CC for Mrs

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

CC for Mrs

Post by Gramps »

Wifey took her CC training Sunday and is submitting her application tomorrow to the Sheriff's dept.

She has small hands and statue and would like to carry something small and lite like a 32 or 22 semi or double action for pocket carry.

She has a 22 (HR22) she likes to shoot but it is to heavy for her liking and a little big for pocket carry.

My LCP has a bit to much bite for her but fits the weight and size to her liking.

She loves my LC9S but it is just to large for her liking to carry.

Any ideas?
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: CC for Mrs

Post by Javelin Man »

Beretta Tomcat .32
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

S&W M&P 22, Ruger SR22 would be worth looking at.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Have you tried a lighter load ammo for the LCP? Ruger also chambers it now in 9mm..
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Aesinsp wrote:... Ruger also chambers it now in 9mm..
They have lots of awesome colors for the LCP, but the 9mm is the LC9, which is a larger gun. Still pretty small, though.

They DO have that larger LC9 in .380, conveniently called the LC380. Putting a low-recoil .380 defensive round in that slightly bigger (but almost twice as heavy) gun should give her a good experience and easier control.
MyWifeSaidYes
someguy

Post by someguy »

Maybe a ruger lcr in 22 loaded with stingers? It holds 8 rounds while staying small and light. Love mine.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Aesinsp wrote:... Ruger also chambers it now in 9mm..
They have lots of awesome colors for the LCP, but the 9mm is the LC9, which is a larger gun. Still pretty small, though.

They DO have that larger LC9 in .380, conveniently called the LC380. Putting a low-recoil .380 defensive round in that slightly bigger (but almost twice as heavy) gun should give her a good experience and easier control.
Doh! Right you are.. standing corrected. I meant to suggest the LCR in lighter load 9mm. :oops:
AND I see the OP started this off with an LCP reference. I totally pictured the LCR & looked up Ruger's info accordingly.. that's it, back to sleep for me.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
docachna

Post by docachna »

My wife initially had that problem with her Walther PPS 9 mm. A good instructor can work through the recoil problem with your wife in short order. Once my wife realized that the weapon was not going to take her hand off, she forgot about it entirely and concentrated on grip and point-and-shoot (she's not big on sight picture - and I don't encourage sight-picture).

My thought is, as some have said, a bit more gun, with a bit lighter load, and a bit of knowledgeable instruction on how to deal with muzzle lift, and I'll bet the problem goes away very quickly.

Kudos to her for taking the class and getting her license, BTW !!!!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

I may look for some lighter .380 loads to see how the LCP does for her. She does like the LC9S but a little big for pocket carry.

The 22's sound appealing but it is her pistol in the end and she will make the final choice.

MWSY, don't tell my wife about the cool colors, she will want different ones that match every purse change :(

We are going to a friends house in a few days to shoot. He has a keltec 32 and his wife has an sr22 for Wifey to try and hopefully our friend who is much more experienced in handgun shooting that me may offer Wifey some good advice. He is also a retired HS teacher!
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

someguy wrote:Maybe a ruger lcr in 22 loaded with stingers? It holds 8 rounds while staying small and light. Love mine.
I own a Ruger LCR 9mm, and a couple of J frame Smith & Wesson revolvers in .38 special. They have reasonably light double action trigger pulls. The .22 rim fire versions of those guns don't. That's because the makers know that rim fire ignition can be a little dicey, and the hammer/firing pin needs more power to alleviate this. That fact makes them tough for smaller handed, weaker fingered individuals to shoot well. (Sorry about the careful verbiage, it's not correct or politically correct to say "old people and women" in this context.)

Can the trigger pull on these .22's be lightened? Yes. Should they be, for serious use? From what I've seen, nope.

These sorts of foibles and trade offs are why it's important for shooters (especially less experienced ones) to test drive before buying whenever possible.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

No need to be politically correct with us old people in this house! We know we are old!
Thanks for your insight!
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
Qfac

Post by Qfac »

Buy a bigger gun and hover her shoot it a lot, once she feels comfortable then shrink down. Remember you do not shoot tons or rounds through those little carry guns, Need to feel secure but they are not target pistols. Shoot 100 rounds though a big gun and 10 though the little one. It will become no big deal.
NRA Endowment Life Member

"Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

The keltec P32 you speak of that you'll be shooting in a couple days may be just the ticket. Very small but the recoil is a lot, lot easier to handle than the P3At or LCP. I use a small strip of racket grip tape on the grip where it hits the web of my hand and another one down the length of the front of grip. Both give me a better purchase of the gun and softer recoil.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Aesinsp wrote:... that's it, back to sleep for me.
Sleep?

What is "sleep"?

:P
MyWifeSaidYes
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Javelin Man wrote:Beretta Tomcat .32
I also suggest ^ that - PICTURES
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788