When to Draw Your Gun

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

robbo

When to Draw Your Gun

Post by robbo »

This has never happened to me, but at what point do you draw your firearm?
I know its put distance, avoid and retreat if possible, but what if some thug keeps following you after you told him to back off and your avoiding the situation? I dont want to pull my gun unless absolutely necessary, but how would you get this thug to back off if he kept persuing?
If I were to verbally warn him to back off and he keep mouthing and following I better be on high alert, but at what point would you draw your gun? could be a possible shootout situation.
This is just something that came to mind and wanted to see what other CCW people thought and if there is any 'true' answer or law for this type of scenerio. Thanks!
ArmedAviator

Re: When to Draw Your Gun

Post by ArmedAviator »

Comparing to what some recommend here, in my mind I am more ready to pull my gun in the event it may be needed.

Upholstering my gun and having it at low ready may be much sooner than some here.

If I pull my gun, I feel a legitimate threat exists. If I feel that legitimate threat, I can articulate that to a LEO (with a lawyer). If I have to aim my gun, than things are much worse.

There have been times when I had my gun in hand out of sight in my car with nearby passer-bys while stuck in traffic in not-so-great neighborhoods that o have no choice but going through.

I believe there is no wrong answer to your question so long as it is reasonable. Just be aware of your surroundings and repercussions. If you upholster, prepare to evac the area ASAP regardless of how any confrontation or non-confrontation goes.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Ability. Opportunity. Jeopardy. Preclusion.

My firearm is lethal force. If I bring it into play, it is because I am actively fearing for my life. It is not an amulet to ward off evil. It's neither a bluff nor a threat. It is there to protect my life, period.

If my gun is coming out, the foregone conclusion in my mind is that it's a deadly force scenario, and that I am ready to employ deadly force.

We've crossed that line, burned that bridge.

If as the muzzle is pointing towards that threat or even if he/she/they decide to turn-tail and run away up to the very point before my trigger breaks, sure, I'd be most glad to disengage and -NOT- break that trigger and send that bullet towards them. If they cease to be a threat, I'll cease to treat them as one.

My firearm is lethal force that's used to stop a lethal threat against me.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Maintaining awareness can prevent you from having to draw. Maintaining awareness can keep you from having to fire after the draw. The latter has been the case for me twice over several years. In one instance I was taking the slack out of a double action trigger when the attackers broke off. That's cutting things extremely close but it was the right course of action.

Pay attention to what is going on around you. All the time.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
robbo

Post by robbo »

I dont disagree with the posts, good info, but I guess theres a fine line making the call as to if this would be an actual threat or not.
I suppose if they proceeded to follow to my parked car, some type of altercation is going to occur.
And I also agree that any time the weapon is drawn it is intended for use, not as 'Im going to show you what you could get if you dont leave' which could only escalate the situation and even cause a gunfight.
Its just bothersome to know that any time a firearm is drawn, even if for just cause, its going to be time to 'attorney up' if law enforcement gets called. And needing to go to court is a crap shoot. Ive experienced it multiple times before, not due to my own defense, but for others.

I could be rambling on here, but like I was saying, this are just thoughts that have occured to me. Maybe theres a good article or other sites/posts someone could direct me to for reading into such scenerios. :)
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Call 911...ASAP....go into a business, store , gas station...if you have no choice and you have met the requierments to use deadly force then you can tell numb nuts that you are armed and will protect yourself if he doesn't hit the road. if that does not work and you are about to get your head crushed,draw your weapon....that will most likely make him beat it...if he attacks you then defend yourself..
Drawing your weapon does not mean you have to use it...if you have to then you better have the mind set that you can.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
docachna

Post by docachna »

I've had twice now in about 6 or 7 years where simply facing the BG, uncovering the (concealed) pistol and placing my hand firmly on it so they could see what I was grasping, and taking a "ready to draw" position, accompanied by "I'VE GOT NOTHING THAT YOU WANT !!!! GET OUT !!!!" yelled clearly to them, seemed to immediately take the wind out of their sails. Won't work every time, but it worked these two times.

What would I have done if they kept coming ?? My choices were few. Jumping in the car and running was not an option, so............... :|
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
marca

Post by marca »

There is a difference between drawing it and pointing it at someone. If you have "that feeling", trust your gut and draw and be ready. The situation could change from bad to worse instantly and you want to be ready. If nothing happens, quietly reholster and be glad.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

robbo wrote: Its just bothersome to know that any time a firearm is drawn, even if for just cause, its going to be time to 'attorney up' if law enforcement gets called. And needing to go to court is a crap shoot.
Being righteous isn't always easy. :)

There's multiple layers of defense that we must have ready for that violent encounter, and it should include the aftermath as well.

I agree, it sucks. It totally sucks. But it's the reality of the world we live in today.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Check out shoot - no shoot scenarios online too.

I've had the chance to see some of these from the Armed Response series of DVDs and have found them eye opening.. :shock:
http://www.armedresponsetraining.com/pr ... vts005.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shows such as 'The Best Defense' (Outdoor channel) also touch on these scenarios and usually show multiple possible outcomes of such situations. They can also be found online.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

robbo wrote:I dont disagree with the posts, good info, but I guess theres a fine line making the call as to if this would be an actual threat or not.
I suppose if they proceeded to follow to my parked car, some type of altercation is going to occur.
In that case I recommend getting in the car & driving away. You can't use your gun because of "some type" of altercation. It has to be deadly force (incl. severe bodily injury) and the altercation has to be reasonably believed to be imminent, not just possible.

Here's advice I got from a lawyer, and which I personally follow because it makes sense to me: Your gun is for when you must use it to preserve your life or the life of a loved one. It's a last resort. If there's another option that doesn't put you at likely risk of deadly force, use it. Even if that means leaving a public area you have the right to be at. Even if doing so makes you feel smaller and like the other guy "wins".

As you've said, if you have to use your gun, even if you're 100% legally justified, there are going to be impacts to you. Depending on how things go down the impacts could be severe. Sure use your gun if you have to, but it's in your best interests to only use it when you really have to.

I usually carry pepper spray and a flashlight in addition to my gun. Not every scenario legally justifies deadly force, and I don't want to be the "if all I have is a hammer, every problem is a nail" guy.

My 2c.
Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ray81 »

Condition 1 and drawing your handgun.

If you escalate a confrontation by throwing the first punch, attacking, or drawing your handgun, you are the aggressor. Most likely in this situation, you cannot legitimately claim self-defense nor would you
likely succeed in proving your affirmative defense.

I think displaying your handgun by lifting your shirt is legally ok since ohio is an open carry state.. but I wouldn't touch my gun unless I'm physically attacked, but if BG already has a weapon drawn and walking towards me.. then I'm in fear for my life. My 2c.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Here's an odd scenario...

https://blog.hsoi.com/2016/09/14/you-ju ... cordingly/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Semi-relevant: This week it's turned a little cool and rainy. Wearing a light jacket adds pocket space. Sometimes in the summer I omit a flashlight or pepper spray from carry gear. That issue's now solved for the next several months. Point being I prefer the option of having that less-than-lethal pepper at hand. Not only for actual use, but showing it to someone who seems to be edging towards getting a taste of it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
robbo wrote:I dont disagree with the posts, good info, but I guess theres a fine line making the call as to if this would be an actual threat or not.
In that case I recommend getting in the car & driving away. You can't use your gun because of "some type" of altercation. It has to be deadly force (incl. severe bodily injury) and the altercation has to be reasonably believed to be imminent, not just possible.
+1.

If you can drive away, drive away.

Ability. Opportunity. Jeopardy. Preclusion.