Employer Question

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CCWHolder

Employer Question

Post by CCWHolder »

Good day everyone,

I have another scenario that crossed my mind:

Scenario: My friend works at a workplace that has a "No Firearms" sign at the entrance of the employee only parking entryway. She takes her weapon everywhere and occasionally takes a few morning errands before work then returns home and has to keep her weapon at home before she goes to work because of this posting. She works at a private firm that is not included in the State of Ohio's restricted buildings/institutions.

Question 1: If, for some reason, she has to go straight to work because without dropping off her weapon otherwise she would be incredibly late, can her workplace still pursue legal action against her, including employment separation?

Question 2: If something dreadful happens to her after she leaves work, that could have been prevented if she had her weapon on her, in the State of Ohio, can she legally turn around and take action against her employer if she can prove that the incident happened on the property where she works or occurred immediately after she left work?

Question 3: If she had threats against her from terrorist organizations (She was prior Army) (Her name was on a list stolen by ISIS from the government with her prior rank, home address, etc) could she talk to her employer about possibly having a private agreement to allow her to keep her weapon on her, even while at work?

Yall answered my last questions promptly and detailed, and I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again for your time.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Employer Question

Post by WY_Not »

Been discussed many times.

#1 - Ohio is an at will state. They can fire her because she has the wrong color shoes on that day or for no reason at all.

#2 - No.

#3 - Yes. However, refer to #1.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
CCWHolder

Post by CCWHolder »

WY_Not wrote:Been discussed many times.

#1 - Ohio is an at will state. They can fire her because she has the wrong color shoes on that day or for no reason at all.

#2 - No.

#3 - Yes. However, refer to #1.
I figured it was, and so e of the discussion posts I read were worded too simply and didn't get the answers I was looking for.

Thanks a lot WY!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Her best bet is to have that firearm safely stowed in her vehicle DAILY. She is not breaking any (criminal) law by doing so, she does have to understand that it puts her employment at risk, but as was said... in an at-will state, they can choose to terminate her simply because she wears the wrong color shoes.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Somewhere on these forums are Tweed Ring's rules of employment (or something of that nature). I'd advise using the search feature and read them. The short of it pretty much tells you to keep your mouth shut when it comes to work, coworkers, and guns.

RIP Tweed..
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

TJW815 wrote:Somewhere on these forums are Tweed Ring's rules of employment (or something of that nature). I'd advise using the search feature and read them. The short of it pretty much tells you to keep your mouth shut when it comes to work, coworkers, and guns.

RIP Tweed..
Here ya' go: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... s#p4356631
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.