending checks where they belonged and forwarding other correspondence to the proper person at my time and expense. No complaint there since I volunteered to do it, but you'd think that if the guy you trust to handle your mail says "hey, I'm a dues paying member, any idea why I still can't vote?" I'd get the courtesy of a reply.

So it was with mixed emotions that I let my membership lapse and have significantly scaled back my participation on the forums. That doesn't mean I'm not still advocating for the cause - I'm in regular contact with my elected officials both by letter and at events in the district. They know where I stand and have even sought my input from time to time, unprompted. Sad when politicians care more about my opinion than an outfit I pay for the privilege of belonging to.

Anyway, that's my perspective in case anybody cares or wondered why I went months without posting anything. Sorry to be a complainer but this has been bugging me for a while although I've pretty much moved on to keep it from bothering me like it used to. Just constructive feedback in case anyone is interested. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and may everyone have a joyous and prosperous new year!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Morne wrote:

Thank you.
Board of Directors:
Jeff Garvas
Bryan Torok
Gary Witt
Doug Deeken
Kevin Deye
Kim Campbell
Chuck LaRosa
Since this post, Gary Witt, Doug Deeken, and Kim Campbell have officially resigned.
And Kevin Deye simply dropped out without notice.
I guess that leaves Jeff, Byran, and myself.
Didn't realize that
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Thanks for carrying the torch.